Finally broke the mile mark

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kehoes23

Reaction score
I went to Red Glare on Saturday with my brother and a friend. It was my friends first time to a rocket launch at MDRA, and he was like a little kid in a candy shop and had a great time, I always do when I attend Red Glare. The last rocket launch my brother has been to was Roar At The Shore (R.A.T.S.) back in 1997, so it's been a while for him, so hopefully he will become a B.A.R.

I broke the mile mark with my Madcow Super DX3 aka Resident Evil rocket. It took me a few hours to prep the rocket since this is the heaviest and biggest motor that I have launched so far so I wanted to be safe and triple check every step before moving to the next step.
The rocket is 4" dia. and about 5' tall, with two altimiters a RRC2 mini as the main and a StrattoLoger SL100 as the back up. An 18" drouge and a 60" main chute was used for the recovery, 1.5 grams of BP for the main seperation and 1.7 grams of BP for the backup seperation with two 2-56 nylon shear pins in the drouge and main chute.
I used an Aerotech K550 to launch the rocket.
At the pad the weight of the rocket came in at 14.4 Lbs.
The StrattoLoger SL100 read out and alt. of 5,553 feet
The RRC2 mini read out an alt. of 5,211 feet
So, this is my personal best and highest atl. So far.:horse::marshmallow:

Congrats on joining the mile high club !

Onward and upward, whats next L3 or two miles ...or both at once ?

Any victory lap pics?

Kenny

thanks guys, I have video of the launch, but I have to load it up on youtube. I was able to get the flight profile from the SL100 strattologer, I'll post the key moments of the flight

time alt. speed (mph)
4.2 1,572' 636 this was the rockets fastest speed.
time alt. speed (mph)
19 5,553, 0 this was the rockets highest altitude.
time alt. speed (mph) back up drouge deploy with 2 second delay
20.75 5,506' -39
time alt. speed (mph) back up main deploy
153.70 700' -10

RRC2 Mini primary altimiter
time alt. speed (mph) primary drouge chute
18.75 5,553' 8
time alt. speed (mph) primary main chute
135.25 900' -13
flight time from launch to ground 219.55 seconds

Congrats on joining the mile high club !

Onward and upward, whats next L3 or two miles ...or both at once ?

Any victory lap pics?

Kenny

i would like to do L3 and 2 miles at once but the wife would make me sleep in the car lol, maybe just the 2 mile for now

if anyone that was at red glare on saturday and took pics of the launch, please post them on this thread and send them to me, thank you.
it was the orange and white rocket named Alice i launched it around 10:30.

:w: :wave:

Congrats! I've only done it twice. Once on a J350 in a PML Amraam 3 and once with a K360 in a Formula 98. But I got to 5220 on J760 with the same F98.

Congrats, love those K550's. Did over a mile with my Thor 4 and a K550. Hope the walk wasn't to long. Had to drive 2 miles to get mine at MDRA

Back