who uses both open rocket and rocsim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
I am doing some research on tube fin design and got rocsim 9 today . So how many of you uses both ? Now I love using open rocket . Does what I want and can change things around to make things work the best . But for tube fins and pods and other non standard fin rockets you would need rocsim . Is this a normal thing just to have both ? Thanks chris

I reluctantly joined the ranks of users of both for exactly those reasons: pods and tube fins. Still trying to find my way around Rocksim....

I reluctantly joined the ranks of users of both for exactly those reasons: pods and tube fins. Still trying to find my way around Rocksim....

I learned OpenRocket. Got Rocksim recently. For a program you have to spend so much money on, it sure isn't intuitive. I'm getting better with it though. It does not seem to have all motors loaded in the bank like OR does. +10 to the OR guys for such a fantastic product. Just wish the tube fin/fin to transition was on OR.

Mark

I learned OpenRocket. Got Rocksim recently. For a program you have to spend so much money on, it sure isn't intuitive. I'm getting better with it though. It does not seem to have all motors loaded in the bank like OR does. +10 to the OR guys for such a fantastic product. Just wish the tube fin/fin to transition was on OR.

Mark
It's not intuitive if you're used to Openrocket. If you're used to Rocksim, Openrocket is just as quirky.

I've both, but use Rocksim. I guess, for me, it's a little easier to run.

I have had Rocksim for almost 10 years now. Loved it from day one! I had no problem figuring it out right away. As long as you understand standard rocketry components, it just a top-down build. i picked up a copy of Open Rocket about a year or so ago (3-4 releases now). I must say its very "purdy"! It's a bit to quirky for my tastes though. Hat's off to the developers and contributors though! But... if you can afford the $100+ price tag of Rocksim.. do it! It just plain works! I'd say 99.99% of any quirks have been eliminated. Anything you want to do has been done and documented. I am keeping my eye on Open Rocket. It's day may come!

Jerome

I suppose a "poll" of who uses what would start a flame war akin to vi vs emacs or Win vs Mac vs Linux? Allow checking of all boxes someone uses, not just one vote per user?

It's not intuitive if you're used to Openrocket. If you're used to Rocksim, Openrocket is just as quirky.

Which is why I just said I was finding my way around Rocksim. It's different, that's all.

The main thing that has thrown me is the different handling of simulations (loading motors and such).

I use both, and love both. I like that I can put my OR Sims on my Android for flight details on the go.

Rocksim's flight UI is pretty damn intuitive. Click, click, select motor, click select delay, launch. Done. OR is the worst. I have to create a sim, add a this, add a that, OMG its TERRIBLE.

It's free, and people are cheap... fine. It has pretty 3D graphics... big whoop.

Yes, it's open source, and yes I could easily clean the UI (and the code!) up. But when you do it for a living, you don't necessarily want to do it at night.

OTOH ROCKSIM:
SAVE EARLY AND OFTEN. It WILL crash. I have both the PC and MAC versions. The PC version is slightly more stable. SAVE after every change to the design. I mean it!! I've lost a lot of hours since ROCKSIM 4 on lost rocket designs. The MAC versions I can crash in a few minutes if I want to. I run the PC version on Parallels. In particular save before you delete anything! The bugs are numerous and on going (I love the you can not edit two things at once bug - just open a body tube and save it without changing anything to get rid of it).

Because of the UI I don't use OR enough to know it's stability.

Back