White baron Mk. II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iter

HPR Glider Driver
Reaction score
Elmer's foamboard. Wingspan 20". Three identical wing surfaces. Canard offset vertically to position MMT halfway between main wings.

Flew surprisingly well on E30 last night. Going to try again at Snow Ranch today.

Ari.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397321855.405170.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397321877.297273.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397321894.604090.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1397321914.257458.jpg

Like this very much, Ari!!

IN fact, I'd even say this looks better than a 'stock' Jenny config.

Keep 'em comin'!

Of course at the NAR launch today this went right into the ground under power :=(

Ari.

Of course at the NAR launch today this went right into the ground under power :=(

Ari.

Darn, sorry to hear about that, especially in front of the crowd!!

Why do you think that it did well on the first flight, but somehow dorked here? I'm guessing that this just spits the motor casing to transition from boost CG to glide CG, right? Funny thing, is that I'd have thought that since there's little real weight in a burned out 24x70 casing, that this would likely boost straight under power, then arc during coast, before ejection at a reduced altitude. Or, if the initial loaded boost CG is not quite far enough forward, just loop into the ground under power in a pitch arc. Since the first flight obviously worked, what could have changed on the second, assuming no other variables were present?

Maybe the increase in wind was a factor? Or, if launched in a higher wind from a long launch rod, some whip may have been induced? I'm sure you'll figure out soon enough and get back on 'em.

I am surprised by the forward most wing on this mega-baron. I can see that it would structural strength, but otherwise it is very different from the other mega-baron designs I have seen.

My purpose in modifying the shape like that is twofold. I can use tree identical wings that are easy to cut with hot wire or build with ribs and spars, so it's cheap to make larger versions. I also notice that in larger sizes the swept-back canards become very floppy. This shape gives me straight, uninterrupted spars in all three wings. I want to make shorter wings next time, and move the canard further out. Wingspan on this version is 20" and length from trailing edge to leading edge is 16". I want to do 18"x18" next.

The difference at the LUNAR launch is wind, mostly. It was strong, and I launched into it rather than downwind as geography had forced me in my local park. The glider did a half inside loop right off the rod. Perhaps a longer rod would produce a different result.

Ari.

Last edited:
I took a close up look at the White Baron on its way down. The canard is at the bottom. To me it looks like it warped and some of the paper delammed. Note the kink in both the canard and the wing at the same place , plus the fuzzy triangle extending from the lower side. Cmos cameras can do strange things but I don't think that is what this is.

Richard

Ari's baron delam.png

Back