Nose cone terminology question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No, I'm not going to ask how to pronounce "ogive"

Is there a definitive definition for what constitutes the shoulder of the nose cone? Is it just the "step down" from the OD to the ID of the tube? Or is it the portion of the nose cone that is inserted in the tube? (I have seen on TRF post that referred to this as the "shank"). Or is the shoulder both parts?

Ok Fred, John, and you other folks who seem to have encyclopedic memories: What is the "official" definition of shoulder?

Funny; I was just reading the instructions for an old kit (MRI Lepus) and it referred to the inserty-part as a "tenon."

But I've always read and used "shoulder" to mean the inserty part.

I don't know if there is a separate term for a rear tapered portion of a cone.

But I've always read and used "shoulder" to mean the inserty part.
I think most people do. But, technically, the shoulder is the lip where the diameter steps up from the tenon to the exposed forward section.

Doug

Funny; I was just reading the instructions for an old kit (MRI Lepus) and it referred to the inserty-part as a "tenon."
That's a good word, I'll have to remember that. "Shoulder" for the transition lip and "tenon" for the part the sockets into the airframe.

I remember watching the New Yankee Workshop years ago where a "tenon" was not defined the same as the butt end of a nose cone. A tenon described by Merriam Webster's is:
Full Definition of TENON
: a projecting member in a piece of wood or other material for insertion into a mortise to make a joint.

This is not a joint for the nose cone, but it is a place for it to go. I wouldn't consider an airframe as a mortise. Maybe a junction point or a fitting?
I searched various sites on the matter, some being people that "turn their own." And most describe it as being a shoulder. No matter. I will call it a shoulder regardless. This is almost right up there with the "engine / motor" debate.

Wow. I hope you guys hurry and fix this dilemma, I am not going to be able to sleep tonight until you do.

And it is "motor"

Back