doing some research on tube fin design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
Well flew the super evil minion last weekend . Didn't end very well . So off to read articles on the subject. Reading everything from Larry brand and his work on the tube fin . He did a L3 tube fin so has itar (sp) looking to do his big dumb rocket . But in six inch . So the fins will be 6" tall ( messed that up on the SEM) and six of them make the nose cone from sono tube ring and blue foam . Keep it short 40" tall at the most and a 54mm hole . This should be a busy summer

Last edited:
We saw Larry fly a tube fin rocket made from the CTI 54mm shipping tubes last weekend at SD TRAs monthly launch , at the new 98S range.

Recycling at its best.

Kenny

Last edited:
I have a few of the AT tubes from the I 280 DM and always have tubes from my cti reloads . I was thinking about doing one with the tubes I gets as well

Just out of curiosity, has anyone made/flown a rocket with non-circular tube fins. I assume you would still call them "tube" fins...

We saw Larry fly a tube fin rocket made from the CTI 54mm shipping tubes last weekend at SD TRAs monthly launch , at the new 98S range.

Recycling at its best.

Kenny

Here is a quick pic..

1397324124014.jpg

I am working on my Level 2 rocket. It will have tube fins and be 4 inches in diameter. Eight of them with two different lengths. I love tube fin rockets.

Andrew

Yes I'm designing my L 3 rocket or just playing with it right now . A 97" 7.51" loc tube fin with 7.51" tube fins that is 7.51" tall going short and adding length as I go . Looking good so far at 1.07 cal weight is 26.5lbs with a M1400 . like to stay lower but now sim is at 5300 ft . But now is just planning stage things will change till I find what I want to do .
List so far is two couplers one will be av bay ,2 bulk plates , 3 center rings for 7.51-3.00 , loc nose cone , 24" mmt loc 3" and four air frames
About $150.00 for the build plus electronics ,motor and case .

Latest posts

Back