Pondering my skills

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Lately I’ve been thinking about some of the rockets I’ve built in the past and on just about everyone at least 95% of them I ran into an issues either my skills or faulty parts or paint, which caused the rocket to turn out not so great. Some I recovered from and others I can still see some of the mistakes I made. I know all of us have made mistakes on the builds we done and have got better over future builds, but for now on I’m going to go all out 110% on all my builds and take the time to really enjoy the process. I have no reason to feel rushed, yet for whatever reason it creeps in. I’m also going to try and build more scratch builds and make them as lite as possible. Not really into launching tanks. On another topic parachutes are something for whatever reason I tend to acquire more than what I want or need, because every kit comes with one and most of the time I sale it or tuck it away someplace. I mean how chutes do we need??

When I was younger I was always in a big rush to get everything built and out the door and out to the launch site. Of course in those days my launch gear could be contained in my bicycle baskets, I lived a quarter- or half-mile from a couple of decent launch sites, and I could launch almost any day if I really wanted to.

40+ years later I know most likely this stuff does not need to be finished tomorrow morning, if I need to take 2 more days it is OK, and it's kinda embarassing to go to a launch with other rocketeers and have your rockets look really junky. (I am usually not determined enough to spend a LOT of time to make them look GREAT, but I spend enough time to make them look 'decent' as opposed to 'slapped together'.)

In terms of 'skills,' I guess I do not consider myself a master craftsman or modeler in the vein of some of the real superstars of our hobby. (Go to a NARAM sometime and look at some of the models entered in scale categories and you walk out saying, "i'm not worthy, i'm not worthy.') I can build models and if I take my time and really pay attention to what I am doing they come out OK, but I would still be embarassed to enter a lot of my models in any serious scale competition. They probably look OK to people in the general public but when you look for really fine-scale detail, they're pretty crude.

As far as chutes are concerned, years ago I bought a couple packs of snap swivels and attach almost all my chutes by snap swivels, so I could probably get away with an 'inventory' of 3-4 chutes of each size (8-12-18-24), snap them in and out for each flight as needed, and be done with it. And I too have a cabinet drawer packed with a few dozen unmade chute kits, as well as a couple poly picnic tablecloths in various colors so I could cut my own custom chutes for weeks if I felt like it, but bottom line is it is always better to have a couple MORE chutes than you need than a couple fewer. (I always make sure I throw a couple of unmade chute kits in the bottom of my range box before going out for a launch -- just in case.)

Last edited:
Lately I’ve been thinking about some of the rockets I’ve built in the past and on just about everyone at least 95% of them I ran into an issues either my skills or faulty parts or paint, which caused the rocket to turn out not so great. Some I recovered from and others I can still see some of the mistakes I made. I know all of us have made mistakes on the builds we done and have got better over future builds, but for now on I’m going to go all out 110% on all my builds and take the time to really enjoy the process. I have no reason to feel rushed, yet for whatever reason it creeps in. I’m also going to try and build more scratch builds and make them as lite as possible. Not really into launching tanks. On another topic parachutes are something for whatever reason I tend to acquire more than what I want or need, because every kit comes with one and most of the time I sale it or tuck it away someplace. I mean how chutes do we need??

Regarding achieving perfection... I try and get closer each time. Yes, as people often tell me, it will only look that good before the first flight. And although true, I love "getting it right" so I will spend the extra planning, work and learning/research time during the build.

Regarding the "gotta get it done" tendency I fight this too. Wise word come from Sather Ranum on this forum, something to the effect of "having an overall plan is all that matters while schedule/timeline can always be sacrificed for work, family, etc. to achieve balance."

On parachutes, well, shouldn't ask me. Some say I have a parachute fetish as I have a full recovery system sitting in each rocket at all times. After designing, often building and equipping the recovery, I don't want to bother with wasted time and possible mistakes that can occur prepping/packing for a launch--just one less thing I need to think about.

I've been attempting perfection to the point of missing launches entirely because I had nothing ready.
I'll note here I don't even come close to acheiveing perfection. I love a good, fully done, smooth shiney glossy rocket with no spirals.

About a month ago I realized I didn't have a single fly able rocket. Everything was half built, unfinished or waiting on one thing or another. Perfection and finishing went out the window. I'm getting everything fly able. Details, paint and perfection can come later.

I fall in the middle of anal retentive and the sloppy slap together boundaries. My skills have improved considerably....kudos to the folks on the forum for some of that help. I am no longer in a rush to get the job done. " Well, I did plan to get Dorian's Revenge finished for this launch, but I just didn't get it done." Big deal! I have adapted to doing my craft at MY speed, and not according to launch dates. You think I should let my hobby stress me out?.....me neither. So for what it's worth, do the best you can, when you can. AB, the scratch builds give you the opportunity to be selective with your parts. Unlike kits that are available. (speaking of low power here) I prefer scratch builds and this is no secret. I get to produce and invent something, rather than building someone elses bag-o-parts. I have found, that the longer it takes me to build something, the better it looks. As well as being constructed properly.

I fall in the middle of anal retentive and the sloppy slap together boundaries. My skills have improved considerably....kudos to the folks on the forum for some of that help. I am no longer in a rush to get the job done. " Well, I did plan to get Dorian's Revenge finished for this launch, but I just didn't get it done." Big deal! I have adapted to doing my craft at MY speed, and not according to launch dates. You think I should let my hobby stress me out?.....me neither. So for what it's worth, do the best you can, when you can. AB, the scratch builds give you the opportunity to be selective with your parts. Unlike kits that are available. (speaking of low power here) I prefer scratch builds and this is no secret. I get to produce and invent something, rather than building someone elses bag-o-parts. I have found, that the longer it takes me to build something, the better it looks. As well as being constructed properly.

I totally agree with you the scratch builds. Besides who likes reading instructions~:facepalm::rofl::rofl:

Plastic or nylon? Must have been a great deal???

QED Rocketry 16" octagon yellow and black plastic with a striped pattern that allows you to easily cut it down by half inchs. It was about $21 shipped from Canada which is where QED Rocketry was located back in 1990 when these were printed. Just chutes, no shrouds but I bought a spool of crochet thread and a couple of pack of Avery rings so I'm set. Made chutes down to 12", about a dozen or so total.

At the price and as many as I build I thought it was a pretty good deal ;)

Last edited:
"I try and get closer each time". Mr. Dixon hit the nail on the head. This is what it's all about, achieving your level of perfection. You're your own worst critic.

Regarding achieving perfection... I try and get closer each time. Yes, as people often tell me, it will only look that good before the first flight. And although true, I love "getting it right" so I will spend the extra planning, work and learning/research time during the build.

You're right about rockets only looking good for one flight. A group of us worked on a large rocket for LDRS some years back. The rocket was painted by a body shop and looked beautiful. We had it all wrapped up in blankets for the trip out to LDRS so it wouldn't get scratched. It got a bit scratched up when it hit the ground after a successful flight. We ended up packing it up in the vehicle with no padding for the trip home. It was really scratched up by the time we got it home. The rocket has been flown at least once since then, but it has never looked as good as that first flight.

I shoot for a middle ground. I will never fly a rocket in just a primer coat and I want smooth fillets with clean edges and a run free paint job. I do not have the patience to fill and sand spirals and have never wet sanded anything. While I can admire mirror finishes I do not want to spend the required effort to produce the effect.

Actually, I've found rockets with the balsa grain lightly sanded down once or twice, then painted with two or three carefully-applied "dust coats" of enamel, usually come out looking "decent." The key is not to stand too close and try to blast on a really thick coat all at once; that's when it turns out blotchy, drippy and runny.

I rarely if ever fill and sand tube spirals, on the finished rockets you can see the spirals if you're really looking, but I make sure to eliminate any gaps or leaks in any masking-tape edging I do, and if your color lines look sharp your overall paint job usually looks all right.

I totally agree with you the scratch builds. Besides who likes reading instructions~:facepalm::rofl::rofl:
Instructions are kind of like the Pirates' Code: Sort of suggested guidelines.

Seriously, I never build anything exactly according to the instructions. Crazy Jim says rocketry is an exact science...but not exactly!

Build at a comfortable pace, build to the limit of your currently available skills, and remember that we do this for fun.

To me, it varies a lot.

However, in many ways, my motto could be a tweak of the NIKE motto:

JUST FLY IT!

So it doesn't look "perfect"? I usually don't care. Well, OK, I care a bit. But I don't let the appearance get in the way of flying it, or cause me to put more time into building it than I feel is worth it to me, for that particular model.

Especially when it is a "sport" model.

For my contest models, actually, many contest type models for duration events fly worse, not better, when you add paint and fill the fins and such. So, many times the finishing is minimal, and sometimes the "color" is not paint but magic marker to help with visibility.

For my gliders, they need to be built well......due to the flying part, not the "looks" part. But sometimes they are left bare balsa. Sometimes with a coat or two of clear dope (and magic marker long after the dope has dried). Sometimes Japanese tissue. And in recent years, a few with laid-up composite foam/fiberglass/graphite, where I need to try to get them "perfect" aerodynamically……but often the coloring ends up as magic marker because paint adds too much weight. And the gliders are never going to be perfect aerodynamically, always tradeoffs, and fabrication limitations. And often a few "oops" moments....well, so it might lose a few seconds, but I've never run across a stopwatch that takes off extra time due to the visual appearance of the model.

Now scale models are a bit of a different thing. But, my scale building skills, on a scale of 1 to 10, are not a 10 (IMHO, above a 5, but maybe closer to 5 than 10....). I make careful choices of what to build, figuring out if I can build some of the more difficult details, and other things.

When I built Little Joe-II models, I did not even commit to build them until I solved what I saw as three key problems, the Corrugated Body (made it from curling a 12" wide sheet of corrugated plastic), the scratchbuilt Escape Tower (made up a jig, cutting guides, and ran tests gluding styrene rods till I could built one that looked good), and how to make the "UNITED STATES" lettering appear accurately on the corrugated body (drew up the letters, print onto paper, rubber cemented the paper to a sheet of black decal, hand-cut the letters, peeled off the paper from the black decal letters, and found a way to "press" the wet black decal letters into the corrugations). So, that was not a case of my choosing to build a scale model because I had the "level 10" building skills to pull it off (I do not), it was using some common sense to figure out what I could probably do with some tricks in place of building skill, and finding out if those theoretical tricks would work before committing to it for sure.

An example of not letting perfection drive you mad in scale is NOT to do things like a model with rivets, unless you are a "level 10" builder who can do that stuff. Not for me. Later, when I built a shuttle for contest flying, when people asked me why didn't I do the tiles, I have often told them to show me THEIR shuttle model with tiles first, and then ask me again. :)

But here is the other shoe dropping. Every time I got deep into building scale models like those, I got burned out. Such as the Little Joe-II and Shuttle models for contests.

Yet, one time I made a "sport" Little Joe-II, 7" in diameter, 4 feet tall, powered by a G25 and six C6's. I made no attempt at all to make it accurate, so it would be a lot faster and easier to build. Because I was building it as a model to FLY for sport, not to be officially judged for anything. In a similar vein, I have also made some "sport" shuttle models thru the years too, where scale appearance did not matter, flying them mattered.

So, if I am building a scale model for "Fun" and not a contest, the LAST thing I m ever going to do is to put a lot of time and effort into it. I'll build to some arbitrary level where it's not as good as I could do, but it's as much as I'm willing to do for that particular model, for whatever reason I have had for building it. Because if it takes more time and effort to do it than I feel it is worth, then it's not a "fun" model that I'd be willing to risk damaging/losing/destroying flying it often.

Now, I know there are some who love building to the point that they might also enjoy building ships in bottles. I do not like building. If I could press a button and it would be built in 5 minutes, I'd go for that. But many of the models I fly are unique, and some of my enjoyment comes from designing and getting those designs to work. So, I would not have any of those to fly, if I did not build them. At times with some models I have realized at moments that, wow, I really built that. And I take pride in those. But I
don't let that get in the way of the flying, or put in more effort for "perfection" that can never be achieved for real.

The other thing is, that if you stick with the hobby long enough you will accumulate a lot of skills for doing various things. Sometimes you can develop or learn how to do some things that you never thought you'd be able to do. But once you learn those, it would be a terrible trap to fall into to feeling committed to always build every model to the maximum of all those skills learned. That would be less of a hobby, and more like OCD.

The glider example, if I want to make a 1/4A Boost Glider, I can build one in well under an hour , that can win a big contest, with a less-than-ideal hand sanded wing airfoil and not even add any finish beyond magic marker. But if I cranked it up to what I could do, I could get foam cores cut for the wings and spend a few hours preparing for, and doing the layup to make a composite wing for it, as made for D or E sized R/C rocket glide. And give it two days to cure fully in the vacuum bag and the "hot box" But that would be overkill. And a major burnout factor if I built all my models to the maximum of everything I have learned......I would not be in the hobby long if I did that.

And, I learned how to use an airbrush. No fancy camouflage or artsy stuff, simply when a spray can is not a good option for a certain model, or a unique color not available in a spray can. Such as the Little Joe-II, it used an aluminized paint that had to be airbrushed. But that is why I rarely do it.... not worth the hassle most of the time.

If it flies reliably, and flies as good as I expected it to be able to fly, then I've achieved the main reason for building it, period.

JUST FLY IT!

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Different people like different aspects of the hobby. For me personally, I like most the time spent designing and building. (I don't much like painting or launching.) Lots of people just like to launch and there's no reason not to fly naked if that's your favorite part.

I like to build each modle to the best of my ability, and I am happy with the way my skills have progessed (thanks to help from members of this forum) since becoming a BAR. I enjoy all aspects of building except the excessive sanding :eyeroll: & waiting for glue/epoxy/paint to dry. Now at my advanced age I am able to resist "testing" for dryness when I know it isn't and when I build, I am building more than one, so I have something rocketry to occupy my time.
However, I did suffer mild burnout from building 7 airframes in 6 months. All but one (scratch built Gyroc) built with the goal of being perfect :dark: One of my best works was the Big Berth with a B-17 paint job & decals which lawn darted on it's maiden flight :y: Probably because of the new design that lacks a stuffer tube :mad: It was disheartening not only because of the time & level of the finish but the decals were expensive. However my best finished rocket is a SEMROC Bandit. I flew it once and it suffered a minor ding on one of the fins. I haven't launched it again, but I was going to limit it flights to perfect days. (side note: I haven't launched in 9 months due to the weather in the DFW area & personel priorities when weather was good for DARS events). But now I am debating about launching the bandit with the closing of SEMROC.
I think it's great to improve ones skill as much as possible. There are limiting factors, time, money (air brushing/metalized paints that cost big bucks) and the fact that with use, your work will become "WAR WEARY":sad:
When I start building again I will build with the goal of making it perfectly beautiful, although I know it won't be perfect. And I will launch (still debating launching my SEMROCs, built & in build pile) my rockets, with my heart in my throat :shock: After all, you can't have the THRILL of Victory with out the possibility of the AGONY of Defeat (Cato, lawn dart, etc.)

Back