A Challenge!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Oddity

Reaction score
It might be impossible (though I don't think so), but here's a challenge for thought.

Here's the task:

Design and/or develop a reliable recovery system that will land a model rocket to a position, equal to or less than 100 yards radius from the rocket's launch site position,

Here's the simple specification:

The system will be mechanical in operation.

The system will not be triggered nor operate by use of an altimeter.

The system will not be triggered nor operated by electrical or electronic devices.

The system will be capable of meeting the challenge at average wind speeds of up to 6 mph.

The system will ensure that no damage is sustained by the rocket on landing, assuming competent design and build.

The landing surface will be short grass (3" minimum height), above soft earth.

Maximum rocket altitude should be 2000 ft.

The system should operate and achieve the challenge when installed in rockets of weights up to 10 oz.

The system will meet the challenge for all rockets powered by "C" and "D" motors.

The system will be operable within rocket tube sizes; BT55 through to BT70.

The system must operate safely and allow the rocket to launch, deploy and be recovered in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.

Look forward to comments.

SO

10oz rocket with a draggy design which limits altitude to about 500ft for C or D motors. Streamer deploys at appogee, rocket lands within 100yds of launch rod in 6 mph wind.

Bingo Bango Done!

Next challenge please :grin:

A deep sea fishing reel mounted on the opposite side of the rail. Set the drag according to your motor....braided steel line recommended! Or use a saucer...

299' of Kevlar cord.

LOL.

I would have thought streamer or helicopter. I'm not really sure why you want to attempt this, unless it's simply a case of small launch sites? But in all honesty there are so many factors affecting where it lands, not just the recovery system; altitude, wind, stability, weather cocking, descent rate etc.

Until you said C and D motors I was thinking an RC parachute. But I doubt such a system would be light enough for a C motor.

Given the light weight I am thinking larch chute with fishing line. Then reel it back in to keep it from drifting too far. Just not sure that I can get 2000 ft of line on a reel.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I'm guessing the use of pigeons is out of the question...

Pigeon.jpg

[video=youtube;vIbZB6rNLZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIbZB6rNLZ4[/video]

At 2000' you can't even guarantee it's within the 100 yards at apogee. Unless there some active guidance, it doesn't matter what the recovery device is, you're looking at how fast it can come down and what is necessary to keep that from breaking it.

+1 on flying a saucer, cone fin, or similar draggy design. I've got a cone fin rocket that flies only on C6-3. Never have to walk more than 20 yards to pick it up, even if flying in a 15mph breeze. It has an 18" chute for recovery, too.

One way to be certain a C or D powered rocket will land exactly where launched is to use nose weight of 100 pounds.

Back