• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

AT 38mm plugged forward closure?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orwolf77

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these they wanna sale off for a fair price? Feel free to PM or reply to post.

Just wanted to give this one shameless bump before I buy it from an online retailer. It could be Dr. rocket, Aerotech, and/or rousetech.

NAR L1 - LOC IRIS - H73 - 12/13
NAR L2 - LOC IROC - J420 - 2/14

You really don't need a plugged forward closure. Just fill the fore end of the delay well with grease and install the delay charge as normal. I usually put metal tape over the charge well, although it is not really needed.

You really don't need a plugged forward closure. Just fill the fore end of the delay well with grease and install the delay charge as normal. I usually put metal tape over the charge well, although it is not really needed.

Don't they thread the plugged forward ends? I seem to remember that's how it is, could come in handy.

Don't they thread the plugged forward ends? I seem to remember that's how it is, could come in handy.

Don't quite understand your question... You use a standard forward closure layer with grease, insert delay, no BP of course and then tape off charge well. No, it does not need to be plugged. Some people put a dimes or nickel into the charge well and tape those down for extra security--I've never done that, just used metal tape.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
I think he means that at the top of the plugged closure there is a point where you can attach an eyebolt so you can use the motor as the shock cord attachment point.

I think he means that at the top of the plugged closure there is a point where you can attach an eyebolt so you can use the motor as the shock cord attachment point.

On a 38mm they don't have forward closures with attach points; well at least Aerotech doesn't (what the OP asked for). Maybe Cesaroni does--I don't fly Cesaroni 38's.

well then your suggestion would be the easiest to execute.

According to the rouse-tech web page, 38mm can be tapped 5/16"x18 TPI. Could be useful I suppose if the diameter of the rocket is small and you don't want to glue a shock cord attachment to the inside of your rocket. Sorry to get off topic.

According to the rouse-tech web page, 38mm can be tapped 5/16"x18 TPI. Could be useful I suppose if the diameter of the rocket is small and you don't want to glue a shock cord attachment to the inside of your rocket. Sorry to get off topic.

5/16"-18 in a 38mm closure--wow that is overkill.

I certainly don't see that on their standard products ordering form for dealers or called out in their motor tech doc (attached), but I suppose if you are talking about custom work, anything might be possible.

EDIT: Looking at the website, I do see a picture of what you mention. It looks exactly like the forward closures they use for the 54mm and 75mm. But in practice I have only seen the plugged forward closure on the left in the picture for 38mm hardware, never the one on the right, although, apparently you may be able to get it "special order."

PluggedClosures.jpg

Attachments

• MMorderform041006.jpg
    MMorderform041006.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 37
  • technical1.jpg
    technical1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
But back to the OP's need for a plugged closure (assuming standard, no custom tapping), the Rouse-Tech site also says this in their FAQ's, which is what I was referring to in my original post in this thread...

Can I use an open closure instead of a plugged closure in a flight that uses electronics?
Certainly. Care must be taken in reading the propellant re-load instructions so no in flight problems arise. I have seen failures due to gasses escaping through the forward closure and igniting the ejection charge or gasses entering the compartment above the motor, causing harm. If the o-rings are not installed properly in the delay compartment, gasses can escape past the delay grain. As a safety precaution, I recommend using a plugged closure whenever you are using electronics.

Thanks all. I appreciate the information.

NAR L1 - LOC IRIS - H73 - 12/13
NAR L2 - LOC IROC - J420 - 2/14

Back