Dangerous ads now on this forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Area66

Reaction score
It's getting worst, I spent a lot of money in rocket stuff last year, my money come mainly for removing crap and garbages peoples install on their PC, and since today I see 3 ads that can compromise the stability of your computers . please do not click on those ads and don't even thing to install something like this

Untitled.jpg

Yikes!, I wish they could just stick to rocket related ads.

By this point, anyone dumb enough to click those ads is really kind of asking for it.

I dont get the size. They are 2.5x bigger than the existing vendor ads that have been here all along. Are the new ads producing 2.5x more coin per ad for TRF?
Anywhoo,this is my first post about the new ad ons. I really dont give a-hoot about them. I cant think of anyother place I go and dont see ads.
And as its been posted..ya kinda gotta be a little loose up top if you click on any of them anyways.

Last edited:
Build your vocabulary and increase your "word-power" by learning one new word per day! :)

Today's new word: Malvertising

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvertising

Gee, if only someone had spoken out about this...

Oh, wait, I DID!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?63454-OOOOO!-I-SEE-ADS!!!!!!

starting with message #20

YES! It IS a big deal!

Why? The "old" banner ads, usually for rocketry products we know and love, are hosted by rocketryforum.com - this web site. The new ads are inserted from googleads and doubleclick.com, NOT from TRF. TRF has no control or knowledge over what is displayed. No control. Period. This open the web site up to the dangers of hijacking and cross-site scripting (XSS) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting .

They are making the Ads more obnoxious to try to make you Pay for a Membership to avoid them. I understand that it costs Time and Money to run a Website, but it looks like the Owners are just being greedy.
Eventually, they will drive away a lot of Folks, and someone will start a new Site for all of the Folks that left this one. That's just the way it goes.

They are making the Ads more obnoxious to try to make you Pay for a Membership to avoid them. I understand that it costs Time and Money to run a Website, but it looks like the Owners are just being greedy.
Eventually, they will drive away a lot of Folks, and someone will start a new Site for all of the Folks that left this one. That's just the way it goes.

I disagree, everytime there is an ad that is inappropriate the TRF admin quickly removes it.

Yes, they bought the rights to the site for money but remember if they drive everyone away then they make no money. So your argument really is invalid.

I disagree, everytime there is an ad that is inappropriate the TRF admin quickly removes it.

Yes, they bought the rights to the site for money but remember if they drive everyone away then they make no money. So your argument really is invalid.

They are'nt driving me away, and I have'nt been bothered by the Ads. I have seen others say that they will go away though.

AdBlocker is your friend :) I got it because I was tired of the ads during my movies. It stopped the ads there as well as here. I don't even get the banner ad anymore.

There has been a lot of talk about ads

I DON"T SEE ANY ADS ?????

For a little while there was one at the top of the page and one at the bottom. That lasted maybe for a couple of weeks, if that.

Now there is no ads!

should I be worried ??
I'm missing out on this??

As many have said before, adblocker works great. Install chrome, run adblocker, and you will never see a pop-up or banner ad again. Also eliminates ads at the beginning of nearly all video files as well.

It's 2014 now. My opinion is, by this time in history, anybody who clicks on ANY ad on the internet, shouldn't be on the internet.

Please let me know what the ads lead to and I will get them blocked.

I understand that it costs Time and Money to run a Website, but it looks like the Owners are just being greedy.

I'll never understand posts like this. Greedy? A company owner that wants to maximize profits is greedy?

When I go through my yearly review at work I never tell my boss, "Don't give me TOO big of a raise this year, just keep it low because I'm not greedy." Heck no, I want to have as big of a raise as possible. I'd like to be able to save as much money for retirement as possible so I'm not depending on the government to provide for me. Does that make me greedy? I'd love to buy a new Jeep in a few years because my current one is about dead, but I can't afford it right now and a raise would help. Does that make me greedy? And if I just want to have as much money as possible in my bank account for some security, because you never know, does that make me greedy? No, that makes me a responsible member of society.

If someone else at work gets a bigger raise then me because they worked hard last year I wouldn't consider them greedy. Good for them.
If a guy spends a lot of time to develop a rocket kit and sells it for as much money as he thinks people will pay, I wouldn't consider him greedy.

And if the owner of this web site wants to place more or bigger ads to make more money, that's not greedy, that's business. "Making more money" does not equal "being greedy" no matter how often you hear that in the media.

Sorry for the rant, it's just one of my buttons. Calming down now... breathe in.... breathe out... Ohhhmmmm....

I think a lot of the backlash is the difference in ownership styles. We went from someone who did this out of the love of rocketry and was very involved, to profit driven ownership.

I don't see anything wrong with either style. But there will be some adjustments as the new owners find out how much profit they can generate without alienating too much of the userbase. Ads don't bother me in the least.... it's the internet...it's not like this is new.

I realize there's an adjustment period for the new owners to get things working and generating money. Before I drop coin on becoming a member though, I'd like to see some things done to grow the site and participation of members. Most of the vendors seem to be standing at arms length right now watching to see how things go. Getting some of them more involved would be a good thing (similar to the 'certify with us' thing) and or some contests and the like.

Count me in the group that really doesnt notice the ads.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I think a lot of the backlash is the difference in ownership styles. We went from someone who did this out of the love of rocketry and was very involved, to profit driven ownership.

I don't see anything wrong with either style. But there will be some adjustments as the new owners find out how much profit they can generate without alienating too much of the userbase. Ads don't bother me in the least.... it's the internet...it's not like this is new.

I realize there's an adjustment period for the new owners to get things working and generating money. Before I drop coin on becoming a member though, I'd like to see some things done to grow the site and participation of members. Most of the vendors seem to be standing at arms length right now watching to see how things go. Getting some of them more involved would be a good thing (similar to the 'certify with us' thing) and or some contests and the like.

My thoughts exactly.

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

I think a lot of the backlash is the difference in ownership styles. We went from someone who did this out of the love of rocketry and was very involved, to profit driven ownership...

This is *almost* the way I feel.

I don't think "style" is exactly the right word.

I can't speak for Troj, but my gut feeling is that he saw an opportunity to use his IT skills and build a COMMUNITY for rocket hobbyists.
Dizwolf, I think you are exactly right when you say he did this out of the love for rocketry. That was his motive.
... and he has done an exceptional job of it. We are all better for it. :cheers:

Troj sold his baby, and I'm sure there is a lot we don't about that story... and I'm not askin' for any explanation O' Great Skillet King. Private is private. :)

One thing I feel certain about, the new ownership is a corporation, and their only motive is PROFIT$.

Please don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a corporation wanting to maximize profit. - But that is completely, entirely different than doing something because you love it.

I have been a member of other THRIVING forums that are now nothing more than a shell of their former glory.

I am very hopeful that this forum will continue to thrive for many years. I am also smart enough to read the writing on the wall...

Oh Yeah - twenty dollars, yup I got $20 bucks... well I had $20, I made a donation to the guy who made AD Block Plus. Go Figure. :smile:

The previous owner had standards... the new guy, not so much, as clearly shown by this image.

View attachment itneverusedtobelikethis..bmp

itneverusedtobelikethis..jpg

Last edited:
...I can't speak for Troj, but my gut feeling is that he saw an opportunity to use his IT skills and build a COMMUNITY for rocket hobbyists.
Dizwolf, I think you are exactly right when you say he did this out of the love for rocketry. That was his motive.
... and he has done an exceptional job of it. We are all better for it.

Yes.

Back