Does anyone run Open Rocket with a Linux OS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonMises

Reaction score
With WP support ending, I decided to look into alternatives. So rather than $120-$200 to update XP to Win 8.1, I decided to look into Linux. So far, the more I look, the more I like. There’s even a full blown Office that’s nearly indistinguishable from MS Office.

The only missing piece is Open Rocket, and I’d hate to have to load Macrosoft Winding XO just for a single program. But I willm because I MUST have Open Rocket.

Thus the question:

Last edited:
With WP support ending, I decided to look into alternatives. So rather than $120-$200 to update XP to Win 8.1, I decided to look into Linux. So far, the more I look, the more I like. There’s even a full blown Office that’s nearly indistinguishable from MS Office.

The only missing piece is Open Rocket, and I’d hate to have to load Macrosoft Winding XO just for a single program. But I willm because I MUST have Open Rocket.

Thus the question:

I use it. It works fine.

Open Rocker run on Java, so of course it work with Linux Distros. Many Linux Distro are free , but you gone have to invest time to learn how to use it, time may be worth more than $ 120 value of Windows 7 or 8. Nothing is free in this world.

Last edited:
I use it on Linux with no problems.

Yes, Linux has a learning curve, but going from XP to 8.1 will have just as much of a learning curve. They're different beasts.

Last edited:
Hey VM! Yup, OR works just fine with Linux.

As for your potential change-over, I have been using Linux exclusively for over ten years now with little or no issues.

PM me if you'd like links to some references, best practices, etc.

I use it on Linux with no problems.

Yes, Linux has a learning curve, but going from XP to 8.1 will have just as much of a learning curve. They're different beasts.

witch one you try to foul with this comment ?

Thanks CarVar.

kouroshg:
Of course! Sometimes (like every day) I overlook the obvious when I’m drilling down on the details. Nothing says “humble” like a good ol “DUH” moment.

jpummil:
I’ll undoubtedly take you up on that. Thanks

Area66:
I took a little test drive of Ubuntu yesterday and it appeared fairly intuitive. Almost like Windows. I’m still looking at others. Mint has been recommended as well.

I had no idea there were so many flavors. Luckily I found a guide that describes what each “Version” is gear toward. Since I usually just run office, surf the web, and of course Open Rocket, just about any of them will work for me. So I’m looking more toward resource management and GUI than graphics capability.

wait to meet SUDO

What is wrong with sudo?

The average user hardly needs the command line. Not like Windows 8, where some settings no longer exist in the GUI and must be changed with command prompt, which is infinitely worse than the Unix terminal.

FWIW - OpenRocket was originally developed on Linux. I've been using Linux pretty much exclusively since the late 90's.

I was originally very delighted with XUbuntu, which was very lightweight and "just worked", but development seemed to stagnate a few years back. I switched to Linux Mint (Cinnamon version) a bit over a year ago and haven't looked back since. You can read some of my experiences on the switch here: https://codeforhire.com/2013/01/19/switching-to-linux-mint/ (It describes the bit-dated Mint 14, the newest version has many bugs fixed)

But the best thing is that it's easy to experiment. Pretty much every major distribution can be run from a USB stick. Download a few and give them a test run. Then install the one you like best.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

FWIW - OpenRocket was originally developed on Linux. I've been using Linux pretty much exclusively since the late 90's.

I was originally very delighted with XUbuntu, which was very lightweight and "just worked", but development seemed to stagnate a few years back. I switched to Linux Mint (Cinnamon version) a bit over a year ago and haven't looked back since. You can read some of my experiences on the switch here: https://codeforhire.com/2013/01/19/switching-to-linux-mint/ (It describes the bit-dated Mint 14, the newest version has many bugs fixed)

But the best thing is that it's easy to experiment. Pretty much every major distribution can be run from a USB stick. Download a few and give them a test run. Then install the one you like best.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Thanks Sampo. Unfortunately I haven't had time to explore Mint yet, but I certainly plan to.

I just bought a 64GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit specifically to load and run Linux OS systems from. I have a new 128GB SSD that will be part of the go-live cutover. While I realize these drives are small by today's standards, I presently have an 80GB HD and it's only about 50% employed.

Thanks again.
VM

You should also look for a Linux user group in your area and go to a meeting or two. They can help you get hands on help as well.

You should also look for a Linux user group in your area and go to a meeting or two. They can help you get hands on help as well.

I'll keep that in mind. So far I've figured out about everything I neede it to do. So far... I had no idea the Linux world was so well organized.

I'll keep that in mind. So far I've figured out about everything I neede it to do. So far... I had no idea the Linux world was so well organized.

I am a bit of a Linux geek - 5 home machines with linux and being a systems admin, also school background in linux and security. :p And yes we are well organized, now.

Can I ask what Linux Distro are you using?

A few Distro suggestions for easy-to-migrate-from Windows world to Linux world.
Zorin OS Linux - I think by far is the most easy to come from Windows XP to Linux. I have used this distro recently to replace XP on some peoples computers and they love it.
Cinnamon Mint - is another easy to come from XP to Linux. Just a fair warning this one is a bit glitchy still, but looks pretty.
Ubuntu - is a very well supported community and pretty easy version of Linux to get started in. They have a nice "store" app that assists you on finding apps to download and install on your system. Most of the apps on the "store" are free. Also the newer version of Ubuntu (14.04 lts) is very fast, even on older systems; my system now boots in 8 seconds with a standard hard drive.

If you have any questions ask me, but if you need a faster answer google. But if you need a faster answer, google it, I am sure the answer is out there.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I loaded Ubuntu onto a new SSD, and I'm coming to you "live" and Microsoft free! Boots VERY fast. Unbelievably fast. Now for the inevitable questions:

1. From the Ubuntu software center, I loaded OpenRocket, but it's 12.03. So I set it to look for new versions and sure enough, 14.03 pops up. So I download it, set it to execute, and lock it to the launcher. But it won't launch. in addition, the icon doesn't read "Open Rocket," it reads "OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime." How do I make it launch from the Launcher, and how do I get the icon to read "Open Rocket?"

2. When I download something, it goes into the "Downloads" file, and it will not allow me to move it to another location. What's up with this?

Many things work well (most actually...) when installed with the software center. However, some Java apps are a little weird and require some attention. Being an old Unix command line guy, I do what's easiest for me and download them to a special place on my harddrive designated for applications...then launch by command line:

jpummil@hex ~ $ cd /data/Apps/OpenRocket/

jpummil@hex /data/Apps/OpenRocket $ ls
estes body tubes.pdf OpenRocket-1.1.9.jar OpenRocket-13.11.1.jar
Motor_Files OpenRocket-12.03.jar OpenRocket-13.11.2.jar
OpenRocket-1.1.4.jar OpenRocket-12.09.1.jar OpenRocket-14.03.jar
OpenRocket-1.1.5.jar OpenRocket-12.09.jar OpenRocket-dev-101013.jar
OpenRocket-1.1.6.jar OpenRocket-13.05.jar OpenRocket-infonode.jar
OpenRocket-1.1.7.jar OpenRocket-13.09.1.jar OpenRocket-JOGL-2.0.2.jar
OpenRocket-1.1.8.jar OpenRocket-13.09.jar Rocket_Designs

jpummil@hex /data/Apps/OpenRocket $ java -jar OpenRocket-14.03.jar

I have a shell script in my ~/bin directory which is in the shell search path that says:

#! /bin/bash
java -jar ~/bin/OpenRocket.jar

I make a symbolic link from OpenRocket.jar to whatever the latest version is:

ln -s OpenRocket-14.03.jar OpenRocket.jar

So all I have to do is type "openrocket&".

I have a little problem. I run Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa, OR 15.03, Java 11.0.3. When I start the app I get the splash page but then it fails with the error report below.

---------- Bug report ----------

Please include a description about what actions you were performing when the exception occurred:
Loading Open Rocket

Include your email address (optional; it helps if we can contact you in case we need additional information):
[email protected]

Attachments

• OpenRocket-15.03 Error.txt
    26 KB · Views: 24
Back