Least expensive 4"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrAdam

Reaction score
What is the least expensive 4" kit out there. What I am seeing so far is Madcow Squat. Anything close to this getting to the 49 dollar mark? This is for a project my wife suggested. If I have her blessing on it I want to get something ordered before she changes her mind. :D

estes mega red der max......but it not the best kit for HPR im sure, but not sure what you doing.

yeah, but $54 including chute will....
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/der_red_max_pro.htm
:)

whether or not it's as 'high power' as a Squat.... who can say.

The Binder Thug comes with all hardware and full recovery (chute, shock cord, et. al.) and has full high power components. At a $1 more, IMO it is a better deal than the Estes kit and even the Madcow which likely does not have a chute.

I'd recommend the Binder Thug as well. I flew it a bunch on 38mm G's and then when for my L1 with it.
Still fly it as often as I can.

the binder 38mm has more food options over the MC Squat , unless using motor adapter , 54mm food isn't cheap

[Big long detailed reply disappeared so you get the compressed version.)

Instead of the Madcow Squat take a look at the Madcow Tembo. The body tube of the Tembo is 6.5" longer than the Squat and you won't have to cut off the tail end of the nosecone to make room for your recovery gear. If you don't mind the extra work on the nose cone, the Squat is a very nice rocket.

View attachment 168636

Already have a Tembo. Not happy with the quality of the Estes kits I bought this winter sale. I think I am leaning to the Squat if Mike can give it to me with a 38mm hole. Will have to look at Binder again and compare hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

The Squat is a great flying little kit that will handle a VERY wide range of motors. 2-3 grain 54mm J is possible if you're brave. Just make sure that you've got enough nose weight in it to keep it stable.

_MG_3970.jpg

I just retired my BD Thug I built in '04. It is the most flown rocket I had. I had somewhere north of 30 flights on it and most of the last ones were H & I motors. Great rocket and best value I've had from any kit.

I just picked up one of these and I am the process of building it for my level 1 cert.

Aerotech G-force $59.79 https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro89021.htm

I just got that E-Mail from Hobbylinc. Sadly, I'm totally out of Rocket Budget for the Month or else I would be getting a new G-Force too.
That Price is too good to pass up. Figures! The best Deals always happen when I'm out of Fun Money.

Okay, the Squat only comes with a 54mm hole and I do not want to have to reduce to save money for launches.

Here is the "project". My daughter is a special needs child. She suffers from ataxic cerebral palsy, she has microtia and atresia, and other significant developmental delays. Rockets have been a dad/son event but my daughter enjoys attending and watching the launches. She is also obsessed, putting in mildly, with the Backyardagains. Not sure why but it drives me crazy. I am in contact with Mark from Stickershock on another project and after my wife learned what they did, she suggested getting a 4" rocket and a wrap of the Backyardagains in their Mission to Mars gear done for it for my daughter. We think this would be a really exciting event for her.

I don't want a huge/tall rocket so was looking at the short/fat ones. I also don't want to spend a lot on motors because I want her to see the entire event. Probably keeping them to 1000ft or under. I will have to make a decision soon but believe it will be between one of the Binder rockets or the Madcow Cowabunga.

Hope that helps people understand what/why I am looking.

People who have flown the Binder Thug, will it travel slow? Seems like it has fairly small fins.

People who have flown the Binder Thug, will it travel slow? Seems like it has fairly small fins.

That all depends on the motor choice. I've never had a problem following this rocket all the way to apogee. I think if you went with smokey motors you'd like since those usually have lower thrust. It's not a speed demon.

Here's mine on an G61W
summer_skies-5195.jpg

That g force deal is great! You could leave the payload bay out to make it shorter. You would basically end up with a sumo.

that is a great project , I had one for autism with a upscale of the big bertha , wrap from mark . but mine stopped now just got to start back up

I have considered scratch build. I have not done that before. Not sure there would be much savings. Cost is not a huge issue, but when I looked at short 4" kits it seemed silly to spend $100 when I could spend $50. That is the original reason I posted about finding others in the same price range I may have overlooked. I have had several generous offers from a few of you. I cannot believe the generosity of the rocketry community. Everyone I have met, or talked to on here is always ready to give. Amazing.

Saying all of that, I may have upgraded this project a bit. Seeing the negligable cost difference between the several 4" I was looking at and the LOC Minie Magg I floated that option to my accountant/wife and she did not say no. Which to me always means yes, soooo…

I showed a picture of the Minie Magg to my daughter and she smiled. Her response for approval to dad when she doesn't want to talk or is busy with other things.

Might go that route. Once things are finalized I will respond to those who PM'd me and also post a photo when things are complete.

I was going to suggest a Minie Magg but I didn't want to disrespect your budget. I am finishing up a Magg right now and it has to be one of the most fun build I have had in a long while. The size is perfect also. It will fly on the bigger G's all the way up to the smaller J's and I plan to do that exact thing. I have seen several fly and they are always crowd pleasers. Based on what you said you are looking for, the Magg is a perfect fit.

For small rockets (<= 4" dia.) you will nearly always find a nice selection less than what you'd spend on a scratch build.

For small rockets (<= 4" dia.) you will nearly always find a nice selection less than what you'd spend on a scratch build.

It depends. If you're able to make your own centering rings and fins, you can usually build scratch cheaper. I get birch plywood from Michael's that is really inexpensive (especially with their 40% off coupons), yet surprisingly high quality. I even used it on my 5-1/2" Level 2 build.

Of course, the Minie Magg is always a crowd pleaser. I built one for my Level 1 cert. If you plan on flying it on G's, be sure to build light. Mine is too heavy for anything under an H. But on an H123W, it only went about 900 ft.

Image00089.jpg

Image00090.jpg

minie_magg_L1_12_edit.jpg

minie_magg_L1_13_edit.jpg

I get Baltic birch ply wood at menards. It's like 28.00 a sheet but I have been useing a half sheet for 7-8 months now and that's with the mega hi flyer fins . Yes scratch building is cheaper than kits .

Back