Quest X-15 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
Tomorrow morning I start the build of the Quest

Quest X15.jpg

X-15

On the build blog at:
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

This one is built from the new X-15 parts pack available from Quest.
I'll be making small modifications to be sure it is stable.

I liked this model, but there were a couple of modifications I just had to make. I've always thought that one of the iconic design features of the X-15 were the wedge-shaped vertical stabs. I built mine up with some extra balsa, sanded them down and skinned them with cardstock. I also made cardstock fillets to cover the strakes and give the body a better profile. It's still not scale, by any means, but I think it looks better.
X15 1.jpg X15 2.jpg

I liked this model, but there were a couple of modifications I just had to make. I've always thought that one of the iconic design features of the X-15 were the wedge-shaped vertical stabs. I built mine up with some extra balsa, sanded them down and skinned them with cardstock. I also made cardstock fillets to cover the strakes and give the body a better profile. It's still not scale, by any means, but I think it looks better.
View attachment 168498 View attachment 168499

That does look better!
Mine was built like the "profile" sport scale kit.
The Estes X-15 had card stock fills on both sides of the strakes.
I did add a longer body tube and some nose weight for better stability.

I'd just like to say how much I enjoy your blog. Your kits are quite innovative too. I've built several now, the Wedgie is a favorite flyer.

Blades - thats a very fine looking model - really top notch work there.

Back