She could have been KILLED.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You do realize TRF is social media, right? And you likely have the highest "posts per day" count of ever...

Yes, you got me there, but Rocketryforum ties in directly with my Hobby, so I think of it as different than the other kinds of Social Media.
Also, although I enjoy coming here, I'de be just fine without it, like I was before I found it or got back into Rocketry.

Last edited:
You do realize TRF is social media, right?

But not of the "here's where I'm located and what I'm doing right now because I've got nothing more significant to talk about... I'm walking down a street not paying attention to traffic, LOL..." variety. This may be the "generic" section of a technical hobby site, but it's still far above the predominantly garbage content of typical "social media."

But not of the "here's where I'm located and what I'm doing right now because I've got nothing more significant to talk about... I'm walking down a street not paying attention to traffic, LOL..." variety. This may be the "generic" section of a technical hobby site, but it's still far above the predominantly garbage content of typical "social media."

Dude, take another look at The Watering Hole...lol.:)

pirate_keyboard.jpgCan we get back to talking like pirates please?

Use the special keyboard if necessary.....

This is true...

That's why I don't facebook AT ALL... can't stand the place.

Twitter was handy exactly ONCE-- when the NASA people were uploading live updates on where the SCA was carrying Endeavour to California for the last time before it started doing its flyover and landing at Ellington Field in Houston...

Other than that-- utter garbage...

Well said! OL JR :)

You do realize TRF is social media, right? And you likely have the highest "posts per day" count of ever...
https://www.rocketryforum.com/search.php?searchid=2270010

Wrong... Scrapdaddy had higher at one point... I am only at 6.87ppd... :)

TRF, Facebook, eBay, email get me through work. Makes my RSD / OCD / ADHD worse. Makes the rest of the insanities better.
AMEN to that brother!!

Yes, you got me there, but Rocketryforum ties in directly with my Hobby, so I think of it as different than the other Kinds of Social Media.
Also, although I enjoy coming here, I'd be just fine without it, like I was before I found it or got back into Rocketry.

Funny, I wouldn't.

Exactly my logic when my mom says I am on TRF too much. I turn to her and ask if she would rather me be looking at trash on FB or twitter...

Dude, take another look at The Watering Hole...lol.:)

The watering hole is TRF's facebook. All of the other stuff is edjumekashunal... :p

Exactly my logic when my mom says I am on TRF too much. I turn to her and ask if she would rather me be looking at trash on FB or twitter...

It seems most of you don't understand twitter. It's not actually the "addicting games and blindly waiting for updates from friends" that Facebook is, but instead a way to share thoughts and have conversations.

Think of it as a public conversation, like a forum, except without boundaries imposed by posting in a particular subforum.

Facebook isn't entirely useless. It's a great place for our club to stay connected and share information. I never used it until a few months ago, and I have been pleasantly surprised at how much other science/technology bits can be gleaned from it. It's how you use it I guess.

Texting on the move eh.....my partner broke an arm in Berlin two years ago doing that. I laughed till I cried having repeatedly told them to watch where they were going as the pavement was very potholed. They were texting someone about the state of the roads when ...whooops, they trod on a broken slab, fell over, bounced againts a wall and snapped their arm. It was a full ten minutes before I could stop laughing. Friendly Berliners came over to see what happened and couldnt understand why I was laughing so hard. Alas the phone was smashed in the process...so sad :)

I have seen endless people almost step under my car from doing just that, walking along, earphones in, texting and ......almost dead. I suspect a lot of people walk into fights, muggings etc because they just arent aware of whats going on around them.

In my house we will always observe uh oh someone over there with the 'shield of rude word head app' as I have come to the conclusion thatp most of these people have knowledge of some mobile app which renders them invincible and therefore impervious to being hit by a truck :)

Honest to God,I am so beside meself. Today Im driving me college work van up Tuck Drive. College owned road,but still a real road with TRAFFIC!!! A couple years back they ran new underground steam mains along the side of this road .When they were done,they put in a BRAND NEW SIDEWALK!!!!!!
So,back to me rant.....this student was on the right side walking towards me IN THE ROAD ....TEXTING!!!!!!
To me utter shock,write before me eyes,she starts to wonder towards the middle of the road. Well I then started to lean towards the left side and then lean some more and then some more till I had to lay on the HORN as this student was now on the left side of the road and would have WALKED RITE INTO THE FRONT OF THE VAN!!!!!!!!! NO SH!T. I could not believe me eyes.
After I blew the horn,she looks up from texting and I now can see the SHOCK on her face when she realized what she had just done..I looked at her and jusr said "WOW and did a major :facepalm:

You drive around Dartmouth College and all the kids are walking texting ,ipod,phoneZOMBIES!!!
It really is sad..this kids have no clue that there is birds and bees and flowers and dog poop and all kinds of REAL things out there.All they have to do is LOOK UP!!!!!!

Such is the sad state of affairs in the world today. Especially developed countries. Who needs to go outside when you can learn about it on your Ipad!!!

This is true...

That's why I don't facebook AT ALL... can't stand the place.

Twitter was handy exactly ONCE-- when the NASA people were uploading live updates on where the SCA was carrying Endeavour to California for the last time before it started doing its flyover and landing at Ellington Field in Houston...

Other than that-- utter garbage...

Well said! OL JR :)

Do you mean that you weren't *desperate* to know that Buzz Aldrin had dinner with Quincy Jones yesterday? In Dubai? And that they almost never see one another even though their homes are within a couple miles of one another?

Who knew Buzz Aldrin and Quincy Jones were friends? I would not have guessed that.

In any case, despite feeling a bit like Buzz's paparazzi, there are quite a few informative and educational posters in the twitterverse. Yes, there are lots and lots of actors, actresses, sports figures and reality-"star"-of-the-day folks, but there are also lots of feeds from SpaceX, the Cape, Wallops, etc. as well. A quick glance at my twitter feed and I rarely ever miss a live rocket launch and I usually learn something useful. I can almost guarantee that regardless of your vocation, you can find leaders in your industry (yes, even in agriculture) that are posting useful and informative stuff.

In my case, I subscribe not only to science and geeky things, but to people who teach how to do what I do better, how to do new skills I want to master, as well as expose me to points of view that challenge me to think about what I believe.

Yes, there's a lot of crap, but its a tool. If you look, you can find good stuff.

Heck, even Harbor Freight is good for something now and then.

Such is the sad state of affairs in the world today. Especially developed countries. Who needs to go outside when you can learn about it on your Ipad!!!
Yes you can learn about it. We had a guy at work who would read anything and everything. Book sharp as a tack. I dont care what anyone was talking about,this guy knew more than you about it.However, he didnt actually ,in real time and real life, experience squat. OH,I suppose someday they will have scratch and sniff phones so you can smell the roses,but till then,Ill stick with the smell of fresh cut grass in real time and space and all that jazz.

Do you mean that you weren't *desperate* to know that Buzz Aldrin had dinner with Quincy Jones yesterday? In Dubai? And that they almost never see one another even though their homes are within a couple miles of one another?

Who knew Buzz Aldrin and Quincy Jones were friends? I would not have guessed that.

In any case, despite feeling a bit like Buzz's paparazzi, there are quite a few informative and educational posters in the twitterverse. Yes, there are lots and lots of actors, actresses, sports figures and reality-"star"-of-the-day folks, but there are also lots of feeds from SpaceX, the Cape, Wallops, etc. as well. A quick glance at my twitter feed and I rarely ever miss a live rocket launch and I usually learn something useful. I can almost guarantee that regardless of your vocation, you can find leaders in your industry (yes, even in agriculture) that are posting useful and informative stuff.

In my case, I subscribe not only to science and geeky things, but to people who teach how to do what I do better, how to do new skills I want to master, as well as expose me to points of view that challenge me to think about what I believe.

Yes, there's a lot of crap, but its a tool. If you look, you can find good stuff.

Heck, even Harbor Freight is good for something now and then.

Yup.
like.jpg
I didn't know they were friends, BTW.

Yes you can learn about it. We had a guy at work who would read anything and everything. Book sharp as a tack. I dont care what anyone was talking about,this guy knew more than you about it.However, he didnt actually ,in real time and real life, experience squat. OH,I suppose someday they will have scratch and sniff phones so you can smell the roses,but till then,Ill stick with the smell of fresh cut grass in real time and space and all that jazz.

Kind of like the joke about engineers that don't know how to mix epoxy.

I only text with a couple of folks, mostly my wife when she's out and about. Since we live so far out in the middle of nowhere we use it to keep track of each other - but NOT while driving. Other than that I send the occasional text to a couple of members of my RC club. I use facebook primarily to keep in touch with cousins and other back-east family members. As said above, it's a tool, nothing else.

It it not just an issue with texting, college students have sense of immortality with regards to traffic. They will blindly cross street without looking and assume that every one will stop for them. I had a similar experience with almost hitting a student in the late 70's (when I was a student). The individual in question was reading a book and just walked in front of me. So it more then just technology.

Had a girl cross in front of me at Pitt almost got killed. I laid on the horn. She almost died a second time from laughing so hard. I guess she though nearly getting run over was pretty funny.

While attending Pitt, I nearly killed a dozen. I was waiting to cross in a fairly blind area. I stepped out, seen a car coming, and stepped back. That first step was enough to send dozens of the lemmings into the street. Luckily, the car was able to stop.

I agree. Remove all the warning labels.

The lawyers and insurance companies will all get cardiac arrests, but @#$% it. People have to relearn to use their brains.

Had a girl cross in front of me at Pitt almost got killed. I laid on the horn. She almost died a second time from laughing so hard. I guess she though nearly getting run over was pretty funny.

While attending Pitt, I nearly killed a dozen. I was waiting to cross in a fairly blind area. I stepped out, seen a car coming, and stepped back. That first step was enough to send dozens of the lemmings into the street. Luckily, the car was able to stop.

Admit it: you had fun with this! ;)

My Facebook friends are really dumb.
I wrote: “Things are messed up with Syria.”
Someone replied: “Yeah. I hope she performs better in iPhone 6.” *

* Of course none of that is true but it's a good story. :wink:

Back