TAGG pet tracker - some real world results

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So my rocket got treed Saturday morning. The TAGG collar was fully charged just before launch. As of Monday afternoon I can still ping it in real time from the comfort of my home. VERY slick system. (but be aware you need cell phone service where you fly)

Here's what you get when you run the 'locate' function:

TAGG.jpg

And how does this work? One of those prepaid SIM card solutions?

Later!

--Coop

I love my TAGG tracker, I use it all the time. The battery should be good for about a month between charges.

I drilled a hole into each of the flexible tabs on each side of it, fit it into the included cover, and zip tie it to the drogue cord. I give it four or five wraps of blue painters tape to protect it from the ejection charges. To move it to the next rocket I just cut the zip ties and use two new zip ties to the next drogue cord. This seems to be much easier than tracking devices that are permanently mounted in an avionics bay and can't be easily moved between rockets. This one takes me 15 seconds to move and has been flawless.

Tagg customer support is also excellent, I always get right to a live, friendly person. The first tracker they sent was bad, after troubleshooting they sent me a new one and its been working perfectly for a year now.

As long as the area you are flying in has Verizon coverage it will work (CDMA not GSM). I realize that rules out most if not all of the desert launch sites, but here in Florida we have great coverage at all the fields I fly at.

Can you activate/deactivate at will? So you only pay for the months you plan to fly?

Can you activate/deactivate at will? So you only pay for the months you plan to fly?

I just got mine and it came with the first 3 months included so I'm not entirely sure. But I believe you are free to turn it on/off in monthly increments.

It's only about 7 dollars a month for the service, FWIW.

Here's the fresh locate ping from today (Tuesday - 3 days after launch). Note the battery indicator is starting to creep down (but it located just fine).

TAGGTuesApr8.jpg

Your dog shaped rocket doesn't look very aerodynamic...

:D

Wednesday morning about 8AM - I can still get a fresh location. Battery reading has not dropped since the last reading yesterday; still 4 bars green out of 7. I can see it's in a different place away from the trees (the landowner got it down yesterday - bless his heart).

OK I got a text message on my phone alerting me to a low battery condition. I logged on to try a locate - it still worked, see picture. Note the battery indicator is now critical but it still worked.

(Best news of all - Note the location has changed! For sure it's out of the trees. What a relief.)

TAGGWed9Apr330PM.jpg

Thursday morning about 3AM I got a final text message/email saying "battery too low I have to turn off now". So it ran for almost five full days before stopping.

I am totally sold on this tracker system. (this was my very first use of it - don't think I mentioned that before?)

I just hope the cell signal is good everywhere I fly. I know it's OK at Bong; does anyone know if Verizon is solid at Princeton?

Thanks for reading along, gang.

Back