[Thunderstruck] So. The sideways N10,000 flight (Aftermath - photos & files added)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's still in the trees as I write this (Monday morning), but there is a plan to get it down and retrieve it. With any luck I'll be driving back down to Lafayette this week to pick it up.

No clear idea what went wrong, don't know if a rail guide came off or if it was just a wicked case of rod whip. From the look of it up in the trees it seems all the deployment events worked OK, so that's good.

I'll let you know what I find once I get it back. The Raven files ought to be... interesting :facepalm:

-Carl

Last edited:
I heard from one of the Indiana Rocketry "orange jacket" crew (can't remember who) back at the flight line (after your flight) that the rail actually broke. Now exactly what that means I'm not sure, snapped? maybe, came off stand? maybe--you might ask around to get the details.

Carl,

I have a nice photo of the liftoff; will post it soon.

But why the new thread for every post???:confused:

Not a dig at Indiana Rocketry, but many pads were a bit "wiggly".

-Eric-

Carl,

I have a nice photo of the liftoff; will post it soon.

But why the new thread for every post???:confused:

Not a dig at Indiana Rocketry, but many pads were a bit "wiggly".

-Eric-

Pads were "Wiggly" due to ground being "Sinky"

A bunch of the pads were from QCRS, they didn't have the 3/4" wrenches needed to adjust the pads. That's probably a bit my fault for nor reminding them when they picked them up. Over all, for what we all had to work with, I think the launch went great.

Carl, my opinion is the thrust from the motor pushed down on the soft mud as much as it could, then when the pad found solid ground, it bent the leg (I saw the pad later). I would recommend next N10000 to be placed on a more rigid pad if the ground is that soft. Hope you have good luck with extraction......and yes, like Eric said, post all this on one of the 50 Thunderstruck 5 threads Chrism started. There are enough people on the forum that start new threads for every fart bubble that makes its way up to their brains....we know you better than that Carl, come on now, don't make me take back your first Duck!!!

....maybe this should have gone in the duck thread?

So the pad got really damaged? Geez, now I feel bad. It was a QCRS pad?
Oh, no worries. It was 3' of Unistrut that got bent. Totally fixable and cheap, and worth it for the shock value alone (HOLY CRAP GUYS CHECK THIS OUT!) :) I feel worse that your rocket landed in a tree!

The landowner just called; they got it down today! Only had to cut one tree.

From his description over the phone it seems a part of the launch pad went along for the whole ride. Holy moly...

Wow... That is going to have to become an award at future TS....

The landowner just called; they got it down today! Only had to cut one tree.

From his description over the phone it seems a part of the launch pad went along for the whole ride. Holy moly...

Glad to hear it!

Ahh. Makes sense. Any pictures or videos?

Here's a video we shot of the N10,000 flight... as good of a video as I think you can shoot with a cell phone and that motor. :p

[video=youtube;xlYdIMX6h4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlYdIMX6h4M&feature=share&list=PLpAeXfd1v5ZYLlJMzPoHsQrYVEyKbGTZT&index=12[/video]

I LOVE YOU MAN!! That's very cool! Thanks for posting.

Here's a video we shot of the N10,000 flight... as good of a video as I think you can shoot with a cell phone and that motor. :p

[video=youtube;xlYdIMX6h4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlYdIMX6h4M&feature=share&list=PLpAeXfd1v5ZYLlJMzPoHsQrYVEyKbGTZT&index=12[/video]

"I would recommend next N10000 to be placed on a more rigid pad if the ground is that soft."

Surprisingly enough David Reese was saying the same thing before the motor burned out. I'm really curious as to what part of the "launch pad" went with it? We have all of the rail.

I'm really curious as to what part of the "launch pad" went with it? We have all of the rail.

It's not clear; I'm dealing with a description over the phone from the landowner, and he's not familiar with our stuff. It may turn out to be nothing. I'll keep you posted.

OK I got the rocket back yesterday. The landowner was totally cool about it - he even had business in a town about halfway between he & I and brought it that far to save me trouble. I was a Good Rocket Neighbor and made sure to compensate him fairly for his trouble.

Anyway here's what I found. There was no part of the rail or pad attached; what he was describing to me turned out to be a very jagged broken nozzle. Never seen anything like it.

3581crop.jpg

3577crop.jpg

3578crop.jpg

View attachment 2332b.FIPa <--- Raven file here

The Raven files suggest a reason (and show it actually got to ~8K feet; which really surprised me). I'm thinking "spit a grain"... agreed? Do you think this could break the nozzle? Or is the nozzle damage from something else?

Bottom line: only minor repairs needed and she will fly again soon.
-Carl

Last edited:
Every one I have seen or flown myself [N-10,000's]..... nozzles all look like this.

Part of the mystic! I cleaned one up, & use it on my desk as a paperweight.....that went mach.LOL

Every one I have seen or flown myself [N-10,000's]..... nozzles all look like this.

Part of the mystic! I cleaned one up, & use it on my desk as a paperweight.....that went mach.LOL

Right as always Jim,;) i've flown about six or seven of them now and, they always come back munched up on the schnozzle.:eek:
Most of the reason of course is the amount of material (or lack of) in the divergence section due to the extra pressure required to go through in such a short time....

"Said in a *duh* manner to all of us who have seen one of these critters up close or flown one......but, for those that haven't.....":p

Here's what a fresh nozzle looks like before a Controlled Explosion rocks it's world.

View attachment 169167

Of course a picture of the grains too, with a somewhat common available sizing tool.....readily found around here...

View attachment 169168

It's the BEST one second event i've ever paid money to experience in my life!:surprised:

P.S. Please don't ridicule or degrade me for being a Smoker, at least you know i pay my taxes.....

Last edited:

Right as always Jim,;) i've flown about six or seven of them now and, they always come back munched up on the schnozzle.:eek:

Alrighty then! I'll call it normal and move on. "Hey Tim? Yeah... send me another one of those monsters!"

Thanks guys,
-Carl

Carl, another thing I would like to say is that I feel for you in the way that one of our club stands....kind of *let you down*.
Here's what happened to me last year flying an N 10,000 with another club in my Gizmo XL.
In this case the lower Button shattered.... The torque twisted it into the path you see here.

Very frustrating but, when everything goes right...

It's friggin AWESOME!;)

View attachment 169169

Yeah, but when things go a bit wrong it's still frikkin' awesome!

No worries at all; I still feel bad I hurt the pad. I got it back and it just needs a couple small repairs. Piece of cake.

-Carl

Yeah, but when things go a bit wrong it's still frikkin' awesome!

No worries at all; I still feel bad I hurt the pad. I got it back and it just needs a couple small repairs. Piece of cake.

-Carl
Hey Carl, IF you think the N-10K is awesome just wait on this one.....I hear Dr. J is working on one better to fit the 98mm 6XL casing. It's rumored to be about an "N-21,000".:surprised:

You get a 35lb bag of shavings and, a 45" long igniter...Ok kids! Everyone say CHEEEEESE!.......WHUMPAH!

You heard it here first....Call Tim and, get in line!:D

Back