Need to get Bulkheads airtight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killachrome

Reaction score
So, I'm was going to test my RRC3 in my AV bay, but instead I decided to plug all but one vent hole and blow inside for any air leaks. It looks like I am getting leaks from both bulkheads where the sled rods come out of. Is there a way to plug the holes better or do I just fill it with epoxy and try again?

So, I'm was going to test my RRC3 in my AV bay, but instead I decided to plug all but one vent hole and blow inside for any air leaks. It looks like I am getting leaks from both bulkheads where the sled rods come out of. Is there a way to plug the holes better or do I just fill it with epoxy and try again?

You can use some silicon sealant:

https://www.tremcosealants.com/products/vulkem-116.aspx

I have used this stuff up to 135psi with no leaks. But it would be a permanent fixture.

Thats a good idea. Maybe for the Forward bulkhead, but for the Aft bulkhead it looks like I'll have to epoxy and redo....sigh.

How about a small insulation strip, like the one you'd put around your door?

I have used a 1/16" or smaller O-ring with the same OD as the ID of your body tube placed between the bulkhead and the av bay coupler. I did use a stepped bulkhead otherwise the o ring will roll inside the coupler tube. But if the end of your av bay coupler is square and smooth and the bulkhead is smooth ther shouldn't be that much leakage. I use thin flat rubber washers where tie rods or eye bolts penetrate the removable bulkhead to seal them.

Thanks for the help. I decided to redo the bulkhead sections completely since it was getting messy anyway and I want to clean it up.

I epoxy the fore bulkhead in, typically, and then just have to seal the aft. I've used teflon tape, Fun-Tack (or is it -Tac?), the bottom end of a nitrile glove, an (unused) IV tourniquet... lots of ways to get the job done... all stuff I had lying around.

Later!

--Coop

Back