What's the Fattest Class 1 Rocket...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

455 Buick

Reaction score
That you've flown, either from a kit or scratch built? (saucers or odd-rockets don't count, limiting the question to rocs with nose cone and fins)? Yes, that's no typo, FATTEST (largest diameter) not fastest.

I don't care about altitude or speed, as long as it's (1) fat, (2) safe, and (3) doesn't require a certification to buy motors & fly.

Just pushing the envelope on light parts, and either max weight or max propellant. Why? Just cuz :)

Last edited:
LOL, that was indeed no typo, I misspelled it in the thread and the title too!

Last edited:
LOL, that was indeed no typo, I misspelled it in the thread and the title too!

Lol! It struck me as funny. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your actual question, but I'm sure someone will have some ideas.

(3) doesn't require a certification to buy motors & fly.
I think you're confusing Class 1 (an FAA definition) with model rockets (a NAR/NFPA definition.) I fly Class 1 rockets with H motors that require certification all the time, they just don't require an FAA waiver.

I've flown 4" rockets on G motors commonly. You could probably fly a lightly-built 5.5" rocket on a G80.

I've flown my Minie-Mag on full G motors, get about 600' of altitude. It's really designed for bigger motors and so is heavier than you need if you want to limit it to class I. This means you can go wider, but it also means rolling your own tube and NC.

Ari

Yeah, I was on the LOC website and read a bunch of Minnie Magg Build threads last night thinking 5.5" at 40oz on G if build totally stock with wood glue.

7-8" would be cool and a challenge. Rolling my own sounds interesting, especially with the thought of clustering (2 SU G79Ws (<10 oz), and try to get a rocket under 43 oz.). I guess tonight I'll occupy my insomniac brain with searches on TRF for scratch built techniques for tubes and NCs...

Why can't I stop thinking of rockets?! What is wrong with me???

The largest dia. would be a saucer, but wouldn't look that big. The Mini Magg is big, but more solidly built than maybe you are looking for. To really get down weight, would need to roll your own nose cone and not use much tube. Or look into styrofoam, odd plastic objects, paper mache "boxes" and xmas trees.

I looked up rolling my own body tube and found it to be somewhat of an art to be perfected. I have time to build, and time to test and fail, but no time or patience to make and throw out a bunch of warped tubes (that time and patience is distributed to my kids, and some relaxing rocket time).

I like the thought of using odd objects and the sort; my wife has some of those cardboard Christmas thingies, and I can see that as a start.

I'm already given a hard time by my family (in jest) because everything I look at could be launched, but now I can broaden my diameter horizons!

You can make a square rocket out of foamboard, or triangular or octagonal. You can make it pretty much any size.

Ari.

You can make a square rocket out of foamboard, or triangular or octagonal. You can make it pretty much any size.

Ari.

Now that's thinking out of the box (pun intended). It would have to be the pink foam, right Ari? ;)

Good ideas guys, thank you.

I'm working on an 8" diameter carbon/honeycomb design that will fly class 1. I'm hoping to get up to 12" diameter and still fly lpr.

Back