Does a Quest PNC40 plastic nose cone fit an Estes BT-60 tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Estes BT-60 tubes have a 40.513mm ID.
The Quest PNC-40 is listed as a 40mm part. If the shoulder is 40mm diameter it will work, if the nose cone is 40mm, it won't.
Check the Quest website.

I checked the website. No joy.

Last edited:
I'm afraid not. The Quest 40mm tube slips inside the BT-60 tubing, and the nose cone will do the same.

BUT, if you ever need couplers for BT-60, or want to do something tricky like rear ejection, now you know what tube will work. Use the Quest 40mm tube as the motor mount, the BT-60 as the airframe.

I have done this, and it does work very well.

They are close -
The Quest 40mm (white tube) slides right into the Estes BT-60 like a loose coupler.

BT60.Q40mm.jpg

BMS has "Bertha cones" for $4.25 each.

You can also pick up Estes PNC-60 cone packs of 4 (2 Bertha cones and 2 longer ogive types) from various vendors for less than 10 bucks so if you think you could dream up some use for the 'extras' that would probably be cheaper.

If you are dead-set on using that quest 40m nose cone then here is what you can do.

Cut a section of Quest 40mm tube about 1 ½” long and glue over the shoulder of the Quest nose cone.

Get a strip of “Evergreen” strip styrene plastic .02” x .04” and glue it around the base of the nosecone just above the shoulder.
Use Testor’s liquid, the kind in the bottle with a brush, model cement.

The 40mm tube section will act as the shoulder and the strip styrene will prevent the cone from sliding down the BT 60 tube.

Instead of screwin around with stuff like that, why not use a nose cone that fits the body tube?

Instead of screwin around with stuff like that, why not use a nose cone that fits the body tube?
I like the way you think.
Went to the jonrocket store on eBay, had the 2 big Bertha and 2 black conical BT-60 nose cones for $7, and had the BT 60 tubes at 18" for $1.25. I needed to replace my Adeptor adapter anyway. Let's you EASILY put an 1/8 or 3/16 launch rod on a photo or video tripod. Unfortunately my tripod "disappeared" at a launch, so need new equipment.

Anyway, looking at a scratch design called the Humpty Dumpty lander. Looks a little like the Mars Lander, but will have three body tubes and nose cones above "Humpty"
The upper section will hold two chutes for Humpty which will attach to his shoulders, and will have an attachment a tube on Humpty's back that will hold a chute for the upper section.

It is only single stage, when ejection blows off the upper section with a piston in Humpty's head, the two separate. Humpty has 4 leg fins and hopefully will "stick" the landing.

Back