SARG HAS A NEW FIELD!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hball55

Reaction score
Next Launch, April 26 . . . I sure hope it's a good field and not a swamp:smile:

What the heck, it's only 60-70 minutes away for me . . . I was fighting off sleep going home from Snow Ranch today.

Just read the new launch rules, hardly different from LUNAR Ames launches. Very disappointing for all except low/mid power folks.

According to the new rules, we'll be able to launch some low power H motors. I'm fine with that. I'm just glad we have a field.

I have several small HP rockets that will fill the bill so I'm okay with the restrictions.

Snow Ranch will see my bigger birds.

Great news, SARG! Congratulations!

A little feedback about the location info on the website:

For me, the "Directions to Launch" on the "Welcome" page is not showing up in my browser on my Mac using Safari. The map that first displays on this page doesn't work right for me: ttp://www.sargrocket.org/

I can view it on my iPad, but the map itself is overlaid almost entirely by the map options checkboxes, so it's not really usable. I thought I would try it on the computer and cannot see the map at all.

There is also a tab for "Launch and Meeting Sites," and on that tab is a link for "View Map" that takes you to a Google Maps page with a GPS coordinate on Sunset Blvd W, between 99 and 65, near Lincoln. That does not look like the same site. Is it the old one?

I know SARG just obtained the new site, and probably has not had a chance to fully update the website, so I thought I would point out these quirks, and maybe the info will get back to whoever handles the website for the club. For me, the most useful piece of information I can have about a site location is an address that I can plug into my Garmin or TomTom GPS. Second best is a Google Maps location like the one that is currently being shown for what I think is the wrong site --- something I can use to print directions and calculate distance and time from my home.

Great news, SARG! Congratulations!

A little feedback about the location info on the website:

For me, the "Directions to Launch" on the "Welcome" page is not showing up in my browser on my Mac using Safari. The map that first displays on this page doesn't work right for me: ttp://www.sargrocket.org/

I can view it on my iPad, but the map itself is overlaid almost entirely by the map options checkboxes, so it's not really usable. I thought I would try it on the computer and cannot see the map at all.

There is also a tab for "Launch and Meeting Sites," and on that tab is a link for "View Map" that takes you to a Google Maps page with a GPS coordinate on Sunset Blvd W, between 99 and 65, near Lincoln. That does not look like the same site. Is it the old one?

I know SARG just obtained the new site, and probably has not had a chance to fully update the website, so I thought I would point out these quirks, and maybe the info will get back to whoever handles the website for the club. For me, the most useful piece of information I can have about a site location is an address that I can plug into my Garmin or TomTom GPS. Second best is a Google Maps location like the one that is currently being shown for what I think is the wrong site --- something I can use to print directions and calculate distance and time from my home.

I have the same display issue on my laptop... though it was due to older browser... I could display on other devices... I emailed Tom, he takes care of the SARG website and I'm sure he'll address.

Hey, and there's even a place to get eats not too far away, "Chuck's Custom Slaughter," and with a name like that, who's appetite isn't whetted. I'm sure there's something for a Thirsty Barbarian.

I do have all my Aerotech rockets and an obscene amount of single-use and 29-40/120 reloads, even a number of 24-40 reloads, so I may as well start reducing my inventory. I know I'll have better luck with them than I have lately with my High Power stuff.

Last edited:
I have the same display issue on my laptop... though it was due to older browser... I could display on other devices... I emailed Tom, he takes care of the SARG website and I'm sure he'll address.

SARG website update... launch site tab has directions to new field.

Hi all,

Yes, SARG has a new field, and yes for now it's medium power only (edit: MPR *and* some H HPR ;)) . It's a quarter parcel at ~2500' on each side and flat as a pancake. That's not quite enough for official NAR guidelines for "I" motors, tho. Most importantly there are high-tension transmission lines along the east edge of the field, so we really can't push it there.

There is plenty of room otherwise, even for an H flight, but we don't have a waiver at this point so that's where the whole 125 grams of propellent thing came from, that keeps us under FAA "Class 1" requirements (and thus requires no waiver). We felt it was more important to get a place for the Scouts and 4H kids to fly first :).

The 2500' ceiling came from the fact this is a new field, we need no surprises at this point, and you know, power lines ;). After a launch or two or three we'll raise it.

Now, for the HPR folks, don't fret. The owner of this property owns 3 of the 4 quarter parcel plots, and we're inquiring about how we can leverage them too, that could get us the potential space we'd need for an "I" launch. It ain't the L2 field we used to have, but hey, we're flying.

And we've learned a painful lesson, we're not stopping in the field search. We have a few more possibilities brewing for full on L2 fields, but we're also learning that in the byzantine layers of ranchers and land developers things move painfully slowly.

Marc
NAR L1

Last edited:
Marc, is that you making your first ever post here on TRF? What took you so long? :)

BTW, props to you and the other SARG officers who conducted the site search.

And Hank? "Murder Burger" in Davis has some excellent fare. Oh, wait...they changed their name to "Redrum Burger".
Redrum Burger

Yes, I have eaten at Murder Burger but not since the name change. I was only joking about the other place; I saw it on the map and I felt the name was worth a few chuckles. That's great news about the possibility of a full level 2 field; I can save my larger motors for Blackrock as I have already been doing. My legs aren't what they used to be and walking, nay even standing even half the day leaves them tired and weak.

I plan to get back to walking the neighborhood route, nice and hilly, to get back in shape; I got lazy this winter and it does no good to be that way at near 60. I don't want to become one of those men with a walker in their sixties, seventies maybe:grin:

Yes, I have eaten at Murder Burger but not since the name change. I was only joking about the other place; I saw it on the map and I felt the name was worth a few chuckles. That's great news about the possibility of a full level 2 field; I can save my larger motors for Blackrock as I have already been doing. My legs aren't what they used to be and walking, nay even standing even half the day leaves them tired and weak.

I plan to get back to walking the neighborhood route, nice and hilly, to get back in shape; I got lazy this winter and it does no good to be that way at near 60. I don't want to become one of those men with a walker in their sixties, seventies maybe:grin:
Invest in an exercise bike or join a gym so you can get some work in even when it's cold or rainy.

...and it wasn't that long ago that we thought it would never rain again! SARG lives!!!

Weird. It's not showing up for me in Chrome, but it is in Internet Explorer.

You guys read that LUNAR is having another HP launch next Saturday?

Yes, they made the announcement at the launch last Saturday. I don't know why they're doing it, but I'll be there.

Hi all,

Yes, SARG has a new field, and yes for now it's medium power only (edit: MPR *and* some H HPR ;)) . It's a quarter parcel at ~2500' on each side and flat as a pancake. That's not quite enough for official NAR guidelines for "I" motors, tho. Most importantly there are high-tension transmission lines along the east edge of the field, so we really can't push it there.

Hey Marc,

Do you know where in the field we'll be setting up the pads? It looks like there are low tension power lines along the north and west edges.

I think the jury is kind of still out on that. I can't remember the exact measurements but when we were there, we measured in a bit past half way from the east side and then headed north 1200 to 1500'. That put us in the upperish part of the field towards the left... ish. We had a northerly wind so the idea what we wanted a little more padding toward the south and east for drift. Of course I swear I remember a more southerly wind at the old SARG field, so who knows.

This is why we're being conservative with the ceiling :).

Back