anyone built or building Apogee Gyro-Chaser?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone had a chance to build Apogee's fairly new Gyro-Chaser internal Rotor Helicopter Model?

A Very KEWL - semi-international style internal rotor Helicopter Duration model. Very Nicely done kit (with the exception of putting the instructions on a DVD instead of written) but that's another story. This Build went exactly as planned until I was about to install the rotors.....

I'm all but done building mine but have a notion something isn't quite right. Seems to me the rotors somehow got reversed in the laser cutting department, putting the mounting slot in the wrong end. I've sent a message to Apogee about this concern but haven't heard anything back yet. It's only been a day or two since bringing this question to them so I thought I'd ask TRF if any of you have this model?

I'm sure the model will fly as shown and instructed, but I'm also very sure it would be a far better duration model with the meat of the Rotors span on the outer 2/3rds rather then mounted next to the hub. Haven't taken any photos of this build yet.

If anyone has built and/or flown this model I'd be very interested in your flight reports and durations on A8-3, B6-4 and C6-7 motors.
Thanks

I'll be unwrapping my rotors today. Are your slots in the fat or narrow end?

kj

In the Fat end Kevin:
I'm Bringing the kit to the meeting tonight. I had hoped to get you, Chris and Jim to take a look at it and tell me what you think.
Hope to see you this evening

The fat end is the correct end. I'll have mine at the meeting as well.

kj

Building has been complete for over a month. Due to High Winds at our last Club Launch I was not able to fly the Gyro-Chaser. Hopefully will get a chance either this weekend or next depending again on the darn weather.

Thought I'd upload a few pictures of the completed internal rotor Helicopter recovery model. The Gyro-Chaser is a Very Nicely produced Kit!
If you enjoy building and flying Copters this is one you should have.

692-a02a_Gyro-Chaser HD rotors-In_04-05-14.jpg

692-a02b_Gyro-Chaser HD Rotors Out_04-05-14.jpg

692-a02c_Gyro-Chaser HD Bands Close-Up_04-13-14.JPG

692-a02d_Gyro-Chaser HD Shock Attach_04-13-14.jpg

Looks cool. Apogee has some neat kits.
FYI, you can do better on the replacement rubber bands on amazon.
Apogee charges $1.25 for six bands.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Helicopter_Supplies/Orthodontic_Rubber_Bands

Amazon has $4.99 (free shipping) for 1000 small bands in a variety pack, not all are the same size as the apogee orthodontic bands, but I'd hazard a WHOLE lot more than 24.
Or $7.50 (again free shipping) for 100 identical bands.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ber+bands&sprefix=Small+colored+rubbe,aps,266

Walmart has multisize clear bands, the smallest I believe are identical in size and you get a lot more, for $2.12
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goody-Hair-Rubber-Bands-Clear-3-Different-Sizes/12018417

Back