Light fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagthegreat

Reaction score
I have a rocket using bt80 tubing to carry 2 eggs to 900 feet, use f39 motor (this isnt for TARC). I am trying to conserve weights, how thin of a basswood can i use for the fins to make then functional but light

Maybe you could cut weight reducing holes in it, then cover them with paper/packing tape.

Or, what about a veil layer of FG (0.75oz) or something like that instead of packing tape? It would be much stronger and not much heavier...

Or, what about a veil layer of FG (0.75oz) or something like that instead of packing tape? It would be much stronger and not much heavier...

I was thinking of quick field repairs... although, you might want to put in a small hole to "pop" the hollow space to prevent the pressure from expanding the tape (presuming a very good seal).

You are going to need to estimate max velocity as well as give what the fin shape will be. The question you are really asking is "how do I avoid flutter destroying my fins during flight".

The question you are really asking is "how do I avoid flutter destroying my fins during flight".

Even for an F motor, you'll be pushing significant mass in you payload. Consequently, your max velocity will be much lower. Also, given you have 2 eggs in the nose, you'll have your CG way forward. You don't need really big fins to make it stable. Use only 3 fins having a low aspect ratio: something along the lines of this (which, IMHO, is probably larger than you need)

Using 3/16" balsa and then glassing with lightweight cloth would be my approach - I just flew a rocket built that way on a CTI F51, good flyer. It can and will take a much bigger motor on future flights.

A good papering job on Balsa will be pretty light. The only thing I know that's lighter than papering is using R-Foil adhesive tape on the fins.

You could lighten them up quite a bit by making the fins hollow (holes) then covering them up afterwards, as long as your holes aren't too big!. Many small holes are better than one large one (distributes stress more evenly along the entire fin better).

I think you are right about the need to conserve weight. 1/8" Papered balsa TTW fins should be strong enough, and help to keep the weight down.

A good papering job on Balsa will be pretty light. The only thing I know that's lighter than papering is using R-Foil adhesive tape on the fins.

You could lighten them up quite a bit by making the fins hollow (holes) then covering them up afterwards, as long as your holes aren't too big!. Many small holes are better than one large one (distributes stress more evenly along the entire fin better).
R-foil?

I think I need to get some of this stuff.

EDIT: whelp, $80 for 500 square feet. Hrm. :/

Last edited:
Home Depot, Lowes, or any good hardware store should carry it. A roll will last you for years.

Zeroignite said:
EDIT: whelp, $80 for 500 square feet. Hrm. :/

I picked up a roll of 2" x 300 feet for under $20 up here. Let me have a look, kay?

Last edited:
At the risk of being the single voice of dissent, papering and glassing in unnecessary.

NAR competitors have been flying the Dual Egglofter competitions for over 40 years. You need look no further than published plans for US record holding Dual Eggloft designs to see what kind of materials they used. I did a very cursory search and found one design that used 1/16" plywood and another that used 1/8" balsa. No reenforcing was required for either. The design employing balsa used a low aspect ratio fin shape as I suggested above.

You may want to do a more thorough search for designs than I did, to see what other materials choices folks have made for this event. But I suspect you see more of the same. After all, these are LOW POWER rockets, with a less-than-optimal frontal area, carrying a massive payload relative to the motor's peak thrust. These vehicles are not attaining the velocities of sleek 4FNC high power rockets and therefore not experiencing the same level of aerodynamic stress.

I actually thought he wanted to go THIN, like 1/32" basswood...

Currently I am thinking about just laser cutting 1/8 inch basswood, the previous version of this rocket had 3/16 basswood and we were 20 feet off the altitude. So im thinking that the 1/8 inch will shave off a few grams. I attached pics of the fins, they are at an angle so that when it gets laser cut, the grain is proper.
Dimensions: 4.1 inches long
Height: 2.2 inches
Rocket total length: 24 inches

Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 6.26.06 PM.png

Using 3/16" balsa and then glassing with lightweight cloth would be my approach - I just flew a rocket built that way on a CTI F51, good flyer. It can and will take a much bigger motor on future flights.

A single layer of .75 oz. FG cloth makes 1/8" balsa stronger than plywood and lighter than bass wood!

Jerome :)

At the risk of being the single voice of dissent, papering and glassing in unnecessary.

NAR competitors have been flying the Dual Egglofter competitions for over 40 years. You need look no further than published plans for US record holding Dual Eggloft designs to see what kind of materials they used. I did a very cursory search and found one design that used 1/16" plywood and another that used 1/8" balsa. No reenforcing was required for either. The design employing balsa used a low aspect ratio fin shape as I suggested above.

You may want to do a more thorough search for designs than I did, to see what other materials choices folks have made for this event. But I suspect you see more of the same. After all, these are LOW POWER rockets, with a less-than-optimal frontal area, carrying a massive payload relative to the motor's peak thrust. These vehicles are not attaining the velocities of sleek 4FNC high power rockets and therefore not experiencing the same level of aerodynamic stress.

+1

I have flown rockets up to G power with unreinforced 1/8 inch balsa wood fins without issues.

You should have no problems with 1/8 inch basswood and F power.

Back