Maine Missile Math & Science Club April Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAC of MMMSClub

Reaction score
Hi All,

The Turf Farm is a sloppy gloppy mess where it is not still frozen. The Turf Farm management and I, do not want to have anyone get a vehicle stuck or sink on foot.

So we are 8 days away from launch day on the 12th. If the field is not passable on the 12th the next date is April 19th.

Stay tuned!

If the launch is pushed back a week, would it be possible to consider holding it on Sunday the 20th? I will be getting home from school on the 19th, and would love to be able to go to more than just 2 or so launches this year. If it isn't delayed, or if it can't be on Sunday, I totally understand and will see you all later on in the summer! Thanks!

Unfortunately the 20th is Easter Sunday. A lot of people may have family plans. Of course you might attract a crowd with an MMMSC Egg Hunt!

I know it isn't on their calendar to attend this launch on either weekend, but is it possible Jason will be there?

I thought of using the egg drop/hunt thing to raise money for the club, trailer, outreach etc. BUT the fact that when the signal was given children were trampled by "Adults" trying to find the Token for the large screen TV.....Is not how I want the club to make the nightly NEWS.

I will not dress up as a bunny, I have some standards, they are pretty low, but I have them.

Don't want to bust up Easter stuff on 20th. CMASS is 26th., So 27th. is out.

Well it will be the weather between now and the 10th/11th that really makes the call. 12th. or 19th.???

Haven't been out to a launch there since 2011. About to finish converting my Nuke Pro to dual deployment and a new scratch built 29mm. I'm sitting on a ton of G's and H's just begging to get lit. Really hoping the weather cooperates because I'll be out of the country the 16-26! What altitude is the waiver for now a days and does DeHate from AMW come?

Well it will be the weather between now and the 10th/11th that really makes the call. 12th. or 19th.???

The weather also will affect what I fly. It's been too cold to paint so I may have to fly naked. :jaw: The rockets. Not me. :lol:

Haven't been out to a launch there since 2011. About to finish converting my Nuke Pro to dual deployment and a new scratch built 29mm. I'm sitting on a ton of G's and H's just begging to get lit. Really hoping the weather cooperates because I'll be out of the country the 16-26! What altitude is the waiver for now a days and does DeHate from AMW come?
It's still a 10,000-foot waiver but even if our launch area is not too mucky to use, the areas around the edges of the field will likely be moist. Of course, you'll adjust your thinking for the conditions at the time of the launch. I haven't checked their site to see if Robert and Gloria will be there but contact them and let them know what you might want; if they don't come up due to a previous engagement, Jason will be covering for them and can bring anything there is on hand.

The weather also will affect what I fly. It's been too cold to paint so I may have to fly naked. :jaw: The rockets. Not me. :lol:
Thanks for the clarification; I can put my blindfold away. :grin:

In Other NEWS,

The wind has been blowing very nicely and it is a dry wind so it should be taking some water molecules with it!

I hope the field dries out nicely as I won't be able to get up there the 19th. I am looking to fly my LOC Weasel on a Road Runner F45, my Black Brant 5C on a Aerotech F25, and attempt a good flight with my Hellfire on a J275W to about 2200 feet.

I'm still thinking about my line up but one thing I will fly for sure is a 5-engine cluster I built over the winter. I think it will pass the positive retention rules since, although the Estes BP engines are friction fitted, the exposed ends will be taped to the engine mounts. I'll put up my LOC V2 as well.

That's how I've always attach my motors. Never had a CTI case blow out in flights or during ground test. I would think taping exposed portions of the motor to body tubes is positive retention. If not I need to figure out something creative.

I'm still thinking about my line up but one thing I will fly for sure is a 5-engine cluster I built over the winter. I think it will pass the positive retention rules since, although the Estes BP engines are friction fitted, the exposed ends will be taped to the engine mounts. I'll put up my LOC V2 as well.

What I do is tape the Estes engine so it is moderately tight. I usually end up having to use pliers to get them out. I then tape the exposed end to the motor tube.

That's how I've always attach my motors. Never had a CTI case blow out in flights or during ground test. I would think taping exposed portions of the motor to body tubes is positive retention. If not I need to figure out something creative.

I use this method all the time in other venues, although I have started using retainers for all my larger stuff by default. The problem here is that the field is an active turf farm and leaving engines and casings around can be a real hazard when they mow. Having lost a CTI casing a couple of years ago, which was found and returned by a worker at the farm, I am sensitive to the issue. So are the club and RSO, and for good reason. We'd hate to lose the use of a such a good field.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Due to the current field conditions and impending rain forecast for this week we will shoot for Saturday April 19th.

It is just too soupy!

Thanks for the early heads-up.
Now, on to Plan B.
Gives you more time to work on that bunny suit....
th
:lol:.

I think it would be cool to have some type of themed launch where we do wear costumes. Maybe a Halloween launch?
People dressed like zombies,blood and guts and all that horror stuff, launching rockets,hmmmm,may see the law show up before that day is over....:y:

Kenn, you can work on your bunny suit and I can slap some paint on my rockets so they, and I, will not be naked. :D

RIMRA launch is also scrubbed for tomorrow 4/12/2014 - same reason, field and farm roads are too messy according to club officers.

I have to rethink my line up since the prediction is for 15-25mph winds. Sims show that the cluster is unstable in winds over 15mph. Given that this a maiden flight for a new design, I wouldn't fly it on a windy day in any case. My DD is yet to be tested so I will likely fly small stuff with reefed chutes or streamers.

How's the field?

Hey Matt,

I'll jump in for Scott. We had a dozen or so flyers and 29 launches total ranging from A to I impulse. One fellow got his Junior Level 1.

The wind was strong and ultimately shut us down early but everybody adjusted nicely and the trees didn't claim any rockets. There is one somewhere in the marshy, tall-grass area but that will turn up.

All in all, not a bad day. Glad you got to CATO; I need to get to their field sometime this summer.

Back