PVC Retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiley

Reaction score
Hey all, I'd like to try using a PVC screw-on motor retainer on my next build, but before I run out and buy a 3/4" compression fitting, I thought I'd ask one important question. I know people have said that these fit on 29mm motor tubing, but I know that not all tubes are created equal. Has anyone made one of these to fit an AT 29mm tube?

Hey all, I'd like to try using a PVC screw-on motor retainer on my next build, but before I run out and buy a 3/4" compression fitting, I thought I'd ask one important question. I know people have said that these fit on 29mm motor tubing, but I know that not all tubes are created equal. Has anyone made one of these to fit an AT 29mm tube?

You need some milk... :wink:

A compression fitting for 3/4" pvc isn't going to fit over a 29mm motor.

I have made a few from PVC but, now with Estes' retainers available, will never do so again. Way too much work and mess. If you want to do DIY, I'd follow the links in the post above.

No? Here's a link to an EMRR article describing the process: https://www.rocketreviews.com/next-1435.html

I know other folks have done it as well.

3/4" PVC is 27mm o.d. There's enough slop in the fitting to get the casing in but I couldn't see how it would fit over the motor tube. Now I see from the article that you have to machine the inside. I don't know about you but I don't think the $3 savings per pair would be worth it to me and I like making my own stuff.

Going back lack to your original question, if a stock retainer doesn't fit over the motor tube, modifying the retainer (if it's plastic) or modifying the tube (if it's an aluminum retainer) still seems like less work.

I did that article, before the Estes were available. I used a dremel with a sanding drum on it, to sand out the inside to fit over the 29mm tube, It did not take long, and I would do it again, if I had no hobby shops close by with the Estes retainers, and I wanted to work on something immediately. The 1/2 compression takes a little more work to sand out the inside, but give a smaller footprint, similar to the Estes Retainers.

Back