Interchangeable buttons and lugs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trooper

Reaction score
I just mounted buttons and lugs on my current build. Then I realized if I had a second set of screws, I could epoxy the lugs on the screws to have interchangeable lugs and buttons. This would reduce the drag of having lugs permanently attached while giving the versatility of two launch methods.

Has anyone tried this and tested it?

Maybe I'm having trouble visualizing. How would you turn the attached (epoxied) screws?

What size and style Lugs? If they are the Aerotech ones, you can drill through the outside, then on the inner Wall facing the Body Tube, drill a smaller diameter hole that is countersunk for your Srews that you use for your Buttons.
Are you using 1010 size Buttons? Are you using the Flanged Nut on the inside of the Body Tube to screw in to?
Some Pics' of what you are working with will make it easy to get your interchange Idea to work.

Last edited:
The side of the lug would be epoxied to the head of the screw. The lug would allow it to be hand tightened, using the lug itself as a handle to apply torque.

What size and Style Lugs? If they are the Aerotech ones, you can drill through the outside, then on the inner Wall facing the Body Tube, drill a smaller diameter hole that is countersunk for your Srews that you use for your Buttons.
Are you using 1010 size Buttons? Are you useing the Flanged Nut on the inside of the Body Tube to screw in to?
Some Pics' of what you are working with will make it easy to get your interchange Idea to work.

Standard Apogee rail buttons and an Estes PSII lug; I think its 1/4". I like the idea of drilling though and countersinking, but if I do that I'll use aluminum tubes and JB Weld.

Why are you worried about a little drag from the extra lugs? I have a PML Callisto that had 1/4 lugs and when I started launching in 2003 rods were all that was available. Today it has 1010 button on the opposite side. I have't used a rod to launch it in 6 - 7 years, but I haven't bothered taking the lugs off. That would mean I would have to repaint it. I've never worried about the drag or seen any reason it affected any of the flights.

I would suggest put the lugs on one side and the buttons on the other and fly off of whatever is available.

Why are you worried about a little drag from the extra lugs? I have a PML Callisto that had 1/4 lugs and when I started launching in 2003 rods were all that was available. Today it has 1010 button on the opposite side. I have't used a rod to launch it in 6 - 7 years, but I haven't bothered taking the lugs off. That would mean I would have to repaint it. I've never worried about the drag or seen any reason it affected any of the flights.

I would suggest put the lugs on one side and the buttons on the other and fly off of whatever is available.

It does have both lugs and buttons. I like the aesthetics, rigidity, and presumably lower drag of the rail launch. But, the versatility of having both and the lower drag would be nice too.

Back