Anyone Still Play NES Games?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I just ordered one of those Nintendo Entertainment System Clones from Amazon for $15.
I also found Marble Madness and Tetris.
The System plays the old Nintendo 8 Bit Games. I watched some reviews on Youtube, and it looks like for the Price, it is a fair Deal, and this Summer, when I'm out Garage Saling, perhaps I'll be able to score some Games.
I'm not a Gamer, but I would like to play some of the Games I used to have when I was a Kid for the simple Nostalgia of it.
I was wondering if anyone else here still ever plays old School 8 Bit Games.

Last edited:
I did off and on using emulators on a PC. I wouldn't want to deal with those cartridges.

I played a couple levels of Zelda, but got sick of after a while.

emulators are the way to go. I still have my NES, but it's a pain in the rear to get the games to play......and the whole blow it out and reinsert thing we used to have to do.

Mine is so old we had to get the Dice Upgrade. You have to roll three 7's in a row to get the cartridge to boot up......

Well, for $30 I'll be playing Tetris and Marble Madness, and you can't beat a deal like that. I might like to get Metriod and the MegaMan Games eventually too.

I would be but recently killed mine trying to recap it. The picture had horrible moire lines to the composite output, and rf out just always looks terrible. I'll get another (a real one) eventually. Deoxit works wonders for them and is the proper method to getting the games to play. Blowing on them does nothing but get moist breath on them, which if you think about it, is a horrible idea. I also found that once inserted and pushed down, you back the game toward the opening a little bit and that usually got them to work better.

I'm mostly a super nintendo fan though. The level of improvement between the original Metroid (can't stand it) and Super Metroid (one of my favorite games ever) is just staggering.

Oh man when I was in Junior High I was playing NES games every chance I had. I had over 30 games at one point, great memories but I have no desire to play any of those games again. When the games weren't working, the hot tip was to clean the contacts on the cartridges with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. I currently just play Xbox 360 and have 100 + games for that!

Yes, still do. Only a couple of games though; Contra and Super C (advanced version of Contra).

Mike

Well...I've got a CoCo 2 new in box out in the garage. Any games for it? And there's the TI 99/4A around here some where, with a box of game disks...

This is what I ordered. $15 @ Amazon. Youtube folks said it is a good deal for $15.

I used to enjoy pong, my kids played with a NES. Duck Hunt, right?

You might want to also purchase the Game Genie. It will allow you all kinds of benefits like extra lives, unlimited lives, invulnerability, etc. i have the Retro Duo myself and use the Game Genie to get through those impossible levels of the Mario Brothers games.

I still have some of the games and the gun.
Kept them, even though the NES died many years ago. :(
I was thinking of buying one but, never got around to it.
Metroid was my favorite game.
I just wish they continued the series.
One of many Nintendo's short comings.

JD

I would be but recently killed mine trying to recap it. The picture had horrible moire lines to the composite output, and rf out just always looks terrible. I'll get another (a real one) eventually. Deoxit works wonders for them and is the proper method to getting the games to play. Blowing on them does nothing but get moist breath on them, which if you think about it, is a horrible idea. I also found that once inserted and pushed down, you back the game toward the opening a little bit and that usually got them to work better.

I'm mostly a super nintendo fan though. The level of improvement between the original Metroid (can't stand it) and Super Metroid (one of my favorite games ever) is just staggering.

I've got a NES, SNES, N64, VB, some gameboys, and a cube. all were working last I checked but the NES has been hit or miss. Used to work if you pressed a game down and jammed another game in above it. I miss playing all of them, Super Metroid being high on that list. I used to sit down with a group of friends and play things like Dragon Warrior straight through without stopping. good times,.

I still have the original Atari 2600 wood grain ( the 6 switch ) with a hundred or so games . I need to pull that out and play it

Speaking of old game consoles, I miss my commodore 64 and 128. My friends would sit around and compete in the Winter Games, Summer Games, and Summer Games 2. One particular episode of the Ski Jump had the four of us in succession, on our last jump, set the World Record (on our machine) and I was last to jump . . . It was my machine and they weren't happy with me, claiming unfair advantage. Trouble is, it was the first time any of us had played.

I had a Commodore VIC 20 and a Texas Instruments TI-99. Then we got an Intellivision. A Vectrex was next, and then some Years later I finally got my first NES.

ETA: Intellivision was not made by Coleco, my bad.

Last edited:
I had a Commodore VIC 20 and a Texas Instruments TI-99. Then we got a Coleco Intellivision. A Vectrex was next, and then some Years later I finally got my first NES.

I had an Intellivision too, used to kick butt playing against a friend and finally one day he beat me and before I could stop myself I slapped the console and broke the on/off switch. I never felt so low because it made me look like a much poorer sport than I was. I was mad at losing, but I would have gladly congratulated him and went back to playing to win, giving my best, but it was too late . . . the console would play no more.

My family still play old NES. We have them on a switch so they can go old school or Wii or XBox. They had some cool games that weren't based on blowing people up; just fun.

I've got a NES, SNES, N64, VB, some gameboys, and a cube.
Woah a Virtual Boy. That's the only one on that list I don't have. I remember riding my bike to Blockbuster to play with that, but it just didnt have the games to be worth getting.

I'm playing Castlevania Symphony of the Night right now and it's so much like Super Metroid I should've gotten it fifteen years ago.

You can also buy new game connectors for the NES for less than ten bucks. Doesnt require any soldering, just a few screws, and you're back to having your games play reliably again.

not sure who wound up with our NES if it is still at my parents or my brother has it, but there is a cottage industry out there that produces new games, they take the cartridges apart and reprogram them, they are a bit on the expensive side though. Wired has an article on it every so often. they don't make games you can get lost in like that anymore.

Then we got a Coleco Intellivision.

These are 2 different things.....Did you get the Intellivision or the Colecovision?? I'm guessing Colecovision. I had the Intellivision which kicked the crap out of Atari graphics wise. Then I played my cousins Coleco and graphics were never the same on the Intellivision. I killed a couple of them, they had a bad habit of not being able to play the games after a while.
We've had Pong, Intellivision, Sega Genesis, NES, PSI, PSII, Xbox, Xbox360, Color Gameboy, PSP, and Ninetindo DS and DSi.......I think that's all

I still have the original Atari 2600 wood grain ( the 6 switch ) with a hundred or so games . I need to pull that out and play it

I was working for an authorized Atari repair center when those came out. I fixed around 20-30 of them a day. The switches on the first gen machines were crap, about one in ten failed from the factory. Kept me busy as heck for months after that Christmas.

These are 2 different things.....Did you get the Intellivision or the Colecovision?? I'm guessing Colecovision. I had the Intellivision which kicked the crap out of Atari graphics wise. Then I played my cousins Coleco and graphics were never the same on the Intellivision. I killed a couple of them, they had a bad habit of not being able to play the games after a while.
We've had Pong, Intellivision, Sega Genesis, NES, PSI, PSII, Xbox, Xbox360, Color Gameboy, PSP, and Ninetindo DS and DSi.......I think that's all

We had Intellivision. I thought Coleco made it.
Your right, they are two different things, this is the one we had:

I remember how the different Games came with these things you slid into place over the Number Keys to match the Keys to the different Games.
My favorite game had Navy Ships, and you had to float around on a Map doing something against the enemy Ships. The first "Video Game Glitch" I ever witnessed was on one of the Intellivision Games. It was a Card Game, where the Dealer was at the Top of the Screen, and he would deal out the Cards to position on the Table at the Bottom of the Screen. The Glitch I witnessed was when the Dealer was throwing the Cards, one of the Cards continued to fly right out of the Picture rather than stop in its position. I will always remember how funny I thought that that was.

Last edited:
We had Intellivision. I thought Coleco made it.
Your right, they are two different things, this is the one we had:

I remember how the different Games came with these things you slid into place over the Number Keys to match the Keys to the different Games.
My favorite game had Navy Ships, and you had to float around on a Map doing something against the enemy Ships. The first "Video Game Glitch" I ever witnessed was on one of the Intellivision Games. It was a Card Game, where the Dealer was at the Top of the Screen, and he would deal out the Cards to position on the Table at the Bottom of the Screen. The Glitch I witnessed was when the Dealer was throwing the Cards, one of the Cards continued to fly right out of the Picture rather than stop in its position. I will always remember how funny I thought that that was.

Heh! Me too! Loved that system. Controllers wrre'nt great, but the games rocked!

Back