Nylon Harness

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrAdam

Reaction score
I purchased some 9/16 tubular nylon a while back for a recovery harness. I am sewing loops in the ends for attachment points. However, when I received it I discovered it is quite stiff. I cannot remember where I purchased it from at the moment so with that being said…

Is there a way to soften this stuff up? The stiffness works great for sewing. Keeps thing aligned. But I am concerned about packing because it is so stiff.

95 views and yours is the first suggestion. I am not sure why I did not think of that but I am going to make a trip to the washing machine. Think I will crochet them first so they don't wrap around anything. I'll post results later.

I daisy chain my climbing ropes before washing.

I would recommend washing with Woolite versus fabric softner.

So many rockets, so little time, and money.

Never responded back to this. Soaked for a long time with Woolite and it seemed to help some but still needs work. I think it needs to be used a bit to loosen up. If others have the same problem it did help.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I know what you are talking about... the bulk stuff I got from Strapworks.com is nice and strong and STIFF .

The stuff I got from TopFlight Recovery is strong too, but it's soft like butter and super flexible.

I think it's something to do with the material, it's blend or composition or something... all nylon strap is not created equal. :)

Wash in the washing machine on delicate with Woolite

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I know what you are talking about... the bulk stuff I got from Strapworks.com is nice and strong and STIFF .

The stuff I got from TopFlight Recovery is strong too, but it's soft like butter and super flexible.

I think it's something to do with the material, it's blend or composition or something... all nylon strap is not created equal. :)

There is two types of nylon, there is the flat strap and there is the tubular nylon. The strap will tend to be much stiffer. The tubular nylon is usually softer and more flexible.

I've got some tubular nylon I like, but for flat strapping, I usually go with 1/2" wide Kevlar mule tape. It's stronger, can have loops sewn in it, is definitely soft and flexible, and won't melt from hot ejection gases.

Last edited:
Mine is tubular and was very stiff. Contemplated washing in the machine but could not find our garment bag to contain the strap. Last thing I need to do is wrap 60 feet of nylon around the agitator. My wife would cut rocketry out of the hobby budget. So the washing was done in the sink. Woolite and some hand work did loosen it up but once dried it became a little stiff. Not near what it was when new. I think it is manageable now.

I get 9/16" tubular nylon from REI, and it's pretty soft. I've gotten flat nylon from Strapworks that is really stiff, but the last flat I got off Ebay was very soft.

Yes, think I am going to shop around more for next order. I cannot remember where I got it. Some retailer through amazon. 5/8" tubular, mil spec. It is tough. I tried my hand at sewing loops in the ends. Worked out pretty good. Hung an end up high, tied a loop for my feet and suspended myself. Then I "jumped" up and down on the strap a few times. Cant even tell I was on it. I weigh about 230 so not a small load. Especially dynamic. Didn't find the sewing fun. I have been having an increased problem with arthritis so it wore my hands out. I have a small amount of soft nylon from Madcow and it is super easy to sew. Might just have to order from Mike if all the nylon he carries is like whats in the kits. Just hate paying for shipping on small orders. Through amazon it was free.

Back