Question about 24mm motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
I have a question about the AeroTech 24mm E20-4W and any other single use by areotech. How does one keep the areotech motor in a estes motor mount with a engine hook. The estes motors have straight sides and the areotech have a lip at the exhaust end.

Have you tried it already and it didn't fit or are you asking before getting a motor? I've used the E20 in my Black Star Voyager and the hook kept it in just fine. Estes 24mm E motors are about 95mm long and AT's 24mm motors are 70mm long. That's why the lip is there because otherwise it would just fall back to the engine block. Anyway, the Estes motors stick out past the end of the mount and the lip of the AT motors should stick out just as much. The hook should also click right into one of the notches. Hope that helps.

the portion of the aerotech motor(E20) forward of the 'lip' is the same length as an Estes 'D' motor. the thrust ring (lip) pretty much matches the standard Estes overhang. if you're using an Estes 'E' mount, use the orange spacer. insert the motor as you would the Estes motor, then put a wrap or two of masking tape around the end that is protruding to hold the motor hook in place, this will keep the motor from ejecting.
Rex

then put a wrap or two of masking tape around the end that is protruding to hold the motor hook in place, this will keep the motor from ejecting.
Rex

Just getting back into the hobby, and just bought my first 24mm casing. I have seen some fliers use zip ties around the engine hook to hold the motor from ejecting. Is this also acceptable?

Just getting back into the hobby, and just bought my first 24mm casing. I have seen some fliers use zip ties around the engine hook to hold the motor from ejecting. Is this also acceptable?
Sure, just a bit more difficult to remove.

The E20's I've flown have a cut out section aft of the thrust ring which is in the right place and is the right size to fit the Estes motor hook perfectly - no tape required at all.

If using a reloadable casing, that extra security is recommended.

https://amazonhpirccar.com/images/rcimgs/aro52004.jpg So it should slip right in and hook right up and be good to go? How high will this put a hawks hobby goblin or a hawks hobby Cherokee d?

Thanks

Image posted in line:
aro52004.jpg

I think what you mean is whether or not the thrust ring interferes with the Engine hook. In that case, coudn't you bend it a little?

I think what you mean is whether or not the thrust ring interferes with the Engine hook. In that case, coudn't you bend it a little?

The aft molded thrust ring does not interfere in any way with an Estes motor hook. It fits perfectly and it nests into the molded in notch.

The Hawks Hobby Super Goblin sims to 946ft apogee with the AT E20-4. The deployment happens before apogee with that delay though. Using the AT E20-7 with the 7 second delay is more appropriate and gets the apogee to about 990ft, and the rocket will be moving more slowly when the laundry deploys.

The E20-4 is perfect for the Hawks Super Cherokee 29 (with a 24mm adapter). It puts it up to about 515ft according to OpenRocket.

I really like that motor, I flew one in my Estes Mean Machine at the last club launch.

The Hawks Super Cherokee 29 has a 24 mm mount in it. I cloned it for 24mm up to e size motors. I'm remaking everything below the nose cone for 29mm. How high did the Mean Machine go?

Thanks for all the info supplied.

I don't have an altimeter yet, but open rocket says the Mean Machine goes just over 1000 ft on that motor.

It books off the pad way quicker than any black powder motors that's for sure.

Back