Do Clear BT-60 Tubes Exist?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA

Reaction score
I know they have them in BT-55 and and found one in a BT-70. If not, any suggestions for a substitute?

Thanks as always for your time and input.

Steve

There is a fluorescent lamp protector tube that is sold in hardware stores that's just a touch bigger than BT-60.... That's the closest thing I know.

Yes, there are tubes that are matches for the BT-60. However, I've only ever found them in kits already (or a parts assortment), and they are consistently cut to around 5". That said, I've managed to make an entire upscaled clone of a rocket (my Clearokee D) using the florescent light guard mentioned above. I've also used it to make a payload section for a BT-60 upscale of the Estes Supernova, and my take on the Wildman Darkstar.

9410621895_f4de64a68c.jpg
10142776565_dccc9b3a51.jpg

To get a BT-60 nose cone to fit a light guard, I find it best to use a scrap of BT-60 to act as a shim. I also add a small stand off (a piece of a wooden coffee stir stick) to help the launch rod clear the additional thickness.

Hope This Helps!
Jim

Last edited:
I think the new Estes payload tube set includes 2 BT60 size tubes.

Yes, K'Tesh linked to the Estes assortment that contains 'em in his post. They're short - four or five inches tops. I'd forgotten about this set when I posted previously.

Sometimes they can be had from Estes but I haven't used one of theirs (outside of a kit) in many years.

As others have mentioned there are T-8 and T-12 Lamp covers in 4ft and 8ft sections that are a touch larger then BT-50 and BT-55 tubes.
There is also a Pretty extensive selection of Clear Polyethylene and Polycarbonate Mailing tubes available for the industrial supply and packaging stores.
Most do not directly fit our model body tube sizes but MANY are easily adapted to use with our tubes and standard Transitions and Nosecones.
FYI the 2.55 ID section is as close to a BT-80 Tube section dimension as you'll likely get. I use this one often in Upscale.

Clear Payload Bodytube Storage-b_08-27-06.jpg

470o4-sm_PNA parts after cleaning before repacking_09-23-07.JPG

Beautiful! I'll be making a stop at Home Depot tonight on the way home! You guys rock!

Steve

Back