AIM 4 Falcon Build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA

Reaction score
Okay, now that consensus is in regarding the tube length, I've began this puppy. You know what, despite how it appears in the plans, this, looks right. Just pinned this assembly on to see how it looks...I like it. :grin: So we're off!

Again, thanks for all the input guys!
Steve
falcon1.jpg

I like the looks of this one!
Reminds me of a HAWK.
Waiting to see more.:cheers:

JP

At the risk of sounding catty, I think you might want to check the math on your fin span.

Very rough rule of thumb: in most pix, the fins have about "1 diameter" of exposed span. Yours kinda look like you put the full fin span on just one side?

Or did you do that on purpose to improve stability?

I will say this, it sims better on a 24mm rather than an 18mm.:)
Falcon sim.jpg

When you say fin span, you mean the distance between the rear and forward fins, correct?
[/URL]

I guess I am posting this whether you really asked for it or not. (But you seem to need it....)

Span---Lateral distance from one fin tip to the other opposite fin tip, through the center of the rocket body and perpendicular to the lengthwise (longitudinal) axis/centerline of the rocket. Sometimes people use "semi-span" or "half-span" which is the distance from the centerline to one fin tip.

As you might wonder, it is not easy to identify "span" for a three-finned rocket, as the fins are arranged such that there is no "opposite" fin for any of them. So, some folks like to use the semi-span measurement instead.

Your picture looks like you are right in line with the kit plans you are following, as Sandman already noted. Ignore my comments, you do not seem to be trying for a fully "scale" model, semi-scale rockets are lots of fun too!

I thought maybe that was what you were getting at, however I think I lost something in translation on my part. No, it was never intended to be a scale project, though I do have set a of plans for a Falcon that is. I'm just doing this because it looked fun. Thanks for the input and willingness to help! I appreciate it.

Steve

Back