New scratch build, now "Binary Effusion"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
Okay, this is TopRamen's fault. He started a thread titled, "Anyone Here Have a Dual 29mm Cluster Rocket???" Well, I don't, and that was all it took.

I'm calling this one "Dual Exhaust", because of its 2x29mm cluster. (I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has a better name.) It will be 4" diameter, 86.5in long, will have five 1/4" plywood fins, and a boattail. The nose cone will be a fiberglass conical I ordered from Performance Hobbies. I ordered the LOC components from Discount Hobby Center. I considered turning the nose cone, but a solid basswood cone would be heavier than the fiberglass, and it's over stable as it is. Plus it's difficult to find 4-1/2" square pieces of basswood. I also considered turning the boattail, but decided on a LOC 3.9-3.0 transition instead. The plastic transition will have much thinner walls than a basswood one would, and give me more clearance for the two motor tubes.

conical2.jpg

View attachment Dual Exhaust_conical2.ork

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

screenshot3.jpg

Last edited:
I want to use TTW fins with tabs, but figuring out the various tab lengths for the two motor tubes would be impossible for my foggy brain. So I decided to try adding a short length of 3.1" tubing with two centering rings, for the tabs to attach to. I've never done this before, so I'll have to see how or if it works out.

fin_tabs_arr.jpg

When you sent me your idea the other day you got me thinking about my unbuilt Madcow Striker.I thought about building it duel deploy also.Very close in appearance.As far as your duel motor mount,I had the same problem when I built my Gemini Titan with TTW.But I had a smaller body tube to work with.You figured it out,wish I had run it by you first when I built mine.

I'm thinking of starting a thread called "Does anyone here have a 16 fin with pods (8x18mm, 8x24mm) 3x38 central cluster rocket." Just to see what you do. ;)

In all seriousness, I like the looks of that rocket a lot.

When you sent me your idea the other day you got me thinking about my unbuilt Madcow Striker.I thought about building it duel deploy also.Very close in appearance.As far as your duel motor mount,I had the same problem when I built my Gemini Titan with TTW.But I had a smaller body tube to work with.You figured it out,wish I had run it by you first when I built mine.

I don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a try.

I'm thinking of starting a thread called "Does anyone here have a 16 fin with pods (8x18mm, 8x24mm) 3x38 central cluster rocket." Just to see what you do. ;)

In all seriousness, I like the looks of that rocket a lot.

Ha! Not sure I'd rise to THAT challenge! I like the design of this a lot, too. It was mostly an accident. I played around with the shape of the fins in Open Rocket, and increased them to five. I really like the five fins on Death Punch.

I love it! Kinda reminds me of a harpoon or something along that line. Very cool indeed.

Obviously I too will be following this build to see what you come up with. :)

Excellent! Another captain low-n-slow
build! (Love the design BTW.) 'Tis like sitting down for a good movie. Subscribed!!:grin:

Sent from my iPod touch using Rocketry Forum

I love it! Kinda reminds me of a harpoon or something along that line. Very cool indeed.

Obviously I too will be following this build to see what you come up with. :)

Excellent! Another captain low-n-slow
build! (Love the design BTW.) 'Tis like sitting down for a good movie. Subscribed!!:grin:

I appreciate the compliments, guys, but it's just going to be the same old techniques. Not much new here. But I do agree, it's a cool design.

Think of a name pertaining to car exhausts.

Loudmouth
Flowmaster
Magnaflow
Cat Back

Something like that.

What do you guys think about "Binary Effusion"? From Merriam-Webster: "(2) : the flow of a gas through an aperture whose diameter is small as compared with the distance between the molecules of the gas"

binary_effusion.jpg

One day I want you to fly all of your rockets !
One , you would be the only one flying
Two , it would be a weekend event .
I like your idea very cool .

What do you guys think about "Binary Effusion"? From Merriam-Webster: "(2) : the flow of a gas through an aperture whose diameter is small as compared with the distance between the molecules of the gas"
As a certain someone would say,I like it,I like it a lot!

One day I want you to fly all of your rockets !
One , you would be the only one flying
Two , it would be a weekend event .
I like your idea very cool .

Ha! You're probably right! I must have over 50 rockets, if you include LPR.

A stretched version of the "Double Pumper" with 29mm motor tubes, I think. LOL!

Actually, that was one of my initial ideas, building an upscale Double Pumper. But I decided I wanted something different. An upscale DP would be pretty short, and I've built enough stubbies recently.

As a certain someone would say,I like it,I like it a lot!

Just not sure the LCO could pronounce "Effusion". :tongue:

Perfect! :D

Ha! You're probably right! I must have over 50 rockets, if you include LPR.

Actually, that was one of my initial ideas, building an upscale Double Pumper. But I decided I wanted something different. An upscale DP would be pretty short, and I've built enough stubbies recently.

Just not sure the LCO could pronounce "Effusion". :tongue:

Why not shorten to the Big E!,For adults only.LOL.

How about from Cheech and Chong's "Big Bambu" when Pedro de Pacas is describing his low rider to The Man (Tommy Chong) and mentions the dual exhaust:

"It's got twice pipes".

Hot rod/low rider slang from the 60's. I was there.

I want to use TTW fins with tabs, but figuring out the various tab lengths for the two motor tubes would be impossible for my foggy brain. So I decided to try adding a short length of 3.1" tubing with two centering rings, for the tabs to attach to. I've never done this before, so I'll have to see how or if it works out.

That should work just fine. It's rather an elegant solution.

just saw this thread....very cool rocket Captain!!!! I got to say thats good thinking about how to deal with the fin tabs, I might have to use that one day, I've so far not done much with clusters, bu t as my desire for bigger rockets increases I might have to explore clusters more ;)

just saw this thread....very cool rocket Captain!!!! I got to say thats good thinking about how to deal with the fin tabs, I might have to use that one day, I've so far not done much with clusters, bu t as my desire for bigger rockets increases I might have to explore clusters more ;)

I haven't done anything yet with high power clusters, just a few black powder. But the BP clusters were a lot of fun, so I imagine HP will be even more fun.

lunar_launch_050110_031.jpg

IMGP9532edit1.jpg

lunar_launch_050110_196.jpg

I don't have all the components yet, but I decided to get started on what I could. I'm using 1/4" birch plywood from Michael's for the fins. I cut out the "blanks" with the bandsaw, then as I do with most of my builds, I pinned them together with 1/4" dowels so I could cut and match sand them together.

01_fins.jpg

02_fins.jpg

03_fins.jpg

04_fins.jpg

05_fins.jpg

06_fins.jpg

07_fins.jpg

Back