Amazing story over on calguns

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rocket Kid

Reaction score
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=150941

This has to be one of if not the best thread I have ever read on any forum ever. I have been following this thread for over a year now and thought some people on here would find this interesting.
If you get a chance, read through the whole thing and specifically check out the attachment to the Marines diary I haven't finished it yet but it's pretty amazing.

Anyone wishing to painlessly support the CalGuns Foundation can do so by shopping Amazon.com via the www.shop42a.com affiliate.

'Equitare, arcum tendere, veritatem dicere.'
- Herodotus, 484-425 BC
'To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.'
- Jeff Cooper, 1920-2006 AD

Note my political incorrectness in using "BC" and "AD". I have a well-developed refutation to the hypocrisy of the BCE/CE some prefer.

This has to be one of if not the best thread I have ever read on any forum ever. I have been following this thread for over a year now and thought some people on here would find this interesting.
If you get a chance, read through the whole thing and specifically check out the attachment to the Marines diary I haven't finished it yet but it's pretty amazing.

That's awesome, I love to hear stories like that. As a fellow gun collector and shooter, it makes it so much more exciting, to put some real history behind a gun like that, let alone actually track down or hear from a relative of the previous owner or soldier, even if by chance ! Too bad there are so many ignorant people that could care less about freedom or the price some have paid for it, that would love nothing better than to destroy such a treasured piece of history, just because it is a firearm.

Thanks for sharing !

NRA Endowment
C/R 03 FFL/MD DES

Yep, that's an amazing story.

I think that if you have ever worn the uniform of the USMC, it is beyond amazing.

Greg

Yep, that's an amazing story.

I think that if you have ever worn the uniform of the USMC, it is beyond amazing.

Greg

I couldn't agree more the marines are a top notch group of Americans. I just can't get over the coincidence that as the owner of the 1917 ask for help finding info on his gun the daughter was also looking for things about her father and happened across the post.Truly amazing.

That's awesome, I love to hear stories like that. As a fellow gun collector and shooter, it makes it so much more exciting, to put some real history behind a gun like that, let alone actually track down or hear from a relative of the previous owner or soldier, even if by chance ! Too bad there are so many ignorant people that could care less about freedom or the price some have paid for it, that would love nothing better than to destroy such a treasured piece of history, just because it is a firearm.

Thanks for sharing !

NRA Endowment
C/R 03 FFL/MD DES

Hey no problem I thought it was to cool not to share.And the ignorance of shepeople today is astounding it's unbelievable how far we have strayed from the ideals this country was founded on. It bothers me even more how ungrateful those kind of people are I mean countless have died to protect their rights and they are content to throw them away for a free iPhone. **** just pisses me off!

This made my day:cool: It is great to hear stories like this, that brings attention to true Heroes. :) Thanks for posting and GOD Bless AMERICA

This made my day:cool: It is great to hear stories like this, that brings attention to true Heroes. :) Thanks for posting and GOD Bless AMERICA

Definitely and yes GOD bless America.

Lee Harvey Oswald was a marine.:facepalm:

Marksmanship is a Marine tradition.

hahaha ^ :rofl: that's funny but seriously I don't think pointing out he was a Marine was meaning full or really necessary.

Hey no problem I thought it was to cool not to share.And the ignorance of shepeople today is astounding it's unbelievable how far we have strayed from the ideals this country was founded on. It bothers me even more how ungrateful those kind of people are I mean countless have died to protect their rights and they are content to throw them away for a free iPhone. **** just pisses me off!

I know.

"We the Sheeple " seems to be the way of the world anymore. Are we any better off for it? I don't think so. Nice to know a few other people agree with me !

hahaha ^ :rofl: that's funny but seriously I don't think pointing out he was a Marine was meaning full or really necessary.

I did mean that to be funny and not to slight the military. I served in the Navy and I was constantly reminded that the Marines are a Department of the Navy . . . the Men's Department.

On a personal note, marines were always acrimonious towards swabbies and I was stopped at the base gate many times by the marine gate guards and had my car searched. This was back in the early to mid seventies, not today where you need to be searched. In those days, me and a couple of friends could travel all over Karachi, Pakistan and were in little danger; something Daniel Pearl obviously couldn't do years later. So, I take good natured swipes at jarheads on occasion, with no malice intended.

Back in the late 60's I narrowly avoided getting drafted into the Marines. Yes, drafted. At the Oakland induction center they were looking for Marines and I am mildly color blind in the blue-green spectrum which was exactly what they were looking for because jungle camouflage doesn't really work on people who depend on shape recognition rather than color. I am particularly good at spotting things in the woods.

Apparently the Marine quota was filled while I was struggling with the color blindness tests. Turns out I'm also a bit of red/orange color blind as well. It's called "deuteranomaly" and about 5 percent of the population has it.

The Army was pleased to have me tho.

I did mean that to be funny and not to slight the military. I served in the Navy and I was constantly reminded that the Marines are a Department of the Navy . . . the Men's Department.

On a personal note, marines were always acrimonious towards swabbies and I was stopped at the base gate many times by the marine gate guards and had my car searched. This was back in the early to mid seventies, not today where you need to be searched. In those days, me and a couple of friends could travel all over Karachi, Pakistan and were in little danger; something Daniel Pearl obviously couldn't do years later. So, I take good natured swipes at jarheads on occasion, with no malice intended.

My apologies a little good natured ribbing is always welcome! I'm just so used to people here in Kalifornia bashing the military, all branches included, I jump at anyone who is disrespectful as a habit.Thank you for your service it's truly appreciated!

You wanna aggravate them back? Just tell one, "Ah, yes... The Marines. They're the best army the Navy ever had."

;)

WOW! Just wow...

Awesome story, thank you for sharing.

Justin

Back