Estes PS II Kit Bashing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing to prevent tangling. Just get some laundry out to slow the decent and prevent a crash. You can try Poor Boy dual deploy. This is all done in front of our Pad Fuhrer who has his name in the record books for parachute duration, a real recovery Prima Dona. All he can do is watch my gruesome creations. The chutes really don’t get tangled that bad.

your creations are far from gruesome!! you you use swivels?

Nothing to prevent tangling. Just get some laundry out to slow the decent and prevent a crash. You can try Poor Boy dual deploy. This is all done in front of our Pad Fuhrer who has his name in the record books for parachute duration, a real recovery Prima Dona. All he can do is watch my gruesome creations. The chutes really don’t get tangled that bad.

Ok that answer 1/2 of the question...how about the vertical or horizontal descent?

As I have posted in my thread I plan to use 2 Estes Plasma Probes with 18mm motors along with the 29mm main engine.

I assume that with the "poor boy" (me) DD the boosters eject the chutes first to slow it down and the main later at lower altitude by using a longer delay than you would without the boosters huh?

No stinkin' swivels that just break. No fancy lanyards for horizontal decent, let the tangle of the chutes and catching of the shock cords determine that, leave it up to the rocket gods! Poppin' the pods or the main first on poor boy dual deploy doesn't make that much difference, just use the motors you have. On the Argent with the three boosters I popped the main first and then the boosters, that worked great on that flight and made the Pad Fuhrer laugh at the bad technique.

Last edited:
Daddy.....sorry I didn't see this earlier...this sucks! sorry to see these pictures! the Argent was a cool looking bird!

The Partizon Tomahawk flew again on Saturday. All went fine and it landed on the hard gravel parking lot and no fins popped off! Some of the kids went a bit crazy as it was coming down so we had to yell them off from any idea of trying to catch it. The last flight of the day was the Argent/Alpha and BANG! Another freaking E9 CATO - I got a real bad batch from Hobby Lobby. This time it was not good. Up went one booster nose cone and parachute followed by the wadding with a big bright orange ball of fire under it. On the bottom it blew the clip whip away and the central F-15 did not light. Going up on only two motors with 6 second delays I knew it was going to be bad, real bad. Lawn dart, then ejection into the green green grass of home. No fire. Good bye sweet Argent:sad:

View attachment 173703View attachment 173704View attachment 173705View attachment 173706View attachment 173707View attachment 173708

It was still a good day because the North Korean Unha 3 from Aggressor Aerospace flew great on an E12 4. Fins on rockets are over rated, Time for an F24! Good thing I hacked more of the balsa nose cone and crammed in more nose weight. More power will rule!

Me so happy! Weez puts up new satellite so fearwess weeder can watch NBA finals in Pyongyang!

No stinkin' swivels that just break. No fancy lanyards for horizontal decent, let the tangle of the chutes and catching of the shock cords determine that, leave it up to the rocket gods! Poppin' the pods or the main first on poor boy dual deploy; doesn't make that much difference, just use the motors you have. On the Argent with the three boosters I popped the main first and then the boosters, that worked great on that flight and made the Pad Fuhrer laugh at the bad technique.

OH..OK "Que Sera, Sera" it is then....I like your style.

Thanks
Ed

When I was just a little BAR
I asked my RSO
How will it fly
Will it be pretty
Will it be rich
Here's what he said to me

Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be

When I was just a little BAR
I asked my RSO
How will it fly
Will it be pretty
Will it be rich
Here's what he said to me

Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be

:rofl: Rock On Daddy "O" :headbang:

Thanks to Scott Pennington for the video of the Partizon Tomahawk flying at NARAM last week. Two E12 4s and an F15 4 got her going.

[video=youtube;gmYwzO-lOS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmYwzO-lOS8[/video]

The Tomahawk/Patizon just keeps on flying. I believe this was launch number five. Thanks to Matt for the awesome slow motion video from his fancy phone.

[video]https://docs.google.com/a/officecourt.com/file/d/0BxZ2SB8zMTaFLU5lN1EtZElTQXM/edit?pli=1[/video]

Update. The Argent was rebuilt and few again a few more times. On the last flight only two of the three E9's lit but it still flew fine. The Tomohawk/Partizan got beat up on landing when the main chute ice cream coned and failed to deploy, coming down on the two smaller chutes. The Ventris Titan eventually crashed hard into a fence on the top of a hill when the central motor failed to ignite, it is still sitting in the repair box. Why use silly clusters when a decent, single composite motor makes more sense?

Methinks you need to get into CTI... Get yourself an L1 then start clustering 29mm 4 & 5-grain mellow H's... Now that would be cool!

(Actually, now that I think about it, that might become a J-class flight if you're not careful...)

Methinks you need to get into CTI... Get yourself an L1 then start clustering 29mm 4 & 5-grain mellow H's... Now that would be cool!

(Actually, now that I think about it, that might become a J-class flight if you're not careful...)

That is the next step for sure! 29mm rockets, lots of CTI cases and motors will put anyone right up there with the top men. Those mellows are nice and I hear the CTI's with the BP pellets are a easy lightin'. Too bad these PSII's are not on sale like they were and OOP. Glue three Partisan's together and extend the center section for some real fun.

Back