I really hate Earthquakes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
I have lived in Southern California all my life, but man do I hate earthquakes. This one has been freaking me out! Alot of people say you get used to it, but me no likey. And this one we are only 5 miles away from the epicenter, so every little rumble is being felt. We were at Disneyland when the 5.1 hit, sitting in a theater watching Moments with Mr Lincoln. Right when the curtains moved back and he was getting ready to speak, BAM! When we finally got home, (they shut down all the rides and canceled the fireworks= mass exodus), there we pictures that had fallen all over the house, but nothing serious. But I have been feeling every aftershock it seems and my nerves are frazzled.

I was in L.A when the "Big One" hit in SF. That was quite the experience. Then the only other one I was in, I was in Japan and I don't remember where the epicenter was but I was on the 8th floor of a building and all of a sudden the building started swaying back and forth. That was creepy.

I always wanted a feel one, ok a small one but an earthquake none the less. I lived in San Diego for a couple of years and never felt one. They happened when I was there and people were talking about them but I didn't feel them. I was a little bummed about that when I moved away.

I'm sorry- I'll take the risk of an occasional earthquake over predictable tornadoes, blizzards, flooding and hailstorms any day of the week

I was always curious, and kinda wanted to know what it was like, but after having a 5.3, in Oklahoma, I can empathize to a lesser degree, with California. It is strange to hear them coming, then the shaking, and then hear them move on.

I'm sorry- I'll take the risk of an occasional earthquake over predictable tornadoes, blizzards, flooding and hailstorms any day of the week

Agreed.

I am about 100 miles South of the epicenter of these latest quakes and I haven't noticed/felt any of them.

I guess I just don't notice these 'little' ones. :wink:

We have them in Maine and Quebec every so often. I have felt two or three here in Maine in my life time, both were more curiosity then a concern.

Best one was my father screaming at me from down stairs "What the *&^%$ are you doing up there?" my reply "Sleeping until that earthquake!"

We have them in Maine and Quebec every so often. I have felt two or three here in Maine in my life time, both were more curiosity then a concern.

Best one was my father screaming at me from down stairs "What the *&^%$ are you doing up there?" my reply "Sleeping until that earthquake!"
Haha! My worst occurred while I was at work. I was lying down inside a KC-10 in the refueler's cockpit taking measurements for an electrical bus working upside down with a mirror. I feel the plane start to shimmy and of course, my first reaction is "Let's mess with Dave's measurements" so I yelled out "Hey knock that $#!T off-D^##m!#!" Then I heard the guys on the fuselage back by the top engine come pounding down the scaffolding alongside the aircraft hitting about every sixth step and exiting the hangar door with much haste and boot-scootin'. I crawled out and found out with the swinging pipes and acres of glass hanging over me I was safer inside. We all had a good laff at Dave and I just had to try to see if it could be done. I put my shoulder against the plane and pushed as hard as I could. Several times. Couldn't budge it an inch!

Last edited:
Agreed.

I am about 100 miles South of the epicenter of these latest quakes and I haven't noticed/felt any of them.

I guess I just don't notice these 'little' ones. :wink:

Believe me, it makes a big difference when it is right by your house........

At least with an earthquake, all your stuff is in one big pile!

I remember being in high school when the 1987 Whittier quake hit. Was in my car and thought I had a tire blow-out! When I got to school they had us all go out to the fields.. glass broken and structural damage to a lot of buildings. We were in the next town over. I remember kind of laughing at a buddy of mine. He had just moved to California a few months earlier... tough kid from Long Island, NY... he was freaking out. Almost in tears telling everybody he wanted to go back home, to NY!

Bad quakes are far and few between as they say. Tornadoes, hurricanes and such are all the time.. every year and very deadly.. you can keep those!

Jerome

Move to Oklahoma and you can have ALL of the above! Am I correct Mike? Except for the Hurricanes that were mentioned.

Move to Oklahoma and you can have ALL of the above! Am I correct Mike? Except for the Hurricanes that were mentioned.

Pretty much, what we have not had to deal with, along with the Hurricanes, are mudslides as well, but we can add the brush fires to it.

I feel it is not much different wherever you live, you will get use to it.

You should be checking and don't play your music so loud lest you miss the tsunami siren. That's a real double-threat aye Shrox.

We had our city tsunami drill just this week. There were sirens and airplanes with loudspeakers as well as snacks!

I have never felt one. I will say it is sort of liking hating hurricanes and living on the ocean front or being from Kansas and hating Tornadoes. I would recommend another place to live.

I dislike the cold so I moved south.

Yup. I was so close to this one that there was virtually no time between the P and S wave. Very violent movement when you are near the epicenter and when it is shallow. Stuff flew off of many shelves and dresser tops upstairs. Luckily I have mostly plastic cups in the cabinets in the kitchen as many flew out. Actually they stayed put as the house jerked several feet back and forth. Only a couple of items broke.

Mother in law is a few miles away on top of a hill in Diamond Bar and had far more stuff fly off shelves and walls.

This was similar but shorter than the Whittier Narrows quake and I was on top of that one on the top floor of the Northrop plant. Cad tubes flashed and then the building dipped and twisted as the lights went out and we were violently shaken up and down and side to side. Every single person in that building said that they thought it was The Big One and they were going to die. But there was only a fraction of a second between the P and S wave so I told them as we evacuated that it must have been very close to us.

If you have been in earthquakes at a distance you have NO idea what the motion is like near the epicenter.

And the 8.1 ground motion will be 1000 times a 5.1 (unless they changed from ground motion to emergy released ... Need to go look that up again tomorrow.. ).

A few years ago we had a rash of over 1000 small earthquakes in a month. Only a couple of decent sized (3.1-5.1) during that time. I was doing my degree at the time, and couldn't sleep at all. Every 5 to 15 minutes we would have a little shake. After a few days I was just waiting for the big one. It sucked badly.
I sympathize with you guys that are shaking down in Socal. Be safe.

I've lived in Huntington Beach for a year and felt several minor quakes or shakes at various times. I never got used to them, and found I felt them more frequently than many of the regulars or locals. As we were discussing whether to move back to the midwest to follow my wife's graduate studies, we had a little shake. I was home for lunch, and she was bent over the kitchen sink when she says "It bucked me!" We sat on the couch eating and I said, so what do you think, should we go? The earth shook again with the same strength at that moment, and we concluded it was a sign. So, we gave noticed and moved about a month later. That was August 1989. About two months later, in October 1989, I was driving in the rain in SE Ohio when I heard the quake in Candlestick Park had stopped the game. My first thought was, "I beat the odds... we got out in time...."

For those who want to know what one feels like, you know that startled feeling you get when you're dropping off to sleep, and you jerk so badly that you wake yourself up? That's sorta like it. But I would say when you lean back in the Lazy Boy chair and are relaxing, and then someone walks by and bumps your chair, and you think for a second that you're going to go over backwards... that's more what its like...you loose your stability and center of balance for a moment.

When we were in Hawaii October 2006, a 7.1 struck ten miles away, and that shaking was different in P waves, S waves and T waves...all had a different feel of shake, roll or direction of shake to them...and the whole thing lasted 45 seconds. Then, 7 minutes later, a weaker one struck for about a half a minute as well. That was the biggest I've been through. Our hotel room looked like a mess, but we straighted it up without problem. Thank goodness the TV was bolted down. The ash trays and ironing board fell down and most of the grout in the bathtub shower fell out into the tub. One lamp fell over and ripped the shade, but otherwise, it was just cosmetic. Thank goodness. That was the wildest ride outside of Disneyland that I had ever had...but now I remember it as the high point of our week's vacation!

I had just dropped off two co-workers at the BART station in downtown Oakland about 20 minutes before the quake in 1989 hit. I was undecided as to which way to go home, either past Berkeley and on North which would have taken me along the section of freeway that collapsed, or east through the Caldicott Tunnel and then North. I chose the tunnel and just as I came out the far side of the tunnel, the quake hit, the back tires of my pickup swayed side to side and all the cars on the freeway pulled to the side of the road. I kept driving and didn't even consider it was an earthquake until the World Series broadcast I had been listening to came back on the air and announced the earthquake.

We felt the 5.1 all the way up here in Cal City. What's unusual about that series of quakes is how shallow they were, as close to the surface as .6 kilometers. Most earthquakes are far deeper than that.

Speaking as a non-native I really DO NOT LIKE earthquakes. I'd rather deal with the heat, humidity, hurricanes, tornadoes and violent thunderstorms of my native SE Texas.

Yes. Deep earthquakes can be huge and still not cause much damage on the surface (like the HUGE "phase change" earthquakes that create those interesting minerals many, many miles deep). Shallow earthquakes can be "moderate" and cause massive ground movement on the surface because they are occuring practically at the surface. And for both of these I am referring to the types that actually do not rupture a surface fault.

Then there are the huge strike/slip earthquakes that occur at some depth but they rip the surface as one plate moves laterally across the boundary of the other (and there is also usually some vertical movement as well - like 20 to 50 feet horizontal and 2 to 5 feet vertical).

And the worst are the subduction quakes where one plate is diving under another and gets stuck and finally lets loose. These generate thos quakes in the high 8's well into the mid to high 9's, like the Indonesian and Japanese quakes which generated the tsunamis and the quakes off the coast of Chile and the upcoming devastating Pacific northwest quake in the Cascadia Subduction zone that will destroy Seattle and many other cities and towns throughout the northwest (plus the Tsunami....). It is going to happen, it is just a question of "when?" and it is overdue....

ftp://ftp.gps.caltech.edu/pub/shjwei/OkhotskSea/Kirby_1991_Science.pdf

https://geology.about.com/od/earthquakes/a/aa_deeEQs.htm

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/glossary/?termID=194

We felt the 5.1 all the way up here in Cal City. What's unusual about that series of quakes is how shallow they were, as close to the surface as .6 kilometers. Most earthquakes are far deeper than that.

Speaking as a non-native I really DO NOT LIKE earthquakes. I'd rather deal with the heat, humidity, hurricanes, tornadoes and violent thunderstorms of my native SE Texas.

Last edited:
Back