Demon & Dopey 2.0... REVAMPED!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. The 2 failures in the flight were a thrust ring failure and too low of an altitude for arming the booster.

I am fixing these failures in the following ways.

1. Thrust ring failure. I will be ditching the motor adapter and instead using a 38mm motor.
2. The booster will have a bigger motor in it (after ensuring stability), which should put the booster up to about 700-800 feet before staging. This will ensure proper altitude. I will also be double and triple checking arming altitude before the flight.

Also it looks like your fins are the same size. I would suggest you scale the booster fins up by about 1/2" which will increase your stability. As for Arming altitude most altimeters can have this reprogrammed. You could do 38mm to 38mm just fine. Also are you using a shunt for the sustainer motor?!?!

Stability was not an issue whatsoever. The issue was that the motor kicked through the rocket.

I am building it for a 54 so I can fly some EX motors.

The arming altitude on my Adept22 was 300 ft. The booster only reached 250. This was not programmable. On my RRC2+, it arms at 200 feet and I am using a bigger motor.

No need for a shunt. I do not put the igniter in the motor until the booster is on the pad and armed, and the sustainer is being placed on the pad.

No need for a shunt. I do not put the igniter in the motor until the booster is on the pad and armed, and the sustainer is being placed on the pad.

...........No comment..............

I think this is a really neat project. I like the long "sounding rocket" appearance of the booster. One thing that I think would be a hoot, would be to have a key fob camera on the booster, pointed up, so one could see the staging. And maybe one on the sustainer, too, pointed in the usual (down) direction...

This lives!!!

Openrocket file down below shows what I am building.

Centering rings.jpg

Centering rings and fins for sustainer have been cut, and are awaiting sanding to final shape.

This rocket will be getting a full fiberglass wrap, 54mm motor mounts in booster and sustainer, T2T carbon on fins, and the interstage coupler will have 3 layers of glass on the inside.

This thing will be bulletproof. :p

Attachments

• DemonDopey2.0.ork
    4.1 KB · Views: 47
This rocket will be getting a full fiberglass wrap, 54mm motor mounts in booster and sustainer, T2T carbon on fins, and the interstage coupler will have 3 layers of glass on the inside.

This thing will be bulletproof.

Why just why?...... :p :rofl:

i cut and beveled the fins tonight. they look pretty good if I may say so myself. these were freehanded with a dremel.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 73
I cut all of the tubes yesterday.

Layout of all parts. I still have to cut the booster fins and rings.
dd1.jpg

Then some general fits to get a feel for size.

dd3.jpg

This is what full stack is. :) 109 inches of IRRRRRRESISTABLE! TUUUUUBULAR!!! ROCKET!!! :p (Credits to whoever gets the reference).
dd2.jpg

I am probably pulling a record for slowest build thread ever, but who cares. :p

Altimeter bays have been designed and I will start to cut all of the stuff out when the robotics lab reopens.

Interstage Altim bay.PNG

I don't know, my X-Ray XL took me over a year and a half. And I started Bluto in 2012, and he's not even halfway yet. I think you're plugging along just fine.

This didn't completely die..... :)

[video=youtube;lP-_9lUa2Nc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP-_9lUa2Nc[/video]

Back