Why Two Gs Estes???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
On the "Full One-Year Warranty" Paper that comes with Estes Kits, why does it bother to list "Two Gs" in the "Launch Site Dimensions"????
Estes does'nt make a 2 G Motor Rocket, and a 2 G Motor Rocket would constitute a "High Power Rocket" anyhow, so why even make mention of what they believe would be a large enough Launch Site?:confused2:

Any thoughts???

By saying "H," They'd be admitting high-power exists? I don't know.

Later!

--Coop

A cluster of two G's is the largest thing you can fly before being considered high power.

Yes so you can use 2 Gs as long as it is under 125 grams of propellant or under 320N of thrust and weighing less then 1500 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I see a Double 29mm Cluster Build in my Future. 2 G79 Single Use Motors only comes up to 120.2Grams of Propellant.

The Initial Mass of the G79-8 is 124 Grams., so times two is 248 Grams. That leaves 1252 Grams to make a Rocket.

Last edited:
On the "Full One-Year Warranty" Paper that comes with Estes Kits, why does it bother to list "Two Gs" in the "Launch Site Dimensions"????
Estes does'nt make a 2 G Motor Rocket, and a 2 G Motor Rocket would constitute a "High Power Rocket" anyhow, so why even make mention of what they believe would be a large enough Launch Site?:confused2:

Any thoughts???

The basic answer is that the Launch Site Dimensions table is part of the NAR Safety Code, which is printed on another page of that pamphlet. It is applicable to any legal model rocket, of which an Estes kit is one.

Estes included that pamphlet even when they did not sell either an F or a G motor.

A two-G rocket is indeed a legal model rocket, as long as the total propellant at liftoff is < 125 grams, which would allow up to 250NS of power with current propellants.

See this chart https://www.doug79.com/stuff/HPR_metric9c.pdf to see what is a model rocket and what is high power.

Last edited:
The basic answer is that the Launch Site Dimensions table is part of the NAR Safety Code, which is printed on another page of that pamphlet. It is applicable to any legal model rocket, of which an Estes kit is one.

Estes included that pamphlet even when they did not sell either an F or a G motor.

Yeah, that part is obvious. I was not disputing the Reason for the listing of the Dimensions.
Re-read my original Post. You obviously misinterpreted it.

Yeah, that part is obvious. I was not disputing the Reason for the listing of the Dimensions.
Re-read my original Post. You obviously misinterpreted it.

No, I didn't misinterpret it at all. You asked why Estes included it even though they didn't have a rocket kit that big or that used two G motors. And I told you why.... because they printed the complete NAR Safety Code, not just the points of the safety code that covers the products Estes sells. I then pointed out your mis-assumption that a 2-G rocket is not a model rocket, and told you where you could find a nice visualization of what constituted a model rocket vs. a high power rocket.

No, I didn't misinterpret it at all. You asked why Estes included it even though they didn't have a rocket kit that big or that used two G motors. And I told you why.... because they printed the complete NAR Safety Code, not just the points of the safety code that covers the products Estes sells. I then pointed out your mis-assumption that a 2-G rocket is not a model rocket, and told you where you could find a nice visualization of what constituted a model rocket vs. a high power rocket.

Ok, fair enough. My bad.

I try not to think of costs when building, but in this case it's too glaring to ignore - a pair of G80T's runs 40-60. a pair of G76G's runs about $20. 29 40/120 cases pay for themselves VERY quickly in clusters.

Latest posts

Back