METRA First launch of 2014! April 5th and 6th

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick2b

Reaction score
METRA will be back in flight with our first launch taking place on April 5th and 6th. For all launches, please follow the directions to the storage container and then proceed via the directional signs you will find there. All launches will be governed by Tripoli Rocketry Association Research Rules. NAR members may fly commercial motors up to their certification level at these launches. The FAA waiver for our field is 4500’ AGL Please go to metrarocketclub.org to renew your membership for 2014. We do have a PayPal option to renew memberships.

Vendors committed to attending the launches are:
AMW-ProX
Wildman CT
Nadine’s will be our food and beverage vendor at launches.

Please support those who keep us full and flying.

Looking forward to this. Winter builds and winter mixes in the air, then off to the Warwick Drive In for some Winter Soldier

Really looking forward to this! I hope to get a maiden flight in on the 54mm minimum diameter build I am just finishing up. Great rockets, great people, and a great field make METRA a winner of a club! :)

Jim Z

I won't be able to make the first launch, that's the wife's birthday weekend. I am greatly looking forward to the next one though!

I hopes to fly my Sith Happens on a 4 Grain 54mm Wicked White and my AGM Pike on a 4 grain 38mm Purple Nebula.

What are others planning on flying this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I really want to make it to this launch but not sure if I will be able to. Have some other matters to take care of, but if I can make some free time I will try to get there.

The Purple Nebula is a EX formula. This was a 2 grain 75mm from the same batch ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1396349863.342038.jpg

Mickey, I think he was asking how you came about the formula as Al used to have Dennis mix a bunch of motors for him and probably wants to fly more purple now that Dennis has moved on to other things.

Al-all of Dennis's old formulas are in a spreadsheet, I have it in my email somewhere from 2008 or so. They're all pretty simple 81% solids range, low metals except for the white of course. I haven't mixed Purple Nebula in years (since the O back in 2011), but IIRC it's 16:1 SrN03:CuO, 3% Mag @ 81 solids.

Just ditch the colored stuff and bump up the solids to about 85, ditch the Mag for some aluminum and start flying real motors :)

S

My mixing mentors with METRA have the formula. I've done about 5 mix sessions with Randy and one with Rick. They have the collections and make sure I am understanding the process do's and dont's . I'll get a little further out on the island one of these days to mix with Andy Cook. So far, great experience and great motors.

Steve,

Dennis sounds like he's coming back.
He e-mailed me about which altimeters to buy; to replace his ARTS2's .

JD

Mickey, I think he was asking how you came about the formula as Al used to have Dennis mix a bunch of motors for him and probably wants to fly more purple now that Dennis has moved on to other things.

Al-all of Dennis's old formulas are in a spreadsheet, I have it in my email somewhere from 2008 or so. They're all pretty simple 81% solids range, low metals except for the white of course. I haven't mixed Purple Nebula in years (since the O back in 2011), but IIRC it's 16:1 SrN03:CuO, 3% Mag @ 81 solids.

Just ditch the colored stuff and bump up the solids to about 85, ditch the Mag for some aluminum and start flying real motors :)

S

Steve,

Dennis sounds like he's coming back.
He e-mailed me about which altimeters to buy; to replace his ARTS2's .

JD

Wonder what he wants to do with the ARTS2's!

Dennis has a treasure trove of nice old FG kits.

Not sure if he has them still or not.
He wasn't clear on it, just wanted to get something that is currently available.
I had many flights on mine until it failed at LDRS 28.

The next unit (bought at the same time as the first) had a memory issue.
I don't know if the specs changed or what?
I have been unable to get it to work on 1 battery after those 2 units.

Looks like I'll be able to make it to RG at least on Sun.

JD

Wonder what he wants to do with the ARTS2's!

Dennis has a treasure trove of nice old FG kits.

Yeah I was just wondering where the PN came from. I think it is a nice lower performance blue. I fly White/red./blue almost exclusively

Now If I could lay may hands on the formula for Blue Diablo, that would be fun...I wonder if Gonsalves is still mixing.

Weather is looking good for Saturday into Sunday afternoon. Help with setup is always needed and appreciated. People are meeting by the storage container at 9:00 am Saturday, the faster the setup, the sooner we are in the air.

Man I can't wait for this launch...........
It's been a long,, cold winter.........
What a great club,,, great guys,,, great field............

Just hangin at the field...........................

Teddy

Wildman CT is locked and loaded for the first METRA of the year....can't wait!

Now, what to fly....

Paid my club dues for the 2014 season............. Check
Sent in my paid dues receipt........................... Check
Sent in my signed METRA waiver form.............. Check
Downloaded METRA Flight card........................ Check
Filled out flight card and printed it.................... Check
J 275 W assembled for Green Hornet flight........ Check
H 165 R assembled for Hyper Velocity flight...... Check
All batteries charged...................................... Check
Practicing for Mickey,,,,,,,,,
Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants....... Check

OK,,,
I think I'm ready to go.................

Teddy

I'll finish prepping my AV bay's tonight. Fly tomorrow, take the family to the drive inn over in Warwick for Captain America. Then fly a little on Sunday morning. Should be a great weekend

Will know tomorrow but the go for the weekend call has been made. Go to the storage container where we usually set up and then follow the signs back. Once you see the porta potty you know you have found us

Will know tomorrow but the go for the weekend call has been made. Go to the storage container where we usually set up and then follow the signs back. Once you see the porta potty you know you have found us

Kind of a strange item to be such an important landmark...............

No ????????????

How bout a sign instead...................

Teddy

Look for signs as well

Here's my only flight today.
It's a 3 grain 54 mm a new sparky propellant dubbed: Nite Fall.

I haven't gotten a change to reconnect the battery and read the altitude report.

Battery was disconnected some time after main deployment.

4squaredJ396.jpg

JD

A great day to fly today!
Literally no wind, no clouds, all sun, and temps in the 60's!

I flew 3 more with perfect results, all on research motors.

Pics to follow....

JD

Back