Upscale Deuce/Tres motor retention, also min diameter 29mm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfcook

Mayhem Rocketry, LLC
Reaction score
I know you're out there, I've seen the pictures. What kind of motor retention are you guys using on your upscale deuce/tres motors that, hopefully, doesn't look too silly or bulky?

What is typical for a 29mm minimum-diameter rocket?

I see the slimline retainers, but I can't tell what their OD is.

54 mm and down - snug (not tight) friction fit and tape over the MMT/motor joint. 98 mm - slit motor tube and hose clamp. These rockets have a bulkhead above the MMT so the fit only has to retain the cases against any jerks when recovery deploys.
Deuce motors.JPGDeuce98 99a.jpg

Cut some strips from a 1/16" aluminum sheet then bent to fit and anchored to threaded inserts. This rocket uses 38mm MM's and it looks like I'm on the bulkier side compared to the others but its not very heavy.

kkmm.JPG

DSCN0599.jpg

Last edited:
Cut some strips from a 1/16" aluminum sheet then bent to fit and anchored to threaded inserts. This rocket uses 38mm MM's and it looks like I'm on the bulkier side compared to the others but its not very heavy.

DING!DING!DING! We have a winner!

Thanks, that's the solution I arrived at this afternoon and I'm glad I'm not out to lunch. It's simple and even lighter than the commercial conventional retainers, and this rocket needs all the help it can get reducing weight aft.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back