telemetrum help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like I said, every combination of every suggestion I've seen. Laying down select monitor idle, laying down select monitor idle far away, standing up select monitor flight, standing up selecting monitor flight far away, laying down and scanning channels, laying down scan channels far away, standing up and selecting scan channels, etc, etc, etc. I've also switched antennas on all the devices and tried the combinations that again thinking perhaps I had a bad antenna. But unless I have 4 bad antennas, that isn't it, and the Yaesu does pick up a signal from the telemetrum.

That sounds extremely frustrating.

Like I said, every combination of every suggestion I've seen. Laying down select monitor idle, laying down select monitor idle far away, standing up select monitor flight, standing up selecting monitor flight far away, laying down and scanning channels, laying down scan channels far away, standing up and selecting scan channels, etc, etc, etc. I've also switched antennas on all the devices and tried the combinations that again thinking perhaps I had a bad antenna. But unless I have 4 bad antennas, that isn't it, and the Yaesu does pick up a signal from the telemetrum.

I have the same problem, my Yeasu receive the signal but no data transmit to the teleBT, I return it for RMA . Before I return it, I ordered another set ( Telemetrum + receiver ) , and this second work fine. I wait for news from Bdale.

Last edited:

Do you happen to have a friend nearby who has a TeleMetrum, where you could get together and try swapping bits?

If I were in your area, I'd be more than happy to help you out; however, unless you want to ship your parts to me, I can't do you much good, in that regard.

-Kevin

Do you happen to have a friend nearby who has a TeleMetrum, where you could get together and try swapping bits?

If I were in your area, I'd be more than happy to help you out; however, unless you want to ship your parts to me, I can't do you much good, in that regard.

-Kevin

I do not. I appreciate your willingness to help.

While we do test all of our devices before we ship, it's always possible that something bad has happened since then. It sounds like you've tried everything I can think of. If you'd like us to take a look at your boards and figure out what's going on, please let us know so that we can arrange to have you ship everything back to us for a checkout and repair if necessary.

While we do test all of our devices before we ship, it's always possible that something bad has happened since then. It sounds like you've tried everything I can think of. If you'd like us to take a look at your boards and figure out what's going on, please let us know so that we can arrange to have you ship everything back to us for a checkout and repair if necessary.

Keith - I would like to have you take a look at it. Please let me know where to send it ASAP

I receive news from Bdale, since I don't use the good antenna the first time, I mess up with calibration and was off 100 mhz. This bad experience make me learn a lot of thing about radio signal and I also learn that not only Altus Metrum has top notch products, they stand for it and give good customer service.

I have a Telemega and have been trying unsuccessfully to get it to work with a Teledongle. It does work with a TeleBt with Bluetooth and Android. So it looks like the unit radio works, the antenna works (using a 5 element Yagi) but can't get anything on the Windows 7 based interface although the dongle looks like it is receiving. Can't connect in either idle or pad mode.

Jonathan DuBose

can't get anything on the Windows 7 based interface although the dongle looks like it is receiving.

Did you disable driver signing checks when installing the software? What does the computer say when you plug the TeleDongle in? It should load the driver and make it ready for use.

You can plug the TeleBT into the windows machine and test that as well; it works just like TeleDongle when plugged in like that. If that works, then you simply have a busted TeleDongle.

Keith,

I don't remember disabling anything when installing the software so perhaps that is the problem with the Teledongle.

However, I plugged in the TeleBT with the USB cable and my PC went and found the driver and things seem to be working as expected.

A couple of other questions:

1) Do pyro channels A,B,C,D need the extra battery or will they work well with just the single battery. I plan to fly the Telemega in a two stage config and will probably use only pyro A (with main and apogee).

2) Per a previous email outside of this forum, you mentioned a new release that would enable visibility of pyros A,B,C,D through telemetry. Any expected release date?

Thanks for your help. I am really falling for this system!

Jonathan DuBose
TRA 11505 / NAR 80588 Level 3
AEROPAC

I don't remember disabling anything when installing the software so perhaps that is the problem with the Teledongle.

Could be. You probably need to 'uninstall' the driver for the TeleDongle and then try plugging it back in? Windows is a mystery to me.

However, I plugged in the TeleBT with the USB cable and my PC went and found the driver and things seem to be working as expected.

Sounds like you've got the driver working. For Windows, that's most of the trouble.

1) Do pyro channels A,B,C,D need the extra battery or will they work well with just the single battery. I plan to fly the Telemega in a two stage config and will probably use only pyro A (with main and apogee).

They should all work fine with a single battery; there's no difference in the hardware between the pyro channels. Of course, you'll want to ground test all of them. We offer an external battery connection in case you need higher voltage or have other reasons to use a separate pyro battery, but for normal ematches, that shouldn't be a concern.

2) Per a previous email outside of this forum, you mentioned a new release that would enable visibility of pyros A,B,C,D through telemetry. Any expected release date?

We've got some new hardware coming up in another couple of weeks, so we'll be doing another release at that point. That will include these new features.

Thanks for your help. I am really falling for this system!

Thanks for your support!

I plan to fly the Telemega at Dairyaire (TRA Central California) in a two stage configuration the 3rd weekend of May. Those new features would be helpful.

I plan to fly the Telemega at Dairyaire (TRA Central California) in a two stage configuration the 3rd weekend of May. Those new features would be helpful.

If we haven't announced the new release officially by then, feel free to poke us for a release candidate when it gets close to time.

Keith, Bdale,

Okay, here is the poke for the release candidate. I tried emailing each of you but not sure it got through. How can we do this?

Okay, here is the poke for the release candidate. I tried emailing each of you but not sure it got through. How can we do this?

Afraid I've been busy here in Utah at the USLI event this week (it's rockets, and there are students involved, so it's all good :). I'll get something packaged up tomorrow morning after I do a few touch tests to make sure the basic functions work and send you some email.

Could you explain what you did that caused this mis-calibration?

It's pretty easy to mess it up by changing the value in the RF Calibration field in the Configure Altimeter dialog. I should probably put up a warning when you try to change that.

It's pretty easy to mess it up by changing the value in the RF Calibration field in the Configure Altimeter dialog. I should probably put up a warning when you try to change that.

Yes,.. I knew better than to mess with that. What I didn't understand from the OP was when he said that because he didn't use "the good antenna the first time" that the calibration had been misaligned. That didn't make sense to me.

Waiting patiently (maybe not so patiently, ha!) for the release of the TeleGps !!!! The TG will go in the NC of a rocket planned to hit 18,000' in June. Sure would be nice if I could load up that 1/4 x 20 bolt running through the nc as the antenna... maybe a mini gamma match??

Last edited:
Waiting patiently (maybe not so patiently, ha!) for the release of the TeleGps !!!! The TG will go in the NC of a rocket planned to hit 18,000' in June. Sure would be nice if I could load up that 1/4 x 20 bolt running through the nc as the antenna... maybe a mini gamma match??

Keith showed off a TeleGPS prototype to a few of us at SLI. He was promptly pestered (by me) about when it would become available. :)

He also showed me a new USB dongle for the MicroPeak -- I have the original style, which is a board which is a bit tricky to line up the LED with the photosensor. The new one is the size of a small flash drive, with a hole you drop the LED into. Quick and easy!

-Kevin

He also showed me a new USB dongle for the MicroPeak -- I have the original style, which is a board which is a bit tricky to line up the LED with the photosensor. The new one is the size of a small flash drive, with a hole you drop the LED into. Quick and easy!

-Kevin

I can say that the new version of the MicroPeak USB interface works beautifully..... :D

From last weekend's BMR launch....

MP_interface.JPG

I can say that the new version of the MicroPeak USB interface works beautifully..... :D

From last weekend's BMR launch....

Yep, that's the one! Talk about easy to use....

-Kevin

The question is whether you like the one we're currently selling in a box with a cable https://altusmetrum.org/MicroPeakUSB/ better than the prototype that looks like a USB flash drive. I like tiny devices, but they do tend to get lost more easily...

I like the no cable approach, myself.

To keep from losing it, I just keep it in the bag.

-Kevin

I don't have any issues connecting to the flight computer remotely but I don't see it when I do a direct connect to the computer with a cable. I'm sure I'm not doing something correctly, can someone detail the steps I should be taking?

Thanks,

Andrew Grippo

Thanks John,

I'm having an issue opening the file titled "Quickstart.md" which I'm unfamiliar with so I downloaded a program called Mayura but that program is showing an error message when trying to open the file. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andrew

I don't have any issues connecting to the flight computer remotely but I don't see it when I do a direct connect to the computer with a cable. I'm sure I'm not doing something correctly, can someone detail the steps I should be taking?

So, you've got TeleDongle working with the computer but TeleMetrum doesn't? If you haven't updated to AltOS 1.4.1, then the lack of a driver signature can cause problems if you plug devices in while driver signature checking is enabled. Other than that, if TeleDongle works, then TeleMetrum should as well. You also might try a Linux or Mac OSX box to see if the device works on one of those.

John,

Sorry, posted too soon earlier, I was able to open the file with Word.

I appreciate the quick start guide but unfortunately I had already done exactly as you had written. The two batteries I have charge just fine with two different cables but I am still unable to see the altimeter in the selection screen. This is my second TeleMetrum and I never had any issues with the first one.

Thanks,

Andrew

Back