FLIGHTS PLANNED FOR NYPOWER 2014 GENESEO NEW YORK MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOM C

Reaction score
The "Funnel Cone" will fly again at NYPOWER this Memorial Day Weekend. Fiberglassed sonotube, plywood fins and a funnel for a nosecone.
Pad weight 142 pounds, 12' tall it will reach 1500' on a 75mm CTI M3700.

Design inspired by John Coker's OTRAG https://www.jcrocket.com/otrag.shtml

www.MARSCLUB.org for launch info.

_DSC1842.JPG

_DSC1844.JPG

_DSC1891.JPG

_DSC1931.JPG

Last edited:
Ultimate Wildman M2075 Smokey sam, the rocket's 12th & a repeat of my level 3 certPre flight.JPGTake off.JPGunder drogue.JPGunder main.JPG

Attachments

• Touchdown.JPG
    Touchdown.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 79
"THE HONEST JOAN" is prepped and ready to fly at NYPOWER 2014.
Homemade fiberglassed 10" sonotube with 1/2" TTW plywood fins including tube fin attachments and a fiberglass HOJO cone.
It will fly standard dual deploy with drouge at apogee, main and cone chutes at 900'.

Pad weight 107 pounds going up on a CTI M3700 to 2400'
Rocketman and Skyangle chutes

NYPOWER launch is at the MARS club field in Geneseo N.Y.
The 20' launch tower is 500' from the flight line allowing single motor "M" flights you can see the motors ignite and watch the takeoffs

www.MARSCLUB.org for NYPOWER info

Tom C.

2012-06-16 009.jpg

2012-09-08 005.jpg

DSC_0373.JPG

2012-09-09 003.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking I will have to launch my little Independence sometime during NYPOWER. Of course with tree days I'll have to choose which one. Hummm...
Independence is 8 inches in diameter and is fiberglassed sonotube. It uses a 98mm motor mount and has two altimeters. MARSA54 (awesome) and a HiAlt 45 from Perfect Flite.
Also on-board is a BigRedBee rf tracker. The rocket will deploy a 5 foot drogue at apogee and a homemade 16 foot chute at 100 feet. If I decide on the M3100, then it should hit 8,000 feet.

New Independence.jpg

16.jpg

Last edited:
I will be flying KILL BILL. This flight will have up to 7 altimeter events which will include the 5 point palm exploding deployment charge technique taught to me by Pai Mei. It is constructed with a Crazy88 motor but will fly with a 75mm of some type to be decided later. I am leaning towards a red motor in keeping with the theme of the rocket.kill-bill-crop.jpg

better make sure they will let you fly that cluster before you make plans....

{Moderator Edit: We fly at the site of an aircraft museum with planes on the grounds so the club must limit flights that can have an unpredictable horizontal flight. } Only low power clusters and staging are allowed unfortunately.

I don't have anything particularly spectacular planned. Maybe an H410 in the Lil Goblin or go for my personal alt record with my weasel-type-thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not flying anything big. I'll have my LOC Expediter along, and if I build a 54mm to 38mm adapter I'll fly that. It's meant to be my L2 rocket, but I want to learn electronics with dual deploy before I go for my cert flight. I also have the Lil-Diter downscale, plus several others that are mid power. Been building all winter!
PTommy

I guess I let out some big secret that needed to be censored. Otherwise I don't see how it was any worse than the panty comment. Frankly I'm offended at my words being casually changed without any notice.

Flying my 6" THOR on a CTI M1830CS

f463a8b0-5215-41b1-8b96-da87db78778f_zps72c83120.jpg

843e624c-f14b-4c2e-af1a-6bcd03ea46f3_zps0924b523.jpg

Very cool Gary, whats the weight and expected altitude of this flight?

Very nice to have you once again attending MARS NYPOWER.
Your builds and flights are always a welcome addition to the event and I appreciate having a respected seasoned flier joing us in Geneseo.
Our BFR members will be happy to assist in getting you to the pad...off to a good launch and help with recovery.
We always enjoy and learn from your participation.

Tom C.

Tom,
Thanks so much for the kind words, I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'll be arriving on the field Friday at around 3-4:00, see you then.

Here's another one of my planned flights for NYPOWER 18, The STINGER 6. This is another kit I designed and is for sale through Rocketry Warehouse.

Pictured below its flying on a CTI L910CS to 4414', for NYP it'll be going up on a CTI L995RL to 5450'

STINGER6L910CS_zpsa85507bc.jpg

Gary T.

Would you give some details about your recovery deployment plans for the 2 flights.
See you in Geneseo.

Tom C.

Gary,

Asked about your recovery plans to share your deploymant techniques with those attending NYPOWER.
At Geneseo we see only a few L-M dual deploy high altitude flights, so how your recovery systems are set up is educational to us...especially if we are aware pre-flight.

BFR info submitted by the MARS web site form is not seen by the membership. We don't have a "featured projects" web page.
Thanks.

Tom C.

Tom,
No Problem, I thought maybe my BFR submission didnt go through. Glad you asked on the Stinger as its pretty cool how I did the DD.

I basically did the same thing in my upscale MR-1 the MR64 and close to it in my GIZMO XL. The Av-bay is in the NC coupler, Shear pins hold the coupler into the NC & BT. I was concerned with one, the drogue charge jamming the coupler in the NC and two, the thrust breaking the shear pins and having the coupler slide down into the BT, I'm flying a 98mm CTI K4000VM at Red Glare so yes this could happen. Both issues I solved by using a 1" band of coupler in the NC and a 1" band in the BT.

I use a quick disconnect so I don't need a switch band on the coupler itself. Vent holes are positioned as far down the BT as possible, my Av-bay also uses push button switches so it can be turned on right through the vent hole or a separate smaller hole. No the positioning of the holes won't cause your altimeter to be spoofed, I've done a many times with no trouble. For barometric units I use a 4 second delay just to be sure.

For the NC coupler I used your standard Av-Bay bulk plates, because I'm using my 4" Av-Bay I cut the holes in the bulk plates to match it in size. I used the all threads only cause it was easier when putting it together.
s1.jpg

As I said I use quick disconnects on my Av-Bays so alls I have to do is insert the bay in one end, connect the quick disconnect and screw on the wing nuts.
s2.jpg

For the NC shock cord attachment I took a 3" bulk plate and a 6" Eye bolt. I drilled 4 1/4" holes in the bulk plate, you unscrew the aluminum NC tip, put the 3" bulk plate on the eye bolt and slide it into the NC, screw the NC tip back on and wrap tape around the joint to seal it, now pour some epoxy into the tip, this with secure everything and also keep the NC tip centered.
s3.jpg

As I said Shear pins will hold the coupler into the NC & BT. I was concerned with one, the drogue charge jamming the coupler in the NC and two, the thrust breaking the shear pins and having the coupler slide down into the BT, I'm flying a 98mm CTI K4000VM at Red Glare so yes this could happen. Both issues I solved by used a 3/8" piece of coupler in the NC and a 1" piece in the BT. You can see the band in NC in the above pic and in the BT below.
s4.jpg

Last edited:
BFR coordinator did receive your submission. I'm sure he will get back to you.

Mike

Gary,
Great to read your ebay setup and see the pictures....yes very cool. No matter what the rocket size, recovery methods allow for so much creativity...underappreciated watching from the flightline. This will make seeing the Stinger launch in 3 weeks alot more interesting.
Thankyou
Tom C.

Last edited:
OTRAG in California
FUNNEL CONE in New York NYPOWER

otragonscale[1].jpg

_DSC1842.JPG

Last edited:
Back