Balsa Machining

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA

Reaction score
Someplace in one of threads related to the SEMROC news, I think a comment was made along the lines that Balsa Machining is no longer? Is this correct? I tried a search here to see if there was a thread regarding this and didn't find anything, but I wanted to check. It appears my 5 month absence has really put me behind the curve. I apologize in advance if this old news. I have some projects that I'll need parts and wanted to make sure so I can start looking for other sources.

Thanks for your time and sorry for any aggravation.
Steve

BMS is up and running and doing very well. They moved to NV and have placed many orders through us. Bill and Mary Ann love the warm winters out there.

Balsa Machining Services announced a while back that they weren't going to be doing custom orders anymore, but were going to focus on their core standard product lines. Hence, the comment someone made in the SEMROC thread that they weren't doing a lot of balsa machining anymore, other than a small number of standard cones (small, being a relative term compared to the traditional SEMROC variety, doesn't equate to insignificant!!).

I've had great service from BMS and recommend them heartily.

Marc

Uncle Mike's is phasing out their plastic cones in favor of an expanded line of balsa. Makes me wonder what's happening there.

I just recieved an Order from BMS yesterday, and must say that I was so impressed with the Quality of the Balsa Sheets that they are now going to be my only Source for Balsa Sheets. I look forward to doing plenty of business with them in the future.:)

Okay, thanks guys! I'm still sort of reeling over the SEMROC news and was kind of worried that my scratch building days were coming to an end. Good news indeed. Thanks again!
Steve

BMS is alive and well...fantastic vendor, in my opinion. Bill it's not only a true enthusiast, but a master craftsman. He just did some custom HPR work for me...awesome job. I also buy most my HPR motors from him as well; BMS pre order prices are the best around.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Rocketry Forum mobile app

That raises a question, if we do want/need custom machined wood parts, is there anyplace to turn other than "knowing a guy"?

That raises a question, if we do want/need custom machined wood parts, is there anyplace to turn other than "knowing a guy"?
Yes, getting to know a guy. That is, ask here, and ask on your local club's favorite forum. You could even ask on Craig's List.

The point is that lots of folks can do onesy-twosy stuff, but they won't if they're not aware of the need, so you have to beat some bushes. Afterward, you status will be "knowing a guy" :)

I've turned quite a few cones for various DARS members over the years. Payment in Miller Lite is appreciated :)

Doug

I received my March/April issue of “Sport Rocketry”* and for the first time there were no ads for Semroc or Quest.

I know that Quest was purchased and absorbed by AeroTech but I have to wonder how much time and effort will be given to the “Model Rocket” end of the combined business.

Wonder if we will even see anything new from Quest.

*It was the very first “Swimchute” issue.

Copied from the "VENDOR" sticky thread.

Cone Maker, Decal Maker
Roachwerks/Excelsior

Making custom nose cones to order balsa, hardwoods, foam/fiberglass.

Scale kits

And!

Waterslide decals.
"I'm a sandman. I've never killed anyone. I terminate runners when their time is up." Logan from "Logan's Run"

https://excelsiorrocketry.com/

For birch ply and G10, you can get some great parts cut on a CNC router by Wingarcher on this forum. Look here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?51148-Latest-from-UpscaleCNC

Indeed, UpscaleCNC was started to provide just that- it's why I bought a CNC machine in the first place, I wanted to be able to make parts that didn't exist in the hobby and no one was available to do them. Wound up doing a bunch of wholesale stuff, and so on. Haven't made a web site up yet but feel free to contact me via pm here until I do get cracking on the web. I will respond promptly.

Nat

Good to know!
At some point this year I will have access to a metal lathe and laser cutter, but that still leaves a gap for turning wood and milling fiberglass.

Copied from the "VENDOR" sticky thread.

Cone Maker, Decal Maker
Roachwerks/Excelsior

Making custom nose cones to order balsa, hardwoods, foam/fiberglass.

Scale kits

And!

Waterslide decals.
"I'm a sandman. I've never killed anyone. I terminate runners when their time is up." Logan from "Logan's Run"

https://excelsiorrocketry.com/

Yes...I can confirm that Sandman is a true craftsman. I will order all of my custom cones from Excelsior from now on!

Cheers,
Michael

Yes...I can confirm that Sandman is a true craftsman. I will order all of my custom cones from Excelsior from now on!

Cheers,
Michael

I can re-confirm that. Very happy with the work he did for me. Very happy.

Back