Compatibility: GLR 54-38 Slimline motor adapter and CTI Pro-38 motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomSmith58

Reaction score
I have the GLR Slimline adapter and I just received my first CTI Pro-38 motor casings in the mail. I looked online at the CTI Pro-38 design and I see it has a big flange integrated into the nozzle that protrudes past the end of the motor. Are these two compatible? I am worried about that.

I also have the GLR 54mm Slimline retainer for my rocket. It is a GLR Mariah-54. Since it is a minimum diameter rocket I do not want to get a motor that sticks out past the retainer into the breeze. The GLR website says they are compatible. However, when I get a 54mm motor casing set I want to make sure I get one that fits and doesn't stick out. Will the CTI 54mm motor tuck in nice behind my retainer or would I be better off going with another brand of motor like Loki?

Thanks

I have the GLR Slimline adapter and I just received my first CTI Pro-38 motor casings in the mail. I looked online at the CTI Pro-38 design and I see it has a big flange integrated into the nozzle that protrudes past the end of the motor. Are these two compatible? I am worried about that.

I also have the GLR 54mm Slimline retainer for my rocket. It is a GLR Mariah-54. Since it is a minimum diameter rocket I do not want to get a motor that sticks out past the retainer into the breeze. The GLR website says they are compatible. However, when I get a 54mm motor casing set I want to make sure I get one that fits and doesn't stick out. Will the CTI 54mm motor tuck in nice behind my retainer or would I be better off going with another brand of motor like Loki?

Thanks

Pro38 definitely 100% fits in adapters.

But the 54mm slimline will still stick up past the airframe.

Thanks CarVac. When you say the slimline retainer will stick out t
Do you mean the retainer is lager in diameter than the airframe or that the nozzle flange of a Pro-54 is larger in diameter than the retainer? If you mean the latter what brand of 54 mm engine won't stick out past the retainer?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Thanks CarVac. When you say the slimline retainer will stick out t
Do you mean the retainer is lager in diameter than the airframe or that the nozzle flange of a Pro-54 is larger in diameter than the retainer? If you mean the latter what brand of 54 mm engine won't stick out past the retainer?

All AT and CTI motors fit in slimlines, and new Loki cases in the shorter sizes of 54 (and all 38), but AMW motors and larger Loki 54 don't fit slimline retainers.

Slimline retainers are slim, but they nonetheless are larger than the airframe, by necessity (for bonding).

Slimline retainers are slim, but they nonetheless are larger than the airframe, by necessity (for bonding).

CarVac is correct. The Slimline has to be bigger than the airframe to attach. If it fit inside the airframe, your motor would not. I have a Slimline on my Mariah 38. It is very nice, and probably the easiest retainer that you could use on a min. diameter rocket. It will add a little drag, but you will get plenty of performance with it. You can use an Aero Pack min. diameter retainer, that is completely inside the rocket, but this requires a bit more skill. You can also use a filler like Aeropoxy Light to blend the Slimline retainer into the airframe and give you a little more streamlining. Good luck with your build and rocket. It is a very cool rocket.

All AT and CTI motors fit in slimlines, and new Loki cases in the shorter sizes of 54 (and all 38), but AMW motors and larger Loki 54 don't fit slimline retainers.

At this time, it is believed that all Loki Research 38mm motors will not fit Slimline retainers, or are very close to fitting. The last run of 38mm cases that just came in this week were to have had the thrust ring moved back to accommodated the Slimline retainers, but unfortunately the requested change was not made for some reason and they are the same as all the others. I will verify the fit/no fit of the 38mm hardware at the next KLOUDBusters launch April 12/13.

Loki Research 54mm 1200, 1600 and 2000 cases that were made from 2012 and on will fit Slimline retainers. These cases have a thinner external thrust ring groove, a smaller diameter thrust ring, and were hardcoat anodized a dark blue.

I do not believe the 76mm hardware will fit any Slimline retainer, but I will also verify this at the next launch with Kent from Giant Leap.

Thanks

I have both the 38mm CTI and AT cases as well as the 54mm CTI case and both 54mm and 38mm GLR slimline retainers fit nicely with these cases. Keeping in mind, as others pointed out, that they are wider than the diameter of the rocket. I am also in the middle of a Maria 38 build and opted to use the Aero Pack internal retainer system for this build just to keep in-line with the MD theme, which I decided was important for me.

I thought I would chime in here and help out on the Loki and slim line question, I have all but one of the 38mm Loki cases (soon to fix that):) and all you have to do to get Loki cases to fit is make a small spacer ring out of some 38mm motor tube. My ring measures .37 inches long, you use that instead of the the metal ring they supply. It works the same way it just holds down on the spiral thrust ring instead, its a good snug fit. I have launched several rockets this way and it works great.

TA

20140328_174923.jpg

20140328_174109.jpg

20140328_174052.jpg

I thought I would chime in here and help out on the Loki and slim line question, I have all but one of the 38mm Loki cases (soon to fix that):) and all you have to do to get Loki cases to fit is make a small spacer ring out of some 38mm motor tube. My ring measures .37 inches long, you use that instead of the the metal ring they supply. It works the same way it just holds down on the spiral thrust ring instead, its a good snug fit. I have launched several rockets this way and it works great.
TA

That also works with the AMW 38mm cases. IF you can find some reloads.

Has anyone seen the Aero Pack M38 Loki adapter? How does it attach?

Back