"Model Rocketry: The Space Age Hobby" film...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Duffy

Reaction score
There has been some discussion of this film on "the other forum" in recent days, so I dug up the source file and posted it to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/6NpgEsyqjWQ

"Model Rocketry: The Space Age Hobby" was produced as a recruiting and outreach tool by the NAR in the early '60s. The writer and producer was Charles Hans, and the film was narrated NAR founder G. Harry Stine. Terry Dean learned of the existence of a copy of this film in the University of Maryland- College Park library way back in early 2008, and based on his tip we were able to work with the library to get a digital copy. That digital copy was included on the Old Rocketeer Reunion DVD set, which is available from NARTS at:

https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/store.asp?groupid=9270081141341

If anyone can shed any additional light on the contents of the film, please add to the comments!

Enjoy,
James

Last edited:
How did UM end up with it ? Funny, I only live like 10 minutes from there.

I wonder if they have anything else interesting......

How did UM end up with it ? Funny, I only live like 10 minutes from there.

I wonder if they have anything else interesting......

NAR headquarters was once in the DC-Baltimore metro area, so I suspect that might have something to do with the film ending up in the UM-CP library.

I asked the librarian if they had any other model rocketry-related stuff, but this was the only thing he could find.

James

It is interesting to see the old site which is now Bandimere Speedway. The current site is now a little over a mile to the East. Those kids in the film are now our "Old Farts" and still using sanding sealer on balsa nose cones. With four NAR clubs and Tripoli you can still find multiple rocket launches every weekend along the Front Range.

I think that launch system was displayed at last Summer's NSL dinner.

Last edited:
I posted this over on YORF. I apologize if anyone has a hissie over a cross-post...

Thanks for posting the video James. A real nostalgia tour for me. I knew G. Harry Stine and served on the NAR Board of Trustees with him. What I enjoyed was several views of Bill Roe, an older gentleman in glasses and ballcap in several scenes. Bill was the contest director for NARAM-11 at the Air Force Academy in 1969. That was my first NARAM having just started competition in 1968. I took a couple of thirds or so and back then they took pictures of the placing contestants with the Contest Director. It was sent to and appeared in my local newspaper. I will attach the picture.

As Bill Cosby said, I told you that story to tell you this one...

NARAM-52 was held in Pueblo, CO and dedicated to Bill Roe. They were looking for pictures and I offered mine. The cover of the contestants booklet included the Bill Roe half of the picture.

Looking back, I wish I had bought one of the MMI towers. Loved the one scene in the video of the model rocket motors because of the Coaster motors behind them.

Thanks again!

Chas
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited:
James, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing that film again. It has been years since seeing it for the first time, and I had forgotten about it.
I never caught that it was available on NARTS.
Thanks again for the trip down memory lane!
Greg

There has been some discussion of this film on "the other forum" in recent days, so I dug up the source file and posted it to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/6NpgEsyqjWQ

"Model Rocketry: The Space Age Hobby" was produced as a recruiting and outreach tool by the NAR in the early '60s. The writer and producer was Charles Hans, and the film was narrated NAR founder G. Harry Stine. Terry Dean learned of the existence of a copy of this film in the University of Maryland- College Park library way back in early 2008, and based on his tip we were able to work with the library to get a digital copy. That digital copy was included on the Old Rocketeer Reunion DVD set, which is available from NARTS at:

https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/store.asp?groupid=9270081141341

If anyone can shed any additional light on the contents of the film, please add to the comments!

Enjoy,
James
Great film. It would be nice to produce an updated version of it at a NARAM or other large launch. Virtually identical narration could be used with modern video footage.

I've lost track of another old model rocketry video that I thought was on YouTube. It was a B&W film that, I think, showed the first NARAM.

Thank you for posting the link. I'd never seen this film before and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sadly, the military is no where as supportive of modeling activities on installations as they were in the 60's and 70's.

Rob

This one is a good Model Rocketry video, but it is not very "general" as it is TARC focused (on the Pentagon's STEM video website):

https://www.ndep.us/Its-a-Blast

Great film. It would be nice to produce an updated version of it at a NARAM or other large launch. Virtually identical narration could be used with modern video footage.

I've lost track of another old model rocketry video that I thought was on YouTube. It was a B&W film that, I think, showed the first NARAM.

Back