What tools to cut plywood for baffle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drill press circle cutter w/slinding arm can cut inside or outside up to about 4.5 " they have bigger ones but my drill press only goes down to 620 rpm .NEVER use one of these bits in a handheld drill.

drill press circle cutter w/slinding arm can cut inside or outside up to about 4.5 " they have bigger ones but my drill press only goes down to 620 rpm .NEVER use one of these bits in a handheld drill.

At the risk of a dumb question, what is the largest size hole saw appropriate for a hand drill? Aside from a potential wrist injury if the bit bites hard, what is the risk of large hole saws in hand drills?

hole saws are not a problem with hand held drill usually you dont want to use a 4" hole saw cutting 2" deep. If you can try to clamp the work down it will try to bite into the wood

I use the Dremel Circle cutter. Works well for me. I cut a little over size and sand to line for tight fit.
Wear hearing protection.

JP

At the risk of a dumb question, what is the largest size hole saw appropriate for a hand drill? Aside from a potential wrist injury if the bit bites hard, what is the risk of large hole saws in hand drills?

not an easy answer, depends on the drill, material, operator strength, bit. I'd say around a 3" if your not too tool savy, but if you know your way around tools & use them alot, no reason you cant do a 4" hole.

They are talking about a "circle cutter", not a "hole-saw".

circlecutter.JPG

Jerome

Back