What do you take to the field?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enderw88

New to the game
Reaction score
The hardest part about searching is finding something hiding behind very common words. This is one of those...

I am putting together my "field kit". Here is what I think I need to take to the field. (Assume a long drive from home)

1. Airframes!
  2. Motors
  3. Ignitors
  4. Recovery Wadding
  5. Launcher
  6. Fresh launcher battery
  7. Scotch Tape
  8. Spare launch lugs
  9. CA Glue
  10. Tite bond
  11. Spare Parachutes
  12. Extra shock cords/rubber
  13. Thread to repair shrouds

This will be my first long distance trip to launch. Am I missing anything?

Other items in my field kit:

Masking Tape
5-Min Epoxy
Hobby Knife
Clothespins
Pen/Pencil
Pad of paper
Small file
3' long 0.5" dowel
Paper towels
Wet wipes

Creature comforts:

Hat
Chair(s)
Small folding table
E-Z Up canopy for shade

Jerome :)

All good lists so far -- "all of the above."

When I am going to launch, it depends if I am just going to launch for the "morning" or "afternoon," or "all day," or only to launch a fairly limited number of specific rockets.

If I know I only have 3-4 rockets and only want to launch them each a couple times, I cut my cargo load down about 50%. I'll take the motors I know I want to use and maybe a handful of extras. My basic range box contains the field tools (scissors, pliers, clothespins, safety knife, etc) and supplies (dog barf, tape, CA glue) I need to keep things flying.

If I am going to be there several hours and want to launch an unknown number of rockets, I load up both of my big plastic storage-tote gear boxes along with a dozen or so rockets and several cartonloads of motors. I bought a midsize SUV partly for the reason of hauling rocket junk, I might as well take everything.

If you're going to be out in the sun at all, take sunscreen along with a hat which will keep the sun off your head.

Last edited:
All of the above plus some pliers to extract motors if needed and some spare parachutes.

I dont often travel far to fly so usually cut the load down;

Simgle rocket
Launcher
12v battery
Launch pad...didnt see that in lists above
Tent pegs...to hold launch pad down
CA glue
Masking Tape
Pliers
Pen and paper
Camera
Motors and Ignitors

Rockets are the ONLY reason I have a van. You can't get an 8' rocket into a Fiat. I tried. We also have the luxury of three day launches. It's camping, cooking, sleeping and eating for rockets. I even have a chem toilet. The list is endless. I should have an RV but I'm cheep. It doesn't matter what you take, because whatever critical component or tool you need will be at home, sitting on the work bench!

Last edited:
Rockets are the ONLY reason I have a van. You can't get an 8' rocket into a Fiat. I tried. We also have the luxury of three day launches. It's camping, cooking, sleeping and eating for rockets. I even have a chem toilet. The list is endless. I should have an RV but I'm cheep. It doesn't matter what you take, because whatever critical component or tool you need will be at home, sitting on the work bench!

Yep, at one point we even considered a small mobile home but could never quite decide on which model. We used to drag all kinds of stuff with us but now we do as much prepping as possible before we go, take only what we intend to fly and only what's needed for that day. Travel lite! A well stocked range box is really all you need with the items already listed above.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

I have a Full Size Van:
I'm an hour away from almost all our Launch sites so I take everything but the paint shop LOL!
I have a "Glues & Adhesives" box, two Range boxes, Electronic/electric Repair box, Cordless Drill, Dremels Bits & accessories, gas soldering iron, Weather Station, Cameras, spare Launch systems. Ready Motors Ammo Box, Spare Motors "Stock Box", Tree Retrieval pole, Tables, Chairs, 12'x12' EZUP, and hand tool box. Oh yeah and at least 200 micro models as well as a box of Standard models. In the last 20+years I don't believe our club as had a situation come up that I didn't have the ability to repair or fix right on the field.

Everything except the kitchen sink and somehow I manage to fit it all in a compact car. Of course there is no room for passengers.

Actually I have to be selective about what rockets I take.

People got some laughs when I had a hacksaw in my tool box. Shortened a rocket that was a lawn dart, and flew it a second time.

My list is too long. I have a 5x10 foot trailer. I still find things I forgot.

My list is too long. I have a 5x10 foot trailer. I still find things I forgot.

That is one of the reasons I take a pad of paper and a pen! I write down things I need and add them to the kit. :)

After a few years, you get most of the essentials.

Jerome

I have a Full Size Van:
I'm an hour away from almost all our Launch sites so I take everything but the paint shop LOL!
I have a "Glues & Adhesives" box, two Range boxes, Electronic/electric Repair box, Cordless Drill, Dremels Bits & accessories, gas soldering iron, Weather Station, Cameras, spare Launch systems. Ready Motors Ammo Box, Spare Motors "Stock Box", Tree Retrieval pole, Tables, Chairs, 12'x12' EZUP, and hand tool box. Oh yeah and at least 200 micro models as well as a box of Standard models. In the last 20+years I don't believe our club as had a situation come up that I didn't have the ability to repair or fix right on the field.

With the amount of crap you bring to a launch John, I can't believe Mary hasn't thrown you out of the house !!! :y:

:D

I bring extra rockets, so I don't have to repair anything on the field.

Stuffer1.jpgStuffer2.jpgStuffer3.jpg
Here is my "stuffer" for packing chutes, wadding, streamers, and shock cord. Man does this save time on LPR rockets!

View attachment 167061View attachment 167062View attachment 167063
Here is my "stuffer" for packing chutes, wadding, streamers, and shock cord. Man does this save time on LPR rockets!

Oooo! That's fancy! I've got a foot long 3/8" dowel sitting in my box (forgot to add that to the list above).

A note to folks that may want to add something like this to their kit.. Remember that we aren't packing a muzzle loading riffle here. If you ram your wadding in too tight, it might not come out! I taught my little nephew to "stir" the "dog barf" and not ram it home!

Jerome

I used to use smaller rockets to ram the dog bark down. Handles from my channel locks work nicely too.

The rockets and engines that I will use that day.
Maybe extra engines.
Small range box.
Larger range box for the rockets and engines.
Igniters/plugs.
Parachute wadding.
Estes launch pad with "regular" and "maxi" rods.
"Clothes hanger" anchors.
Estes launch controller and a Quest launch controller.
Extra batteries.

Main rocket bag -- motor box, small tools box including spacers, delay drilling and mini flashlight for looking down small tubes, camera, tape, 4 kinds of wadding.
Rockets
Chair and "table" chair
Heavy tools box -- rattail file sometimes needed first launch on 1/4" rod, cam tripod, just in case Electron Beam launcher
Chemicals bag -- sunblock, alcohol, vinegar, etc.
Tray -- for building motors on
Regular toolbox (non rocketry)
Drinx and snax

Latest posts

Back