Useless Bitching about Ads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question is: what is everyone willing to do to get rid of the ads?

well Chuck , that was a lead balloon, dead silence.. :flyingpig:

I agree. The problem has been we are a small community. If you stand up an alternative, competition is good, but there is not enough traffic to share. Remember Rocketry planet.

If you go subscription, you loose members.

If you go ads, you have to live with the ridiculous ads.

Bottom line: Put up with some ads or everybody gets charged $20 per year. Take your pick.

As former, and reformed moderator, of the defunct Rocketryplanet.com I think you need to generate revenue. I get it. You need to make sure you are not outing up too many adds though- I guarantee it will drive some folks away.

$20 bucks a years for forum membership- that is likely too much. I know I would likely be gone, and I bet fifty percent might bail as well. $5 or $10 a year max. How many individual accounts are there on TRF? How much does it cost to run a server running vbulletin per year?

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

How about not putting ads over pictures?

Please address this query.

How about not putting ads over pictures?

Please address this query.
Was this not addressed and corrected almost immediately when it happened? I don't believe it's happened again, has it?

Was this not addressed and corrected almost immediately when it happened? I don't believe it's happened again, has it?

I don't know, I haven't posted a picture since. Is it safe to do so?

I run 2 vbulletin sirs. The other is a niche hobby also. Cost $600-1200 a year.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I hate all these ads.

I have to say the adds are going to kill me here. To much bandwidth on my phone. The couple they had was fine but messing with the forum and adding more is crazy. Sorry i understand its about money but this is going to get worse before the end. People will quit coming so how much revenue do you get for a dead forum?

My question is: what is everyone willing to do to get rid of the ads?

I was willing to install ABP. It took all of 10 seconds and a few clicks, and they're gone. Others are willing to complain over and over, but that doesn't seem to work to get rid of the ads. Hmmm...

I'm more than willing to pay a subscription to this web site. Not to get rid of ads, just because I like it and am willing to support it.

I too would be willing to pay a subscription if the ads go away. I may live with rocketry ads. I do not want to see ads on AARP......

I would not be willing to pay a subscription regardless of amount, especially to a site that is not rocketeer owned. Frankly I am waiting for Chuck to start the new rocketry site he was hinting at a few posts past, and I will join that. Don't misunderstand, I like this forum and I have no ads, so I have no problem. I will stay forever and visit daily until the day they require payment. Then I am out.

So Chuck, what will you call your new forum site?
:wink:

The ads here were getting to be a real pain and making the forum load SLOW. Just installed free Adblock Plus as suggested. No more ads!

The ads here were getting to be a real pain and making the forum load SLOW. Just installed free Adblock Plus as suggested. No more ads!

Funny how that works isn't it?

Not only does TRF load fast but a lot of other sites I normally visit load faster too now that I have adblock going...

-Dave

The moaning and groaning is ridiculous.

If you are a TRF member, why aren't you logged in? If so, there are 3 banner ads per page: The top ad is the old TRF banner ad, and the lower 2 are newer commercial banner ads. They do not significantly change anything.

I have to say the adds are going to kill me here. To much bandwidth on my phone. The couple they had was fine but messing with the forum and adding more is crazy. Sorry i understand its about money but this is going to get worse before the end. People will quit coming so how much revenue do you get for a dead forum?
Use Forum Runner.

That's also a solution.

Bob

g.

That's also a solution.

Bob

It's only a solution for the displaying of Ads, but not the bandwidth hogging things the Ads trying to access, only that you don't see it.
I stopped my bitching. Does no good anyway, only causes more Bitching.

Last edited:
The moaning and groaning is ridiculous.

...and it wears people out.

Seriously.

If you guys want a significant portion of why I no longer own this forum, then you need to look no further than the statement from Bob that I quoted.

It didn't matter what we did, we were wrong, and the threads whining about it would go on, and on, and on, and on. It started sucking the life out of the hobby for me.

Now, there are some ads here. Guess what? Almost every website I use has ads, and many of them they're more intrusive than they are here.

If you'd put half the energy into adding useful content to this forum that you put into pissing and moaning about ads, think about the amount of beneficial content there would be here.

If you want to know what drives potential users away faster than ads, look at threads like this. Does a site where a lot of the initial content that you see is people pissing and moaning sound very fun or inviting to look at? Would it attract you to stick around?

Exactly what I was thinking. If we want more users on the forum, all of this whining will get us nowhere. Why don't we just IGNORE THE SUBJECT FOREVER. :) I don't mind them, they are not intrusive, I actually find it fun seeing what ads are on the page... You get what I am saying. :)

...and it wears people out.

Seriously.

If you guys want a significant portion of why I no longer own this forum, then you need to look no further than the statement from Bob that I quoted.

It didn't matter what we did, we were wrong, and the threads whining about it would go on, and on, and on, and on. It started sucking the life out of the hobby for me.

Now, there are some ads here. Guess what? Almost every website I use has ads, and many of them they're more intrusive than they are here.

If you'd put half the energy into adding useful content to this forum that you put into pissing and moaning about ads, think about the amount of beneficial content there would be here.

If you want to know what drives potential users away faster than ads, look at threads like this. Does a site where a lot of the initial content that you see is people pissing and moaning sound very fun or inviting to look at? Would it attract you to stick around?

I am just looking for one answer that I have NOT seen DIRECTLY addressed, will there be ads placed over pictures posted by forum members?

I have downloaded every ad blocking program I can find and the ads are still here. WTF?

Generally most of the better ad-blocking programs are browser specific, and some of the ad-blocking programs that you actually download are quite harmful to your computer, i.e. they are scareware or actually add advertisements and popups. I do not know if you have installed it, but, as numerous users here have reported, AdBlock Plus for Mozilla Firefox/Safari or AdBlock Pro for Chrome is the most popular and vetted solution. I will be posting an installation guide shortly.

Guide is Up

Last edited:
Back