Level 1 Cert questions.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just read over the NAR outline for how to gain a Level 1 certification, but I still have 2 questions.

First, if I'm going to build and launch a rocket on an H motor, how can I buy the H motor without having my L1? When I order it from a web site do I indicate that it's for the L1 flight or do I need one of the folks in the certification team to sell me one the day of the flight?

Second, item 11 on the list says that the certification card is valid for one year. So these certification flights are required every year to maintain the L1 status?

A friend of mine at work and I are planning on getting our L1 Certifications this year. The first step will be to join NAR, but I want to be clear on how all of this works before I get started.

Thanks!

This is the way it is here up north. You are allowed to buy 1 motor before cert(to use for cert) you just send them your NAR #,name ect, they will know if your a member or not. Yes membership is only valid for a year, but once your cert,it's for life.

Almost any vendor will sell you one "H" or "I" motor if you explain it is for certification purposes. What may or may not be a problem for you with buying just one motor on line is it may have HAZMAT fees for shipping (not sure if all H reloads have HAZMAT or not) which could be more than the cost of the motor.

A cheaper solution is that once you are a member make arrangements with an onsite vendor to take delivery of the motor at the launch.

If I understand correctly, NAR certifications are good for as long as you are a member now and even if your membership lapses you will be reinstated at your certification level once you rejoin.

AT 29mm H and I do not have hazmat fees. The reloads that is. SU likely will. (Ok most loads.)

Last edited:
I have been going through the same questions as I'm doing my L1 hopefully this weekend (if the weather cooperates). I ordered an H123 with hardware. You have to give your NAR # and can only buy 1 for certification purposes. Red Arrow has the H123 on sale for cert purposes. Because of the hazmat fee, I stocked up on G64-4s for my Saturn also to make it worth while.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

It's written in the NAR certification rules (somewhere) that anyone can possess one high power load for certification purposes. You only need to certify once - now forever. It used to be that if you let your membership lapse for (don't remember how long) you had to recertify, that is no longer the case. If you do go away for any length of time then rejoin, your certification stands as long as you have an old card or your NAR number in memory.

I think that one year expiration date is for the temporary card that is used prior to you getting a permanent plastic one in the mail.

Your membership is good for one year, renewable annually. Your CERTIFICATION is lifetime, as long as your membership is current. If you let your membership lapse for more than one year, you have to re-certify. that is Tripoli's rules. I am sure NAR is the same.

Back