What Became Of The Launch Pad TALOS???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
64mm is like other LOC motor mount tubes in thickness (38mm and 54mm). If you use a LOC cone on them, there is still a bit of a lip from the thicker tube.

Got some booster fin skeletons cut out today...

These will get the balsa treatment much like the forward vanes...

Except these will have a diamond airfoil like the real booster...

IMG_1777-1.jpg

Hey Top,

I got some more work on the fins done recently...

Here are the booster fins prepped for skinning... (and the finished product ready for primer)

Also pictured are the rear sustainer fins... (made out of homemade plywood using sheets of 1/32" bass wood)

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

Wow! Those look great!!!
I suspect you'll be finished with yours before me. I still have a lot of things to work out, and there are some steps required where I'm at now that require outdoor work, and that is'nt going to happen anytime soon in these sub-zero Temps.

Last edited:
I used the drill press this morning to make holes for the antennas...

Then inserted 1/16" wire... (very sturdy)

I do not like witches hats... (will not make them):facepalm:

Can you point me in the direction of a less pointy nose cone for the ramjet portion... (closer to scale appearance)

IMG_1790.jpg

The business end of this rocket is proving to be difficult to make... (it's a conical mounted to an eliptical encased in an olgive with the front cut off)

And I thought the antennas would be the hard part... (but that was easy, err kind of...)

I refuse to make a witches hat... (so I could use some help finding a suitable plastic conical)

Approximate dimensions... (1' OD x 1 and 1/4" long)

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
The business end of this rocket is proving to be difficult to make... (it a conical mounted to an eliptical encased in an olgive with the front cut off)

And I thought the antennas would be the hard part... (but that was easy, err kind of...)

I refuse to make a witches hat... (so I could use some help finding a suitable plastic conical)

Approximate dimensions... (1' OD x 3/4" long)

Thanks in advance...

Why do you hate the Paper Hats so much?
I pack them full of PC Steel Epoxy or pour in PC Superpoxy, then sand away the Paper to end up with a perfect cone that is hard as a Rock in the end with no Seams.

Using the Method of packing the Epoxy Putty into the Paper Hat Tips has the added benefit of forcing them into perfect uniform concentricity, as long as you've made them cleanly in the first place.
The Beauty of the Paper Hats is that you can continue to print more for free, and of any dimensions you desire. You can even draw them by hand with a simple Formula, and a Compass and Rule.:)
Infact, I absolutely love Cardstock Paper Hats!!!
I've had the best results with 110# Cardstock that I get at Walmart for like $4.45 for 100 Sheets. If I need to "Steam It" to make the initial contours, I simply prepare it by laying it flat and rubbing it very gently with 400 Grit or higher Sandpaper, then simply breathing on it a few times or holding it over my Coffee Mug for a few seconds.

If my Cone comes out Decent, I'de make another one just to have.
If that is the Case, that I get good at making the Cones of this Design, then perhaps someday I could Trade you a Cone for a Set of your Fins?
I know that I plan to build atleast a couple of this Bird, as I love the Design, and can gaurantee that my first Version will leave lots of room for Improvement.

I could also, if you would like make you a Paper Hat that is packed with the PC Steel, and then Fiberglassed on the outside, over the Paper, and rough-sanded.
(I'de have to assume that beneath the Conical Cone, you would have figured out your elipsiod portion)
Just tell me the exact Dimensions you want, and I'll make it and send it to you free of Charge.
After seeing your Fin Work, and your clever design on the Articulation of the Wings, it would be my Pleasure, and if you don't like the Piece I send you, don't use it and I promise my Feelings would not be hurt, as I too am very particular about everything on my Rockets.
The offer is there anyway for you to take me up on.
The other option you can choose right now is to get one 3D Printed.
There are lots of Threads on this and there was recently a person that was offering to make things for free if you pay the Shipping and provide the Dimensions in the form of some kind of Computer thing that I don't understand or else I'de have asked for some stuff.

Last edited:
I missed most of Jeopardy typing in this Thread:mad:, but when I realized what time it was and tuned in, I RULED, and even got the Final Jeopardy Answer. :headbang::w:
I get the Final most of the time, but it's more gratifying when only one or none of the actual Contestants get it. Tonight a guy that had won for a few days in a row came up with an Idiot Answer, so it was amusing.

Last edited:
I could also, if you would like make you a Paper Hat that is packed with the PC Steel, and then Fiberglassed on the outside, over the Paper, and rough-sanded.
(I'de have to assume that beneath the Conical Cone, you would have figured out your elipsiod portion)
Just tell me the exact Dimensions you want, and I'll make it and send it to you free of Charge.
After seeing your Fin Work, and your clever design on the Articulation of the Wings, it would be my Pleasure, and if you don't like the Piece I send you, don't use it and I promise my Feelings would not be hurt, as I too am very particular about everything on my Rockets.
The offer is there anyway for you to take me up on.
The other option you can choose right now is to get one 3D Printed.
There are lots of Threads on this and there was recently a person that was offering to make things for free if you pay the Shipping and provide the Dimensions in the form of some kind of Computer thing that I don't understand or else I'de have asked for some stuff.

That is a very kind offer... (Thank you for that)

After reading your witches hat epoxy method... (I may just give it a try)

I would also be willing to send you some fins... (after my hands heal)
Even though I was careful with the CA, it occasionally got between me and the work... :y:

I could also give you a tutorial on the fin process if you like... (after-all, you like to build)

64mm is like other LOC motor mount tubes in thickness (38mm and 54mm). If you use a LOC cone on them, there is still a bit of a lip from the thicker tube.

Hey Cave,

Where can I find some of this LOC tubing you have described? I only need 12" or so...

Thanks

Yeah the website sells parts. I'm imagine many dealers have the normal tubing. I'd call and ask on the 64mm motor mount. Not a popular size for hardware (2.5"). Several years ago Barry had cases of it.

Hey Top,

I made some progress on the vanes today...

Here they are before the balsa sandwich proceedure...

They are position specific due to variations in the station mounts... (everyone is unique and not interchangable)

The last picture is a quick dry fit of what I have completed so far of the sustainer section...

This is a fun first scratch build...

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

Lookin' Great!
Mine's not at risk of much progress til' the weather gets nicer.

Last edited:
Hey Top,

Here is a dry-fit with booster attached...

Used your suggestion about doubling the booster wall...

Forward vanes have the first coat of primer...

Still lots of sanding to do...

Need to figure out the innards next...

This pig will fly...

IMG_1256.jpg

Hey Top,

Here is a dry-fit with booster attached...

Used your suggestion about doubling the booster wall...

Forward vanes have the first coat of primer...

Still lots of sanding to do...

Need to figure out the innards next...

This pig will fly...

That's AWESOME!!! Looks like you'll be the first person to have a decent Flyable TALOS!!!:clap:

Kidrocket - thats genius for the swivelling forward vanes - very clever and I daresay I may copy that on my next Rheintochter build. Its so much simpler and more elegant than what I had in mind.

Your TALOS is look amazing.

Kidrocket - thats genius for the swivelling forward vanes - very clever and I daresay I may copy that on my next Rheintochter build. Its so much simpler and more elegant than what I had in mind.

Your TALOS is look amazing.

Thanks Astro,

Let me know if I can help...

I had never heard of the Rheintocher before...

Please post when you start your build...

Here is a grainy video of a Rheintocher launch...

[video=youtube;Fu5A7LZTgvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu5A7LZTgvI[/video]

KIdrocket - already built the version 1 Rheintochter - this year I will be going for broke with a true dual stager. Have a look in the LPR section 0 I just put a vid up of the previous one I made which had some structural issues :)

Well I cant wait to see your TALOS fly....I have been watching the build and its a beautiful bit of work. I am waiting to see if the swivelling front fins work out. People told me having those huge paddles on the front of Rheintochter would be a recipe for disaster - having such bigs fins forward - I put my trust in thrust and they worked out ok. I had originally planned to have swivelling ones like your TALOS but in the end I couldn't figure a way to do it that was workable - I was thinking in terms of lead ballast in the trailing edge of the fin and also having the axle/pinion towards the front - your idea is so much neater.

Astro,

It should be complete and flyable at some point this Spring... (fingers crossed)

I will continue to update and post pictures... (as well as inflight pics, possibly video)

I got my inspiration from TopRamen, so I owe him some gratitude... (cheers Top) :cheers:

The Rheintochter looks to be a more difficult build... (the addition of the booster should help with stability)

Top,

What eliptical cone did you use here?

Astro,

It should be complete and flyable at some point this Spring... (fingers crossed)

I will continue to update and post pictures... (as well as inflight pics, possibly video)

I got my inspiration from TopRamen, so I owe him some gratitude... (cheers Top) :cheers:

The Rheintochter looks to be a more difficult build... (the addition of the booster should help with stability)

Top,

What eliptical cone did you use here?

For the inside elliptical I used a PNC-80 BB. I cut the top of the Cone off, so that left me with a half-cone thingy that I'll use as a Tail Cone on a different build.
I'll likely make one more Epoxy filled paper hat to try a slightly different dimension, then choose the one I like the look of better for actually getting affixed to final product.

For the inside elliptical I used a PNC-80 BB. I cut the top of the Cone off, so that left me with a half-cone thingy that I'll use as a Tail Cone on a different build.
I'll likely make one more Epoxy filled paper hat to try a slightly different dimension, then choose the one I like the look of better for actually getting affixed to final product.

PNC-80 BB from BMS... (what I thought)

Thanks

Back