What Became Of The Launch Pad TALOS???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this where all the Sea Dart fans hang out and wait for the next best thing? If so I'll brew some coffee and wait with you.

A reminder that SEMROC stocks the Sea Dart ramjet nose cone if you want a last chance at an Estes clone while you wait.

Is this where all the Sea Dart fans hang out and wait for the next best thing? If so I'll brew some coffee and wait with you.

A reminder that SEMROC stocks the Sea Dart ramjet nose cone if you want a last chance at an Estes clone while you wait.

Got a Link? I went to their Site and looked but found nothing. I tried their Search, and that did'nt reveal anything either.

That would be cool if it did come out , but with some of these smaller companies things tend to go to the waste side . And I love your signature it rocks . It would be funnier if it was like this

Sent from my 386 with the floppy drive ,VGA green screen and dial up 56k baby Woohoo old school is cool

Got a Link? I went to their Site and looked but found nothing. I tried their Search, and that did'nt reveal anything either.

You need to do a search for PNC 55D which is the Estes part code. semroc have balsa ones assuming they have stock but Sirius Rocketry have a Mouldin Oldies one on their site made from placky.

I was planning an Estes clone but seeing as my Rheintoxhter is going so well ( at least for now ) I am more minded to do a serious upscale Sea Dart with two stages.

Sea Dart = very cool missile :)

It wasn't Talos IV, was it? Because if you go there, you'll get the death penalty. :shock:

I don't want to build the Estes Clone, it is too tiny. I just wanted to see the Nose Cone for the Clone.

You need to do a search for PNC 55D which is the Estes part code. semroc have balsa ones assuming they have stock but Sirius Rocketry have a Mouldin Oldies one on their site made from placky.

I was planning an Estes clone but seeing as my Rheintoxhter is going so well ( at least for now ) I am more minded to do a serious upscale Sea Dart with two stages.

Sea Dart = very cool missile :)

PNC 55D does'nt yeild a Sea Dart Nose Cone either, but no worries, I only wanted to see it, not buy one.

There you go if youw anta. Sea dart make that nose cone out of a paper transition. Thats what I will do eventually. Now bring on the TLP Talos puh lease :)

I emailed them about it last year, and they told me that they had a couple prototypes built, and they were just waiting for the weather to cooperate to fly them. They sent me a picture of one of the prototypes too, and it looks pretty sweet.

-Dave

If it does'nt come out in a few Months, I'm confident I could make one on my own, and may very well try.:)
I'de prefer a TLP Kit to play with, but that's simply because I like to support the Brand, because of the fact that they mostly do Military Missile Style Rockets.

Here's a Picture of two of them getting Angry at the same time. They are Beautiful!!!

In the Pic' you will notice there are Variants of the Same Missile, which makes Modeling them that much more interesting.

My uncle served on a ship in the Navy that had Talos missiles on it. I remember he kept a model of one on his desk. Always thought it was cool.

Adrian

My contribution to cloning. I won a bunch of these in an auction and let Mike borrow one to make the original mold. He sent me a bunch of his "factory seconds" as a thank you. One of the seconds was the cone I used to build my Centuri USS America. (Just before Carl offered it.:wink:) I also lent out my Estes Odyssey cone, but that one took too much product to be flyable, and I don't think he ever figured out a way around the thin spots that resulted from the oddball details on that cone.

My uncle served on a ship in the Navy that had Talos missiles on it. I remember he kept a model of one on his desk. Always thought it was cool.

Adrian

My best friends dad helps design the guidance system for it when he worked at Bendix. He had lots of pictures of it back in the day. (40 years or so ago).

Somebody took the Time to Rate this Thread 1 Star. My guess is that they are a Peace Loving Hippy, who only flies Oddrocs, and does not appreciate the Fact that Rocketry as we know it would not be what it is today if Rockets had not been advanced as Weapons first and foremost.

Screw you 1 Star Rating Guy!!!

Talked to my uncle. He served on the US Little Rock, CLG4/CG4. He said there are lots of Talos photos on www.usslittlerock.org. Of course I forgot to ask what he did on the ship :facepalm:

Adrian

WOW! Thanks for that. I had no appreciation of just how huge the TALOS Missiles were until I viewed some of those Pictures!!!

Bumping my Thread, because I am going to be building a Nose Cone soon to do a Talos Scratch Build.
Now that I've discovered Fiberglass, the Circle around the Cone will be easy to make, and durable enough to meet my Durability Standards.:)

So a Talos build thread will be forthcoming??? What size airframe are you going with?

Adrian

I'll be doing it in BT-80, but I probably will not do a Build Thread.
Maybe I'll show How I make the Nose Cone, but other than that I don't want to make a Thread where all I do is argue with Folks over how much things weigh. That's all build Threads ever devolve into, and it causes me to dislike Folks that I would otherwise get along with just fine.
I'm going to make it so that the Upper two Fin Sets, or maybe just one of them, have Axles and Range of Motion, and I don't want to be dissuaded from doing that by People worrying me about Design Principles or CG and CP concerns. It's not like I'm going to show up at their next "Club Launch" and risk hurting People with my untested Rocket, nor am I going to launch it with Spectators til' it has flown a couple of times safely.
I also get sick of hearing about, "The Guy that overbuilt his TLP Kit, and it did a whirlygig and landshark Cruise Missile and almost took out a Church full of Nuns and a Preschool before finally coming to Rest in the Windshield of a Schoolbus."
Nope, definitely no Build Thread, but when it is done, I will present it here in all its Glory, complete with Successful or Unsuccessful Video of it's Maiden Flight.
Proof will just have to be in the Pudding, or something like that.
AFTER it flies, maybe I'll do a "Sim" on it and share the File, or show how I did the Articulation for the Fins.:)
Probably take me atleast 6 Months to make this happen.

Last edited:
Back