OLD Rocket plans, fin guides,instructions,ect from 1961 on up. Worth anything?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevethecontractor

Reaction score
Our club just aquired a large donated lot of low power stuff. One item in particular is 3 ring binders of hundreds upon hundreds of actual original complete instructional packets of all the manufactures kits from 1961 onward. They have everything needed to duplicate those old classics.

Does anyone think there is a monetary value to them? The collection is quite impressive and weighs about 50lbs worth.

Steve

Our club just aquired a large donated lot of low power stuff. One item in particular is 3 ring binders of hundreds upon hundreds of actual original complete instructional packets of all the manufactures kits from 1961 onward. They have everything needed to duplicate those old classics.

Does anyone think there is a monetary value to them? The collection is quite impressive and weighs about 50lbs worth.

Steve
It's priceless. Please scan them and put them online.

It's worth what you can get someone to pay for it.

If you're interested in sharing them, but don't want to do the scanning, I'd be more than happy to scan them for you, and send the scans to Scott Hansen for inclusion in his public rocket plans collection.

-Kevin

Yes Yes. Motion Carried. Scan them or distribute to others to share the load to scan and upload. Ninfinger.org would be a good place to put it all.

Saw your listing on E(vil)bay regarding this. Looks like a very interesting "bunch of stuff" you have there.

s6

If you're interested in sharing them, but don't want to do the scanning, I'd be more than happy to scan them for you, and send the scans to Scott Hansen for inclusion in his public rocket plans collection.

-Kevin
+1 Steve! 1) it supports your fellow rocketeers 2) you still get to sell the 'hard copies' to old coots like me and 3) NOBODY else has the patience to do this 'cept Troj. (way to step up Kev- you da man!)

-Kevin
There has to be 20,000 pages by my best guess0324140824.jpg0324140823a.jpg0324140823.jpg0324140822c.jpg0324140822b.jpg0324140822a.jpg0324140822.jpg0324140821.jpg0324140820b.jpg0324140820a.jpg

Wow! I will scan them all to a memory stick (a LOT of memory sticks) if you want.

There are Flis kits, semroc, paper rockets, Estes, Quest, and tons more. Full packets of everything. It appears that the full color picture sleeve was kept as well like in the last picture. Many of these rockets from that last picture, we have the kits for and they will be going up on ebay.

Each album has table of contents, full plastic sleeves to hold everything for each rocket and even the remainder of any graphics stock has been saved.

I tend to agree that they should be scanned so everyone can enjoy them. But..... I will have to discuss this at our next launch as these are not mine and whatever our membership agree's upon will be it. We already have gotten an offer on the lot since I have posted here and it is for more than I thought before I posted here.

Steve

I did a scan of one to see how long it would take and I estimate it could take 1000+ hours to do so using my scanner.Opening the pack,laying it out including all the smaller pieces and doing the scan took longer than I thought.
Steve

This is such a weath of infomation and history . You cant put a price on that . The best thing would to archive the whole thing to digital media . On one of the plan sites . That would be the best . Think mine people would help with that . Spread it out to ten or so people and start scanning . Think they would pay shipping both ways . I know I would .

This is such a weath of infomation and history . You cant put a price on that . The best thing would to archive the whole thing to digital media . On one of the plan sites . That would be the best . Think mine people would help with that . Spread it out to ten or so people and start scanning . Think they would pay shipping both ways . I know I would .

With my destroying our high power pad with a recent heavy launch, we might be able to put a price on it.:D
Steve

Please have the plans and templates scanned so hundreds of others can use the plans and enjoy building the oldies.

Well how much you need for your pad? Take that and have people here split it up and they get the plans so they can be scanned for everyone to use . Say 10 people or what ever it takes you get your pad the cost to the guys participating would keep there cost low

Well how much you need for your pad? Take that and have people here split it up and they get the plans so they can be scanned for everyone to use . Say 10 people or what ever it takes you get your pad the cost to the guys participating would keep there cost low

I think our club would want them scanned for everyone to enjoy because that is what we all do and that is why we are here,but I will find out at our next launch at the end of April. If I had the authority I would let you guys scan them, then I will probably put the whole lot up on Ebay sometine in June. The offer I have received already,is more than the cost of our new pad.

Steve

Our of curiosity, who'd be willing to pony up a few pesos to put together a fund to buy these, so they can be scanned and made public for all?

Here's what I'm proposing...

If you're willing to make a donation to such a thing, send me a PM with the amount you're willing to donate to the Cause. Don't send money, just send a commitment. Once I have a total, I can send it to Steve and he can take that to his club as a proposal.

Assuming that happens, the money will then be collected and sent to Steve's club, and the documents obtained (I'll cover shipping costs). The scanning can then be arranged, and these can be made available to the hobby as a whole, on existing plan sharing sites (or a new one, if none of the existing sites care to be involved).

-Kevin

Our of curiosity, who'd be willing to pony up a few pesos to put together a fund to buy these, so they can be scanned and made public for all?

Here's what I'm proposing...

If you're willing to make a donation to such a thing, send me a PM with the amount you're willing to donate to the Cause. Don't send money, just send a commitment. Once I have a total, I can send it to Steve and he can take that to his club as a proposal.

Assuming that happens, the money will then be collected and sent to Steve's club, and the documents obtained (I'll cover shipping costs). The scanning can then be arranged, and these can be made available to the hobby as a whole, on existing plan sharing sites (or a new one, if none of the existing sites care to be involved).

-Kevin

I could come up with some pesos if it comes to that.

I wonder if the Museum of Flight would be interested?

They have an extensive collection of old rockets donated by Vern Estes, and several other Rocketry pioneers.

I wonder if the Museum of Flight would be interested?

They have an extensive collection of old rockets donated by Vern Estes, and several other Rocketry pioneers.

The NAR has a Memorandum of Agreement with the Museum of Flight to assist in the identification, collection, and exhibition of sport rocketry artifacts (as well as to support joint education programs and other things). Vern and Gleda Estes, Bill Stine, and Gary Rosenfield are a big part of this, but we'll also be looking to identify and fill gaps in the history. A large, old, fairly complete collection of papers such as this may contain artifacts that have historical value. If it merely replicates what JimZ has already made available, maybe not, but no one will know unless it is curated.

Digitization will benefit the whole community (does JimZ have a copy of everything in that collection? How can we find out?). I hope you'll consider Troj's ideas carefully, and maybe spend some time trying to assess what's there before deciding what to do with it!

--tc

That's just typical of curators! Every time you need one they are NEVER around. Did anybody check the Doughnut Shoppe?

The NAR has a Memorandum of Agreement with the Museum of Flight to assist in the identification, collection, and exhibition of sport rocketry artifacts (as well as to support joint education programs and other things). Vern and Gleda Estes, Bill Stine, and Gary Rosenfield are a big part of this, but we'll also be looking to identify and fill gaps in the history. A large, old, fairly complete collection of papers such as this may contain artifacts that have historical value. If it merely replicates what JimZ has already made available, maybe not, but no one will know unless it is curated.

Digitization will benefit the whole community (does JimZ have a copy of everything in that collection? How can we find out?). I hope you'll consider Troj's ideas carefully, and maybe spend some time trying to assess what's there before deciding what to do with it!

--tc

I had a very nice phone call with Troj and I am going to take his proposal to my club members. With his proposal, everyone wins.

As far as whats there, it turns out that whats there is even more than I thought was there, from K kit stuff to even an estes educator album as well as what appears to be all the Flis kit stuff as well

Steve

Last edited:
I can also volunteer to do some of the scanning. I've already scanned most of the historical NAR rockets magazines for NARTS. I have two high speed scanners and can get through stuff pretty quickly.

I had a very nice phone call with Troj and I am going to take his proposal to my club members. With his proposal, everyone wins.

As far as whats there, it turns out that whats there is even more than I thought was there, from K kit stuff to even an estes educator album as well as what appears to be all the Flis kit stuff as well

Steve
Great to hear this is being seriously considered.

Bump. PM sent. This is as worthwhile a thing as I've seen for quite some time. Very good idea.

Steve and I had a great conversation about this, and as he said, he's fully supportive of it. Obviously, he's but one voice in the club, and these materials belong to that club. So, they're theirs to do with as they choose.

That said, I'm getting some great support from folks willing to contribute money to help make this happen.

I'm optimistic about this; as things progress, we'll keep you posted. Assuming it happens, there are some logistics for Steve and I to work out, as well as some commitments we each have. All I can say is we're both keeping this idea moving forward.

-Kevin

Great to hear this is being seriously considered.

Winston,

I have had to opportunity to speak with our club President and he is also onboard as well as myself so we have 2 officers for it. I have already emailed the other powers that be with a rundown on what we are trying to do, so at our next launch, we will be able to discuss it further.

Steve

Back