Warp-9 Stunner Photo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeroignite

Reaction score
So at our club launch yesterday, someone (Todd Kerns) loaded up their Wildman Space Cowboy with an AT J1299N.

Our self-appointed club photographer, Jim Jewell, was taking pictures of every launch that day, using a 4-per-second burst mode. I bet that there was no way that was enough to get a photo of the rocket leaving the rod. I was wrong.

UMybKCF.png

Released into the public domain By Jim Jewell, 2014-03-22

Full-res photo is on our club website --- heads-up, it's huge.

I cross-posted this to the Aerotech facebook page, since they are kinda lacking in good Warp-9 photos :)

WOW! THAT is a good shot. Can we get some stats on the photo? (Shutter speed, F#, etc?)

But again, WOW!!

Geez I haven't been on in so long I forgot how to post a pic..my bad.That IS a great shot though!

Geez I haven't been on in so long I forgot how to post a pic..my bad.That IS a great shot though!
Oh good, it is you - post seemed a bit suspicious. spammers have been hitting this place pretty hard lately.

Chad you had a great flight. And you couldn't have had a much simpler recovery. All I know is I heard the bang of the motor and the DS was just gone.
Gary

I flew a rocket of mine on the I1299N-P a couple of times. I renamed it the Disappearing Rocket for those flights. That is an amazing photo! I know my rocket was 130 ft up and going 540 mph just 0.3 seconds into the flight. The fact you caught that pic is just amazing.!!!!

Congrats!

OUTSTANDING photo. Extremely cool.
Thanks for posting (and including the hi-res link).

s6

Wow is that a great shot...........
Thanks for the link Matt............

Teddy

I have to reiterate that the photo isn't mine, I'm just posting here with permission.

As for how fast it went... well, the Altus Metrum on board redlined the accelerometer, so according to it... 15mph. :rofl:

You don't have to be lucky if you use a high-framerate video camera...

[video=youtube;QtNmVub01MY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtNmVub01MY[/video]

(I1299 at 1/16th speed)

to the OP: that is one of the top ten coolest pics I've ever seen of a launch!!!! Kudo's to you for posting & the photographer for catching that!!

If you look closely you can see the alligator clips falling back to earth with the igniter still attached.

That truly is spectacular.

...holy crap, you're totally right.

Yeah when I noticed that I had my wife come look at it and she was stunned.

I am studying Aerospace Engineering and she is studying Chemistry/Material Science so we both nerd out over stuff like this.

Also, I was thinking more into it and it is incredible because the motor is applying a downward force on the igniter and gravity also has a force vector in the same direction. This rocket was flying!

Last edited:
You don't have to be lucky if you use a high-framerate video camera...

[video=youtube;QtNmVub01MY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtNmVub01MY[/video]

(I1299 at 1/16th speed)

Carlo,,,,,,,,
First ----- That's cheating.........
Second----- You shouldn't be launching rockets sideways,,,, ( absolutely flawless angle of the camera [ the aim ] and use of the wide angle lens ).........
Third----- Will my Cannon 60D do that ( high framerate video ) ??????????

Teddy

Carlo,,,,,,,,
First ----- That's cheating.........
Second----- You shouldn't be launching rockets sideways,,,, ( absolutely flawless angle of the camera [ the aim ] and use of the wide angle lens ).........
Third----- Will my Cannon 60D do that ( high framerate video ) ??????????

Teddy

No, here's my 60D video of the same flight.

[video=youtube;cHLVNc1KgIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLVNc1KgIA[/video]

The GoPro did 240 fps, our 60D's only do 60 at the most. At 18mm on my 60D, it was gone in 9 frames.

No, here's my 60D video of the same flight.

[video=youtube;cHLVNc1KgIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLVNc1KgIA[/video]

The GoPro did 240 fps, our 60D's only do 60 at the most. At 18mm on my 60D, it was gone in 9 frames.

Wow is that interesting,,,,,,
Someone at our field got a video of my Altitude Seeker igniting..........
It's insanely cool,,, slow motion........
I would like to try to get more like it with my camera.......
Let me know when you'll be at a launch and I'll bring my camera and tripod........

Teddy

I think I can count eight shock diamonds, I think the only clearer picture I have seen of this is of a SR-71 engine, and that was a static test!

Does anybody know why there is that gap between the rocket and the visible portion of its flame trail?

Is it due to the fact that the part not visible is “burning” at a temperature resulting in a flame above the visible, by humans, light spectrum?

Or has the motor already burned out before the rocket has even left the rail?

If you look closely you can see some distortion of the background in that gap so something is still being expelled from the motor.

And how are we supposed to keep our cars tires inflated to within 3psi of the recommended pressure when all available tire pressure gauges are rated at +- 5psi accuracy?

I was there for that flight, amazing is the only way to describe it.

Back